SI an old Geeezer car

pinhead66

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si Sedan, 2018 Odyssey EX-L
Country flag
40 here and was pretty much sold on the GTI because it's more refined interior and more mature exterior. After test driving the GTI and Si in the same week I easily changed my mind to the Si due to it's better seats, seating position, handling, and price. I have two young kids and my 4 year old boy loves riding in it and helping me do car work. He actually wishes I bought the CTR instead because he loves the big spoiler and 3 exhaust tips. :D
Sponsored

rezlab

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Civic Si
Country flag
62 here. Feeling old. Third Civic Si. Also owned two lowered Datsun 510s, a lowered ā€˜72 Rabbit, and a Capri V6. My Dad bought a ā€˜57 T-Bird the year I was born. My Si aligns well with these cars.

dgordon7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic LX - 6MT
Country flag
The only thing that dude is driving is his sister at night.
This is classic. :) 58,but always preferred small cars. A few Mini's, Triumph's, Fiat Spiders, Corvair Monza. Love the Civic. Quality is ageless. And old guys are discriminating. :)

peterZ

First Name
peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Sport Hatch 6MT Lunar Silver Metallic
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
68 and my fourth Honda hatch; first one not an Si (86, 91, 03). I wanted a hatch more than an Si, but I couldnā€™t be happier

OP
OP
xcivicx

xcivicx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 SI coupe in black
Country flag
i loved my hatch, but it was time to consider its next step. which was a lot of labor on my part as well as about the cost of getting into the si. and well then i drove the si.

BriteBlue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic EX-L
Country flag
and i'm one of them as of yesterday, so far i've seen 3 old f's in new si's since i got mine. me retired now 67, and these other three looked older than me(imho), so i'm thinking sheet this is an old mans car. any other old geezers out there.
No such thing as an old mans car.

This thread reminds me of another discussing color & lot of people said they were too old or were told they were old for a bright blue or red car. I just donā€™t understand that.

Anyway, I was at Costco & they had a 2019 Civic Si coupe in Tonic Yellow on display. What a sharp looking car. Iā€™ve seen pictures of the Tonic Yellow but it looks a lot nicer in person. This old guy wants one.

civilcivicguy

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si, 1954 Corvette, 1959 Bugeye Sprite
Country flag
I'm 71 and just bought my Si mid-June. Previously I owned a '15 Corvette. I love my Si. It's a car one has to drive rather than sit in and go along for the ride. The clutch seems a little quirky, but that may be me needing to get used to shifting manually again. OGC? (old geezer car) Maybe so, but not a problem for me.

Don :)

and i'm one of them as of yesterday, so far i've seen 3 old f's in new si's since i got mine. me retired now 67, and these other three looked older than me(imho), so i'm thinking sheet this is an old mans car. any other old geezers out there.

Toddfreem

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si sedan
Country flag
79. Autocrosser. ā€˜17 Si sedan w/Magnaflow exhaust. My helmet needed the sedanā€™s extra inch head clearance. Sedan is only 17 lbs. heavier and also allows easier access/removal for hauling race tires on 17ā€ Enkei RFP1 wheels. Handles great. MUCH more stable than the Fiesta ST I traded.

Last edited:

Breezeknees

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2109 Honda Civic Si
Country flag
I'm 61 and an ex club racer. I used to race Datsun Z's, RX-7's and even an X1-9 for many years and I love my (wife's) Sonic Yellow Si coupe. Once I get the stage 1 tune in it will be perfect. I'm constantly impressed by this car's dynamics, especially the way the L/S diff pulls the car out of corners. The 17lb. Konig Ultraforms made a huge difference!
Honda Civic 10th gen SI an old Geeezer car 20190622_112942

