Should I upgrade from my FKX catless DP/FP?

fahmzhatch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Hatchback Sport Touring 6spd
Country flag
I’m currently FBO on my ‘19 ST hatchback 6spd. Eventually would like to get either the 27won W1/W2 turbo however I’m unsure if my 2.5 inch catless downpipe would be too restrictive. Should I upgrade to the PRL 3inch catless downpipe? I’m just not sure if it’s worth spending the extra money.

here is a pic of my FKX catless dp/fp combo:
Honda Civic 10th gen Should I upgrade from my FKX catless DP/FP? BEB1516F-2936-4853-9931-4D258E10A5DF
Sponsored

ebatr24

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Type R, 2018 Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
The turbo (including the w1) is so small, the gains would be minimal by upgrading to a larger downpipe. You may not get enough return on your expense, I'd say just go for the w1.

disgraced.fk8

IG: @break_ya_neck_fk7
First Name
Drew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Boost Blue Type R
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Seems like a rare case.
It's not... but if you want to continue to take chances, go ahead. And no unfortunately I do not have links or anything but I'd seen more than a few Megan and FXK downpipes blowing out prior to @suhhh having his experience. You need quality steel after the turbo as the hot side gets, well... hot.

We're just looking out for you lol.

zspeed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Sport Hatchback FK7
Country flag
It's not... but if you want to continue to take chances, go ahead. And no unfortunately I do not have links or anything but I'd seen more than a few Megan and FXK downpipes blowing out prior to @suhhh having his experience. You need quality steel after the turbo as the hot side gets, well... hot.

We're just looking out for you lol.
Don’t forget to add PLM as well. ?

suhhh

First Name
Kenny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Current: 2020 Civic Si Coupe Past: 2018 Civic Si Coupe, 2014 Prius, 2013 Civic LX 5spd
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Upgrade 100% fuck fkx, it's cheap ass china welds

There has been a few other cases of the welds coming off, you get what you pay for. Upgrade to PRL/RV6 100% and invest in a quality product.

Even though you may be able to run it for 100k with no problems there is definitely the risk of the downpipe weld falling or blowing a hole, don't get yourself stuck with a hole in your downpipe at a shitty time like me (during the week when I work) had to borrow 2 friends cars for 2 days lol

Mcclaughry95

500hp is the goal.
First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Civic Si
Country flag
Dang and I just got done installing fkx on my type R. But either way I have a welder in the garage.

disgraced.fk8

First Name
Drew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Boost Blue Type R
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Dang and I just got done installing fkx on my type R. But either way I have a welder in the garage.
Not too late! Now that you've done it, you should be able to pull and reinstall in like 2 hours man. I honestly thought it was going to take way longer but it took me 4 hours including 2 trips to the store and taking extreme care as I am not a mechanic so I check everything 3 times before taking a wrench to it.

Mcclaughry95

500hp is the goal.
First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Civic Si
Country flag
Not too late! Now that you've done it, you should be able to pull and reinstall in like 2 hours man. I honestly thought it was going to take way longer but it took me 4 hours including 2 trips to the store and taking extreme care as I am not a mechanic so I check everything 3 times before taking a wrench to it.
I'm a mechanic and still took about 4 hours. Tapping the threads on the turbo but no broken studs like everyone else. Regret not buying the titanium studs but I guess prl and titanium studs when they release their big turbo ill do the downpipe too

OP
OP
fahmzhatch

fahmzhatch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Hatchback Sport Touring 6spd
Country flag
Well shit lol. Now I’m afraid to push my car at all haha. I appreciate the insight @adc3132 & @suhhh (also sorry to hear about your situation).

Are these quality issues the reason why FKX don’t produce this DP/FP anymore?

Also, I can’t really afford to get a new DP & FP right now. Would heat wrapping the downpipe help as a preventative measure? At least for the time being.

suhhh

First Name
Kenny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Current: 2020 Civic Si Coupe Past: 2018 Civic Si Coupe, 2014 Prius, 2013 Civic LX 5spd
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Well shit lol. Now I’m afraid to push my car at all haha. I appreciate the insight @adc3132 & @suhhh (also sorry to hear about your situation).

Are these quality issues the reason why FKX don’t produce this DP/FP anymore?

Also, I can’t really afford to get a new DP & FP right now. Would heat wrapping the downpipe help as a preventative measure? At least for the time being.
You got it brodi

I talked with Andy over the phone and he said reason he doesn't produce it anymore because of California regulation issues but honestly I think it's bs, I think it's because he knew quality was shit and didn't want to be responsible for more downpipes breaking

Now when I say it's shit quality I don't mean it's god awful, but shit compared to PRL/RV6. I know phong ran FKX downpipe for a while pushing big power and was fine, I also think vader ran it for a bit but I could be wrong and he was also ok.

The downpipe I had was secondhand off my friend but it was ran for a total of 7-8k miles, both of us pushed it really really hard so I honestly think you'll be ok. While I was talking to Andy he was telling me "Yeah people will run downpipes for 60k miles and when it breaks they complain", didn't seem like he wanted to believe that I ran it for 10k< miles and it broke

Heat wrapping might be able to help I'm not sure though, I honestly think you'll be ok, no need to worry too much or overthink about it. I'd say definitely think about upgrading in the future for the peace of mind, I think I just got a bad batch of them

disgraced.fk8

First Name
Drew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Boost Blue Type R
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
You got it brodi

I talked with Andy over the phone and he said reason he doesn't produce it anymore because of California regulation issues but honestly I think it's bs, I think it's because he knew quality was shit and didn't want to be responsible for more downpipes breaking

Now when I say it's shit quality I don't mean it's god awful, but shit compared to PRL/RV6. I know phong ran FKX downpipe for a while pushing big power and was fine, I also think vader ran it for a bit but I could be wrong and he was also ok.

The downpipe I had was secondhand off my friend but it was ran for a total of 7-8k miles, both of us pushed it really really hard so I honestly think you'll be ok. While I was talking to Andy he was telling me "Yeah people will run downpipes for 60k miles and when it breaks they complain", didn't seem like he wanted to believe that I ran it for 10k< miles and it broke

Heat wrapping might be able to help I'm not sure though, I honestly think you'll be ok, no need to worry too much or overthink about it. I'd say definitely think about upgrading in the future for the peace of mind, I think I just got a bad batch of them
I read heat wrapping a shit DP is worse, it makes it get even hotter which is bad for the poor quality steel and welds.

disgraced.fk8

First Name
Drew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Boost Blue Type R
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I'm a mechanic and still took about 4 hours. Tapping the threads on the turbo but no broken studs like everyone else. Regret not buying the titanium studs but I guess prl and titanium studs when they release their big turbo ill do the downpipe too
My mechanic buddy got his done in 1.5 hours idk how tf he did that, but he is DAMN good. Also only 18k miles on the car so the studs weren't seized up or anything
Sponsored