SI as a commuter car?

Iibrahim264

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Accord
Since the new Si will have a turbo engine do you think it will be a viable option as a commuter car. Ex 100miles a day round trip to work?
Sponsored

05 Si

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
05 Si Coupe
Since the new Si will have a turbo engine do you think it will be a viable option as a commuter car. Ex 100miles a day round trip to work?
Of course. This new 10th gen Civic is more grown up than ever with a great compliant ride and low exterior noise. Even with the stiffer suspension and louder exhaust that the Si will get, it should be plenty comfortable as a daily driver.

jk147

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic
Should be fine, probably not as nice on gas as its lower HP siblings.

Honda sensing would be great with a 100 mile commute.

OP
OP

Iibrahim264

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Accord
It's a bitch commute lets hope the car is as reliable as other civics cause I'm going to drive a lot. About 20k miles a year

civvie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
civic
It's a bitch commute lets hope the car is as reliable as other civics cause I'm going to drive a lot. About 20k miles a year
If you want extra assurance, buy an extended warranty. It'll give you peace of mind while piling up all those miles.

takemorepills

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1987 Prelude Si
Country flag
If you want a sporty turbo car, then the Si should be fine for commuting. If you want something that'll last 300K miles and get good MPGs, maybe a Corolla or Civic 2.0??

My problem for commuting an Si would be if they are only manual trans. I currently use my GTI DSG as my commuter. Every day, every day traffic is f'ed here. Driving a manual SUCKS in traffic. Hopefully Si gets some kind of automatic trans option.

OP
OP

Iibrahim264

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Accord
Yea but a turbo with an automatic just isn't right imo. I love switching gears and my commute is mostly highway. Thanks god I dont have to sit in 3 hour traffic

BakedTuna

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 Civic Si EP3
I do just under 500 miles a week in my 2002 Si still love it. Many highway miles but it is comfortable enough. And then it is fun when I want it to be.

JYR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
8th gen Si
Country flag
I had a 9gen Si as a DD commuter, about the same distance as you have. I had too much fun with it and drove way too fast to even consider attempting decent fuel economy. I think the best I ever achieved was 21mpg.

If the seats in the 10gen suck as bad as they did in the 9th gen, it may sway my decision. The materials used in the 9th gen, in my opinion, were horrible. Even water stained the seats and thats no joke. The finest amount of dust showed up and the seats always looked dirty.

The car did look sporty and always grabbed attention. Outside of the seats, I enjoyed the car.

I'm hoping the 10gen Si offers Brembo's, Recaro seats, and the 2.0 turbo motor.

Design

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
09 MS3, 17 ABM Si Sedan
Country flag
The Si has always been marketed as the enthusiast's commuter car, similar to the GTI.

Now if we were talking CTR we might see more of a difference of opinions...

takemorepills

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1987 Prelude Si
Country flag
I had a 9gen Si as a DD commuter, about the same distance as you have. I had too much fun with it and drove way too fast to even consider attempting decent fuel economy. I think the best I ever achieved was 21mpg.

If the seats in the 10gen suck as bad as they did in the 9th gen, it may sway my decision. The materials used in the 9th gen, in my opinion, were horrible. Even water stained the seats and thats no joke. The finest amount of dust showed up and the seats always looked dirty.

The car did look sporty and always grabbed attention. Outside of the seats, I enjoyed the car.

I'm hoping the 10gen Si offers Brembo's, Recaro seats, and the 2.0 turbo motor.
Regarding the seats, I have a hunch they are a similar material. I joined in a thread where people were asking about the cloth and they had close-up pics of CivicX cloth. It looks exactly like the crap used in my Titan and my wife's Saabaru...a smooth, tight knit fabric that when it gets dusty, then when it gets any kind of wet, immediately makes OBVIOUS water stains. And cleaning it is a major PITA, basically requires a shampoo vac of the entire affected piece. The CivicX cloth is similar, people won't start complaining until the dust sets in and then gets wet.

Fg4Marko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 SGP FK8, 2019 Touring PWP Coupe
Country flag
My current 2012 Si is a great commuter car, i do approx 100km round trip 99% highway with it and i love it. I even had an 06 Si that was used the same way and i loved it the same. I agree with everything that JYR posted about the car in full, i however dont have any issues with my seats i really like them and have no issues with staining at all. Gas milage isnt a concern really i mean why get a "sporty" car if your worried about how much gas it uses......although gas prices are low now and i really appreciate that lol

Design

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
09 MS3, 17 ABM Si Sedan
Country flag
I think the Si has always struck a good middle ground between performance and efficiency. Doesn't really do one thing great; just does everything reasonably well.

I drove my '00 EM1 over 200K as a commuter and it still topped nearly 30 MPGs on the highway. I expect the new iteration will continue to impress despite 200+ ponies under the hood.
Sponsored