OzCop

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si coupe, 2020 SLT GMC Terrain, F450 MH
Country flag
Interesting thread...one that I personally can identify with. I'm 76.5 years old and have owned mostly performance cars most of my adult life, from a 63 Plymouth Savoy SS Max Wedge making 425 hp to a new C 6 Corvette Z 51 pkg car, and many in between. I bought my 2019 Si coupe in late December, 2018. I'm on my 35th year of autocross competition, and have had several Si's, including 2 EF Civic Si's and an 88 CRX Si. My cars of choice over the years, and some frequenting this forum may have never heard of some of these, but my first dedicated autocross car was a new '86 GLH Turbo... (goes like hell, Omini). I kept it 7 years. Sold with 22 K miles. From there a built 84 VW GTi, then a new 95 ACR sedan, (American Club Racing, Neon). I purchased my first Civic Si to build for Street Touring autocrossing in 2001, then an 88 CRX Si, also for Street Touring autocrossing. A friend loved the CRX Si so much I ended up selling it to him, even though I really wanted to keep it. I then purchased another 91 Civic Si built for Street Touring class. By then, it is 2012, and being an old guy who had been knocked down the highway a couple hundred feet by an 18 wheeler while directing traffic on an interstate at a wreck scene (I was a cop for nearly 30 years), those old back injuries began rearing their ugly head, and getting in and out of a lowered, race seat equipped 91 Civic Si was taking it's toll. So, sold that gem of an autocrosser, and purchased a used JCW Mini Cooper for stock street class in SCCA autocrossing. Too much maintenance and breakage, and no room for old, arthritis hands to work, so sold that one a couple years later and bought a new 2017 Focus ST...Fun and fast, but lacked chassis stiffness in my opinion. I test drove a used 2018 Civic Si Coupe, and loved it. Problem is, they wanted as much for it as a new 2019. I promptly put the ST up for sale, sold it in a couple of weeks with 2 sets of wheels and tires, as well as the original wheels and tires, and all the allowed chassis and exhaust mods for G Street competition with only 11 K miles. I even delivered it to Houston from DFW for him. Two days later I drove out of the Honda dealership in Plano, TX with my new white pearl Civic Si Coupe. Love it. So far, a simple drop in K & N filter, muffler delete, Eibach 25 mm rear sway bar, and 17 x 8, 45 mm bs Koenig wheels with 255 40 17 Bridgestone RE 71R tires is all I have done...I may go for the resonator delete as well. I like the sound, but under WOT, there is little noise over stock, and being an old guy, I need to hear the rpm's clearly to judge shifting in competition.

I love the handling and stiffer chassis feel of this car over he ST Focus. The Focus is indeed faster, with nearly 50 hp over the Si. But I personally prefer the handling of the Si for what I do. Plus, it is a fun car, and with the Hypergram wheels, and Tire Rack windshield sticker we are required to run in National SCCA competition, and the burble coming from the exhaust, it draws some attention and I do think people are surprised to see a geezer type, 6' 1", mostly bald, white haired guy get out of the car. But it is fun to drive, gets over 30 mpg in local stop and go driving, and gets it done on an autocross course, even in the hands of a geezer...I may buy the next gen Si when I hit 80...

Last edited:

Neps18Si

First Name
P-Low
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si sedan (sold), 2019 Civic Sport Hatch CVT
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
41 years old here don't feel like an old fart yet, but good that the Si is attracting old gents. Means they will be taken care of better. Sorry younger guys some of you destroy cars.

NoWin

Slimer the Civic Si
First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic SI EGP Coupe, 2017 Honda Accord EX-L V6, 1998 Plymouth Neon ACR sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
63 here. The Si reminds me of the fun I had flogging my Neon ACR for 12 years or so on the Solo circuits (but more comfy for the wife, too). I was looking for a Focus ST over a year ago, but no dealer had any around, and when the odd one was on a lot, they were not interested in negotiating anything. Saw the Si and figured it was with a try....wife liked it too, so we bought it that night.

Working most weekends I donā€™t get the chance to head out to Devens for the NER SCCA events. That I miss.

OzCop

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si coupe, 2020 SLT GMC Terrain, F450 MH
Country flag
63 here. The Si reminds me of the fun I had flogging my Neon ACR for 12 years or so on the Solo circuits (but more comfy for the wife, too). I was looking for a Focus ST over a year ago, but no dealer had any around, and when the odd one was on a lot, they were not interested in negotiating anything. Saw the Si and figured it was with a try....wife liked it too, so we bought it that night.

Working most weekends I donā€™t get the chance to head out to Devens for the NER SCCA events. That I miss.
That sucks, but hopefully you are only a couple years from retiring and things can change. I too had an ACR, 3 of them in fact, and the first two new, one sedan single cam, zero option car, and one couple twin cam car that eve had air. I bought one used in 2007 and redone it, engine, trans, etc. Sold it to a good friend in Connecticut who also ran Neons for several years and won a couple of National Championships. Not sure if he still has it or not, but now campaigns a Mustang...

arpypat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
I'm 53 and I think I'm in pretty good shape. I drove my Si 3,000 miles across country and my back hardly suffered at all. On the other hand, just 3 years earlier I drove my 06 Scion xB 3,000 miles across country and my back killed me the whole, freaking way.
Just goes to show you the difference between a cheap sub compact with average seats to a very nice sporty compact with well designed/premium seats.
You're right - the seats are amazing in this car! I found out that my suspension felt weird because the idiots at the dealer overfilled 2 of my tires (~45psi) and 2 were normal (32-33psi). I ended up driving 500 miles from Dallas to KC over the weekend and it was a very comfortable drive.
Sponsored