Should I trade my black 2019 type r for a 2021 boost blue

jay_fk8

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fk8
Country flag
I’m going to go against the grain here and say yes if you have the means to do it. A wrap will never look as good as a paint job. Also the changes aren’t just cosmetics on the 21. The suspension bushings are stiffer, front brakes are lighter, shifter feels better, yes those last two are easily retrofittable but as a package all this makes the car feel just a bit better than the 19. Also don’t forget Honda sense, really nice for long highway drives. It’s your money, do what makes you happy.
Sponsored

1lastnerve

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 CTR - Black
Country flag
If you have means to do it... then do what floats your boat. But from a financial standpoint it doesn't make sense. And I get it, the black is a PITA to keep clean, but it's worth it!
To me, Boost Blue is a color that strikes you at first... but over time you are going to regret it. I know I'm setting myself up for flames but I think the BB is overplayed. There seems to be a LOT of them.
Clean Black = Classy.... Clean Boost Blue = Clown Car :stirthepot:

Hold on to what you have, wait for the next gen. Mark my words, there will be hysteria when the new model comes out. Everybody will be up in arms that they ruined the Type R, its watered down, Honda lost their way... fill in the blank. You 'll be glad you still have it or you'll get even more for it if you do want to change.

Byron Sexton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Mazdaspeed6, 2020 Civic Type R SGP #36784
Country flag
I’m going to go against the grain here and say yes if you have the means to do it. A wrap will never look as good as a paint job. Also the changes aren’t just cosmetics on the 21. The suspension bushings are stiffer, front brakes are lighter, shifter feels better, yes those last two are easily retrofittable but as a package all this makes the car feel just a bit better than the 19. Also don’t forget Honda sense, really nice for long highway drives. It’s your money, do what makes you happy.
You wont feel or care about the difference in suspension also it was tested the 17-19 produce better track times that the 2020 Type R.

You disputed your own point you can retro fit and come out cheaper than trading.

I Don't use Honda sense when I drive, and actually I think its a hinderance telling me I'm switching lanes.....It is nice but its a hassle when you want to customize your vents, and changing your windshield.

To the OP Don't be stupid we live in an economy where you cannot afford to be Stupid. Get your affairs in order first...keep your money don't lose your money.

Arch

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 FK8
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
My FK2 was black, and, even after a good clean, I always thought it needed cleaning, so i know where you're coming from there.

I personally think you'd be pissing $ in the wind to change, but also think a colour wrap would be naff and a waste of $ too. :confused:

At the end of the day, do what makes you happy. if the $ doesnt bother you and wont haunt you down the line, you want the revised model and you really want blue, pull that trigger. :thumbsup:

jay_fk8

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fk8
Country flag
You wont feel or care about the difference in suspension also it was tested the 17-19 produce better track times that the 2020 Type R.

You disputed your own point you can retro fit and come out cheaper than trading.

I Don't use Honda sense when I drive, and actually I think its a hinderance telling me I'm switching lanes.....It is nice but its a hassle when you want to customize your vents, and changing your windshield.

To the OP Don't be stupid we live in an economy where you cannot afford to be Stupid. Get your affairs in order first...keep your money don't lose your money.
We’ll have to agree to disagree. Like I said it’s his money and he can do what he pleases. in reference to Honda sense, I’m talking about the lane keep assist and radar cruise control, not the lane departure warning, that one is annoying. Also, I never said it was cheaper than trading. I went from a 19 to an LE and I like it much better than the 19.

StanMan

First Name
Stan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R
Country flag
We’ll have to agree to disagree. Like I said it’s his money and he can do what he pleases. in reference to Honda sense, I’m talking about the lane keep assist and radar cruise control, not the lane departure warning, that one is annoying. Also, I never said it was cheaper than trading. I went from a 19 to an LE and I like it much better than the 19.
LE's suspension is different from a normal 2021 you know. Alcantara steering wheel and piped in fake engine noise is a downgrade.

Jwolf

I Think I'm Fast
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota 86, '19 CTR, Some other stuff
Country flag
LE's suspension is different from a normal 2021 you know. Alcantara steering wheel and piped in fake engine noise is a downgrade.
I'd trade for an Alcantara wheel tbh.

Edit: I should clarify, trade my leather wheel for Alcantara wheel.

civicsi1211

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 civic type R
Country flag
Just take it to a good vinyl wrap installer tbh.
I have a 2019 Aegean blue metallic... next year Boost Blue !!
I am in the exact boat where I love that color. Overall I decided, if I really want that color, just wrap my car.
It makes yours unique. It protects the paint & it would take way less time, money, effort, & you get to keep your shirt.

cons- taking off a wrap in the future could be PITA.

end of the day you do what you want.
It’s your car.

Byron Sexton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Mazdaspeed6, 2020 Civic Type R SGP #36784
Country flag
That's fine enjoy your LE!!

HustedDrums

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Honda Civic Type-R
Country flag
Little babies wrap their cars. We're grown men. We like nice, perfected, dialed in paint around here. It's your money chief! There's definitely pros and cons to both options. I don't love black by any means, but there definitely is something special about my car when I give it a nice wash. No classier color than black when it's clean.

Boost Blue is my favorite color on the line as well. Every dealer that I don't work for wants to charge 2k over MSRP. Won't happen. The dealer I work with will sell me @ MSRP but they cannot request colors at this point. They get what they get. We got a CW coming in next. I think I'd settle for the white.

The 21 does come with some better stuff like the steering wheel and better shift knob/feel in the gearbox IMO. I won't tell you how to spend your money but we're car guys. This is what makes us happy so at the end of the day. If it's disposable income, sure. But I wouldn't over-stretch myself just for a different color.

NapalmEnema

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 M2, 2022 Audi RS3, ex2019, now 2021Type R!
Country flag
So I have a 2019 black type r with just under 7k on it.My payment is 534 per month and I got it for msrp with 6k down.I love the boost blue but I probably would lose my shirt now that I don't want to put money down but can get it for msrp.Should I do it?
Hell no

type_ramen

First Name
Keiothic
Threads
Reaction score
Website
linktr.ee
Vehicle(s)
Civic
Country flag
If you're patient enough and willing enough, just like any color, you can find Boost Blue at MSRP in the 48-states. If that's really the critical bullet item to justify trading your 2019, along with the hard desire that it's ultimately the color you want, then why not? Accept the financial loss from you could have saved from not trading, and live with some happiness that you got the color (and other things) that you ultimately wanted.

OP
OP

Bobbyt

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 type r
Country flag
So honda will sell me the boost blue for msrp and give me 33k for my 19 black.payments will stay the same but obviously starting over decision decision...

Jwolf

I Think I'm Fast
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota 86, '19 CTR, Some other stuff
Country flag
So honda will sell me the boost blue for msrp and give me 33k for my 19 black.payments will stay the same but obviously starting over decision decision...
If it makes you feel better just do it. You'll never be satisfied. It's a dumb decision, but not everything needs to be smart.
Sponsored