First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 si sedan, FZ1, CR450R, Shadow 750
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Just got a call from my friend on his way home from work. He was cruising at 60mph in 5th or 6th not accelerating. Sounded like he hit something, which he didn't, and then shaking and smoke and he pulled over and saw the oil puddle. He took a couple pics of the damage. He said he found a motor for $2600 out of a wrecked si but I didn't see the details.

He just runs a ktuner base map and doesn't run the car nearly as hard as I run my si on ethanol tune. Last month he had a misfire on cyl 3 and drove it 15 miles home. I went to check it out and plug 3 was broken. The ceramic was broken but it didn't come apart. Replaced all 4 plugs and it ran great for 4 weeks untill it blew today. It's a 19 with 41k miles. He sold his fk8 earlier this year and it isn't warm enough for bike yet, might be a long month for him.

Honda Civic 10th gen si blown bottom end IMG_20220313_121108_01
Honda Civic 10th gen si blown bottom end IMG_20220313_121100_01

Jeffers

First Name
Jeffers
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Si Coupe purchased on 11-24-19
Country flag
The broken ceramic on the plug could have been an indication of detonation.

racerguy180

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1995 Acura Integra GS-R 2001 Acura Integra GS 2014 Acura MDX Advance
Country flag
Ouch that blows.

The plug is the tell. Was it still white but broken, or discolored and broken?

Guitar_stitch

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic SI, 2006 Honda Element, 2006 Chevy Express
Country flag
Wonder how much tweaking was done to the base map... Would be curious to see what he had set up on there, as well as other mods, oil change history, etc.

Nothing a little JB Weld won't fix right up!

ValkenDnB

First Name
Luis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic
Country flag
So his engine decided to misfire on the ktuner basemap out of nowhere and boom? Or what detail is missing here

dark_knight097

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si
Country flag
If the head is undamaged, I have a stock short block(49k miles) I'd be willing to sell for like 400+ shipping if he wants to save a bit of coin.

He'll need the timing components, oil pan, and sensors though as those were transferred over to my tsp block.

Design

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
09 MS3, 17 ABM Si Sedan
Country flag
A sudden blow while cruising in high gear is (likely) due to a rod that was out of spec and cycled over time to full failure.

My guess is that it was caused by whatever event occurred in Cylinder 3 a month ago. Best of luck to your friend on the repairs.

OP
OP
bbeem

bbeem

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I don't know why I never got notifications on this thread. He got a complete junkyard motor with everything except turbo. Installed and working well for 5 months now. Had a regular ktuner base map no changes before, and again now on the new motor. Catless dp and exhaust is the only other mod. No new problems but these motors aren't the Hondas of yore.

ChefRyeSi

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si Sedan / 04’ CRV EX 5MT
Country flag
I don't know why I never got notifications on this thread. He got a complete junkyard motor with everything except turbo. Installed and working well for 5 months now. Had a regular ktuner base map no changes before, and again now on the new motor. Catless dp and exhaust is the only other mod. No new problems but these motors aren't the Hondas of yore.
What was your friend actually doing? You dont blow the bottom end by using "tuner base maps" and cruising

Jason Baker

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
This looks to be cylinder 4 and not 3. I could be wrong.
Same exact thing happened to mine. Looks identical actually. Difference is, I was on ethanol. Running in 3rd gear at about 30 mph on a slight hill.
Who knows what happened here but $2,600 seems a bit high for a used motor.
This was back in March.
How did this turn out for him?

dark_knight097

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si
Country flag
I have a short block I've been trying to get rid of if he's in need of another motor and the cyl head is still in good condition

OP
OP
bbeem

bbeem

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
This looks to be cylinder 4 and not 3. I could be wrong.
Same exact thing happened to mine. Looks identical actually. Difference is, I was on ethanol. Running in 3rd gear at about 30 mph on a slight hill.
Who knows what happened here but $2,600 seems a bit high for a used motor.
This was back in March.
How did this turn out for him?
I thought it was a little high but it was 2,600 shipped, came looking new wrapped on a pallet ready to drop in. Junkyard had 2 for the same price so he picked the one with lower miles. He said the swap was easy. I gave a hand dropping the new one in and mount and axles but he did everything himself.
Honda Civic 10th gen si blown bottom end IMG_20220430_175752

Honda Civic 10th gen si blown bottom end IMG_20220430_175808

Honda Civic 10th gen si blown bottom end IMG_20220503_190733

OP
OP
bbeem

bbeem

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I have a short block I've been trying to get rid of if he's in need of another motor and the cyl head is still in good condition
You replaced before it was blown? Didn't trust it or it was going bad? I dont know what route I would go if it blew. Just replace it, tsp shortblock or accord 2.0t motor.

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.wunderladenracing.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 FK7
Country flag
As far as engine swaps go the L15B7 is one of the easiest I've swapped, even compared to older cars. If you shop around on car-part.com replacement engines can often be found for under $1000.
Sponsored