Show me your aftermarket shift knob

mjh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Si 2020 Sedan; Previously VW Jetta SEL 2016 (auto); Civic EX Sedan 2009 (manual); Civic EX Coupe 2002 (manual)
Country flag
So after an exhaustive online search and calls to several vendors, I finally found the shift knob I wanted. It is a weighted NRG carbon fiber shift knob that is threaded for Honda. I didn't want to deal with a universal knob that would potentially get loose. This one screwed right on the factory shifter, and fits perfectly. It weights 1.1 lbs and feels almost twice the weight of the factory knob. It allows some great solid shifting. Installation took an whopping two minutes.

The only thing I would have preferred was a knob with no writing on it, just carbon fiber. But I could not find that in a weighted option that was threaded for Honda.

shift knob 1.jpg

shift knob 2.JPG
After a lot of back and forth, I decided to get the NRG shift knob pictured above, and I'm happy with it. It's a bit heavier than the OEM knob, but almost exactly the same size, and feels more temperature-neutral than OEM. I like the feel of it a lot. And as Jakabony mentioned above, it's absurdly easy to install. NRG doesn't seem to make it anymore, but if you Google the model number (SK-301BC-2-W), it's pretty easy to find inexpensively (I used ebay).
Sponsored

Last edited:

Upstop

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 Civic Si Coupe / 12 Altima Coupe / 02 CBR 954RR
Country flag
Where are some good places to buy custom "Si" shift knobs other than billetworkz?

Yonder

First Name
Miguel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Exclusively used weighted instead of light weight and I must say... I don't think I'll ever go back lol
J's Racing Shift Knob

Honda Civic 10th gen Show me your aftermarket shift knob J's Racing Shift Knob

Honda Civic 10th gen Show me your aftermarket shift knob J's Racing Shift Knob 2

AUGM1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SI
Country flag
Which knob is it that is like a shorter 27won?
Seen it here, but can’t remember where, or if there were many comments on it.

Maplestory

First Name
Kt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 civic si sedan crystal black pearl
The hybrid shift knob
Been treating me right so far

Honda Civic 10th gen Show me your aftermarket shift knob E9A0687D-8DF1-4B85-9F68-D7F95524DD0A

Memogiyi

First Name
Guillermo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si
Country flag
Exclusively used weighted instead of light weight and I must say... I don't think I'll ever go back lol
J's Racing Shift Knob

J's Racing Shift Knob.jpg

J's Racing Shift Knob 2.jpg
I like the way this looks!

What are the biggest benefits you feel about the light weighted vs weighted?

Last edited:

tinyman392

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Type R (RR)
Country flag
I like the way this looks!

What are the biggest benefits you feel about the light weighted vs weighted?
I'm using a Type R on the stock shifter, so YMMV. A lighter shift knob is going to actually be quicker to shift (easier to move a lighter weight than a heavier weight) and offer a more mechanical feel to the shift, but you may have more issues getting it into gear if you're transmission is a bit on the stiffer side. A heavier knob will reduce mechanical feel and technically take slightly longer to shift, but offer smoothness and will hold its momentum better (which stops that getting into gear trouble lighter knobs may have).

In reality the shift time isn't going to matter so much, so it becomes a question of how you want your shift to feel (and possibly if you have tranny issues like a 4th gear pop-out the CTRs are known for). In general, the stiffer and lower your knob is, the heavier you'll want to go. How heavy will depend on how much of a mechanical feel you want vs a smooth. A knob that sits higher can also add some smoothness as well. If you've gone with an aftermarket shifter (Acuity, Hybrid Racing, etc.), a heavier shift knob is something you'll want to consider.

Mestiso863

First Name
Ace
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Sport Sedan Rallye Red
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Honda Civic 10th gen Show me your aftermarket shift knob 20200119_055700
View attachment 194849
Awaiting shipment! Should be here Wed. Ordering AT/MT knob adapter from @xRiCeBoYx Thur. still trying to decide on shift boot. Will post pics when all set up
Sponsored

Attachments

• 0 bytes Views: 0
Last edited: