Jawsfk7

First Name
Jordan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Honda Civic hatchback sport cvt
Country flag
I’ve read a lot of stuff about the cvt not being strong for tuning and possible bending rods it is my daily driver probably drive 500-1000 miles a week and wanting to get ktuner dual tune and run 21psi and stock with eco button probably be in stock eco tune for 75-80% of the time Spirited driving mostly on weekends and sometimes if I’m feeling some type of way on way home from work I’m just curious about reliability and long run because I’m trying to have the car for atleast 5-10 years Boltons planned are prl intercooler upgrade prl cobra cai and borla s type exhaust
Sponsored

Robot3RK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport CVT
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
Yes, but you may void your warranty. I have a 2019 10th Gen Honda Civic Sport CVT (regular not touring) and it is my daily driver. I am running a Phearable tune and I have partial bolt ons. I drive normal and sometimes pretty hard. I noticed after modding my foot likes to get more heavier (foot wanted to press down on the gas pedal more) than before when I was stock. Been driving for a while now and have no issues. As long as you are doing proper maintenance like Engine Oil Change and CVT Transmission Oil Change and the tune you are running is on the conservative side, it should last you for a long time. I believe @gtman has a reliability thread for tuned civics like your approach.

86salmon

It's Hedley, Hedley Lamarr!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic si sedan, 2001 Nissan Frontier
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
The bigger issues seem to come about when folks go for the next step in big power adders, like flex fuel kits or turbo swaps. A tuner with a stock motor or just an intake and fmic isn't as risky. Your right foot is probably the biggest factor

rwk226

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 BMW 535xi N55
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
1,000% worth tuning, the experience even the base maps provide over stock is night and day, such an improvement. Now, if you buy your Ktuner from Phearable you'll get their free Phearable 1.5 tune that is incredible, it is as refined as stock (Ktuner maps are more raw feeling, Phearable feels stock down low) but the power up top is unbelievable. OTS / simply tuning is known to be very safe per gtman's Reliability thread. May technically void warranty, but as long as you keep up regular maintenance and don't do burnouts, excessive launches, etc. you should be totally fine. I'm around the 5,000 mile mark being tuned, close to half of which is making 230whp and 280wtq from Phearable 1.5R and I've yet to have any issues

OP
OP

Jawsfk7

First Name
Jordan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Yes, but you may void your warranty. I have a 2019 10th Gen Honda Civic Sport CVT (regular not touring) and it is my daily driver. I am running a Phearable tune and I have partial bolt ons. I drive normal and sometimes pretty hard. I noticed after modding my foot likes to get more heavier (foot wanted to press down on the gas pedal more) than before when I was stock. Been driving for a while now and have no issues. As long as you are doing proper maintenance like Engine Oil Change and CVT Transmission Oil Change and the tune you are running is on the conservative side, it should last you for a long time. I believe @gtman has a reliability thread for tuned civics like your approach.
Yeah I actually got the 100k mile warranty for super cheap so I just got it I’ve been thinking about that too I’ve seem some people get away with flashing back to stock and dealer fixing trans or something else under warranty

OP
OP

Jawsfk7

First Name
Jordan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
1,000% worth tuning, the experience even the base maps provide over stock is night and day, such an improvement. Now, if you buy your Ktuner from Phearable you'll get their free Phearable 1.5 tune that is incredible, it is as refined as stock (Ktuner maps are more raw feeling, Phearable feels stock down low) but the power up top is unbelievable. OTS / simply tuning is known to be very safe per gtman's Reliability thread. May technically void warranty, but as long as you keep up regular maintenance and don't do burnouts, excessive launches, etc. you should be totally fine. I'm around the 5,000 mile mark being tuned, close to half of which is making 230whp and 280wtq from Phearable 1.5R and I've yet to have any issues
What would the most reliable and safe tune be phearable or ktuner v2 and what is the difference if you know

rwk226

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 BMW 535xi N55
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
What would the most reliable and safe tune be phearable or ktuner v2 and what is the difference if you know
I think both are technically safe, but Phearable you'll enjoy more. Ktuner has more low end grunt, which could be considered dangerous for the CVT, while Phearable is total opposite.

OP
OP

Jawsfk7

First Name
Jordan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I think both are technically safe, but Phearable you'll enjoy more. Ktuner has more low end grunt, which could be considered dangerous for the CVT, while Phearable is total opposite.
Probably gonna end up buying through phearable and testing out both thanks

OP
OP

Jawsfk7

First Name
Jordan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Can phearable be setup to a dual tune so I can use eco button to go to stock tune

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Can phearable be setup to a dual tune so I can use eco button to go to stock tune
The Phearable 1.5 has 3 different maps (15-20-24 psi) that you can choose via the cc buttons. In addition, you can press the Econ button to apply the eco "features" like sluggish throttle response and reduced a/c output to the maps.

Last edited:

David228cx

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Red Honda Civic Sport (EU)
Country flag
IF you stick to OTS Phereable or TSP you should be fine and enjoy the car a lot more

OP
OP

Jawsfk7

First Name
Jordan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
The Phearable 1.5 has 3 different maps (15-20-24 psi) that you can choose via the cc buttons. In addition, you can press the Econ button to apply the eco "features" like sluggish throttle response and reduced a/c output to the maps.
I’ve been bitching out and have been going back and forth with the tune I want to get it and get phearable and run a safe tune I’m just so scared of ruining the transmission which I don’t have the money to replace and it will be a daily I drive minimum hour 30 minutes a day

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
So yeah, uh, dude I don't know much about tuning or CVT's or tuned 10th gens or anything like that but I've heard there's a guy here that does.

He has this cool tuning thread with hundreds of pages of tuned cars and they talk about reliability. Heard he also has a bunch of threads about tuning and CVTs.

Heard him say that the CVT in these Civics handle tuning well... up to a point. I mean he says you can't abuse them by brake launching and you can't have huge torque down low but base and OTS tunes are pretty safe, he says.

Maybe you should research?

Last edited:

MadManx1

Project X1
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Sport Cvt
Country flag
I’ve been bitching out and have been going back and forth with the tune I want to get it and get phearable and run a safe tune I’m just so scared of ruining the transmission which I don’t have the money to replace and it will be a daily I drive minimum hour 30 minutes a day
The cvt can handle tunes as long as maintenance is done so you going to jump in the pool or what the water fine (Fbo cvt here) 4 years tuned ?

OP
OP

Jawsfk7

First Name
Jordan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
The cvt can handle tunes as long as maintenance is done so you going to jump in the pool or what the water fine (Fbo cvt here) 4 years tuned ?
Gonna get tuned want to get cobra intake and new mesh grille and then probably tune it need to break it in first
Sponsored