Brand_SI

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic si 2020
Country flag
I was wonder if it would be a good idea trade my civic si for a 2019 or even older type r or the best idea should be just try to get a new one or just wait for the 2022 version what y’all thinks ?
Sponsored

jdm_mike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 FK8 CTR & More
Country flag
A lot of people traded in their Si for a Preown or new FK8 after converting to stock -- choice is up to you. It's your car, not like we own what your drive LOL.

arpypat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
99% of the time, it makes no financial sense to make this move, but plenty others have made it.

Depending on how much you have vested, you're going to be taking a hit when you trade in AND be upcharged on a used CTR. Not to mention also losing most of what you put into mods, if your car is not stock.

The only saving is potentially in sales tax, depending on what state you live in.

Jwolf

I Think I'm Fast
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota 86, '19 CTR, Some other stuff
Country flag
Financially it's a bad idea, emotionally it may be a good idea.

You'll need to figure that out yourself though.

luigi2120

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic SI Sedan
Country flag
I was actually in the same boat as you about a month ago. I almost pulled the trigger on a Type R but in the end decided to keep my Si. I really didn't want to take the 3K hit plus having to start a new loan all over again. As well I am planning on buying a house in a year, so I need to focus on paying some debt off.

It is your decision in the end though

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
OP, I hate to state the obvious but do what YOU want to do. None of us are shelling out the $$$. :cool:

Learn2turn

First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'79 Toyota Longbed PU, '95 (Drift Toy) Miata, '05 Tuned Gran Prix White S2000, '19 Championship White C-Type R
Country flag
With the next gen so close I would personally wait to see how those look
And when they are unpopular you can expect the current version to be even MORE expensive.

*** IF they actually do show up ***

perkidddoh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19' Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
Try to make some effort into selling it privately first. Try Carvana or Carmax as well. Those usually are better than trade-in values.

I'm in the same cycle every damn couple of months. I just got new tires and lowered my car but my outdoor lifestyle is not matching up with the car. The car is fun as heck to drive and so is the mpg and I just want a hatchback. Unlike you though, I won't be considering the Type R. I have a budget and would rather use that 15-20k towards a down payment for a house.

VarmintCong

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Focus ST Line X (sold 2020 Si sedan)
Country flag
2020 Si's are very hard to find, I think a dealer could sell your car for the price of a new one, so trade in might be really good. See if you can find a dealer with a Type R and say you want MSRP on the Type R and you want $23k for your Si. Take it or leave it. If your state rolls over the tax deduction it'll be a decent deal for you.

No point buying a used Type R, it'll probably be the same as a new one, and you gotta wonder why someone sold it. I see plenty of new Type Rs around me, and no new 2020 Si's.

Quip

First Name
Paper
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rallye Red
Country flag
Not a good financial decision IMO.

Even if you get a Type R at MSRP after tax/title/reg/doc fees you’re almost paying what the Si may be worth.

perkidddoh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19' Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
Going back to this though, OP, I think you already know the answer to your question, unless you have money to use like toilet paper and/or getting the Type R is an actual need for you then it isn't wise. Heck it isn't even wise to buy a new car if your current one was getting you from point A to point B. I constantly talk myself out of getting into another car, but my next car won't be new, that's for sure.
Sponsored