Should I trade in CVT Civic EX 2016 2.0L for Acura RSX Type-S 2006?

GJR

First Name
Gabriel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX 2.0L CVT
Country flag
Honda has about 46,000 mi
Acura has 66,000 mi

Thinking about if I should trade a new slow car for an old faster one.
This Acura is priced at 16,300 at a dealer... seems like a lot for a 10 year old car but it has low miles and it's a rare find. Looks pretty clean on the pics. Love the look of the 10th gen but that's about it. I just want something more fun. Idk just an idea I had. It seems kinda crazy to trade something so new for something so old but I mean.. I feel like in the long run the Type-S will hold it's value better. Especially since my car will most likely depreciate in value way more. It's just a nothing special regular civic. Acura already has the K20 engine in it so im sure if I wanted to I could do some real mods with it...It's a bit outdated but seems like a great platform to start. idk how much should one pay for this Acura?

I mean it's got 201 hp. Pretty close to the hp of todays si.

I dont see any good ones on craigslist.. It's either not a type-s or its got high miles or theres something wrong or seller did way too many things with it it just looks sketchy.
Age may be a big difference between the two but the miles are not too far off from each other. Really just leaning toward the fact that the Acura is just more expensive than it should be idk. Maybe I'll just be a responsible little boy and just save up like 6-8k and be patient and wait to find a good low mile, stock, clean one.

idk man. Thoughts?

Honda Civic 10th gen Should I trade in CVT Civic EX 2016 2.0L for Acura RSX Type-S 2006? 1200x-
Sponsored

Drake

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic Si
Country flag
Very nice car, but that's a lot of money for a 14-year old RSX. I bet you could get a 2017 Si for around $17k if you tried hard enough

Reactions: GJR

julianzh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-t, 2019 GTI Autobahn DSG
Country flag
Here is my unpopular opinion: why people buy old car? Where do they get those money to fix it down the road? Beside, the tech and the look seems so outdated.

Ok, i will take it if it under $3500 with warranty.

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
OP. No way. Sure the car is clean and has low mileage but it's basically 15 years old. And honestly, that car was driven less than 5,000 miles a year which may or may not be a good thing.

If your big issue with your car is lack of power, have you tried a tune? KTuner has a tune for your car that will help a bit.

What about trading your EX for a used Si instead?

OP
OP

GJR

First Name
Gabriel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Very nice car, but that's a lot of money for a 14-year old RSX. I bet you could get a 2017 Si for around $17k if you tried hard enough
yeah i may do this instead if i can find one. I love the rsx but its just too old yo justify this price tag

OP
OP

GJR

First Name
Gabriel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
OP. No way. Sure the car is clean and has low mileage but it's basically 15 years old. And honestly, that car was driven less than 5,000 miles a year which may or may not be a good thing.

If your big issue with your car is lack of power, have you tried a tune? KTuner has a tune for your car that will help a bit.

What about trading your EX for a used Si instead?
yeah seems way too overpriced for what it is. Posted this cause honestly wasnt sure what made it so high. I get its a type s but cmon. 8k for this maybe.. idk

i have ktuner and rv6 catted downpipe. It helps quite a bit. I like em alot and its super worth it dont think id like it as much without it.

Yeah i may just trade it in. Or maybe start a project build.

yansag1982

First Name
Yanick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Coupe Sport 6MT
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
This Acura is a 7500$ car...older Japs are all the rage right now that's why it's priced this high but trust me it ain't worth anywhere that as a car for what it is...and even so it's still just a usdm Acura nothing special.

OP
OP

GJR

First Name
Gabriel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
This Acura is a 7500$ car...older Japs are all the rage right now that's why it's priced this high but trust me it ain't worth anywhere that as a car for what it is...and even so it's still just a usdm Acura nothing special.
Thats what I was thinking.. Thats why I posted here so people can tell me that cause I was like.. thats not normal is it? 16k for this car? lol Thanks for the help. I wasnt ACTUALLY gonna do it just needed other reactions from this lol So youd say a car like this should be around 7.5k? That sounds pretty reasonable I'll probably start looking on craigslist for something like that. What Im really looking for a fun car on the side honestly.

Feddy_Ace

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Hatchback Sport CVT
Country flag
I’m gonna go against the grain here and say, yes, but with some caveats. Naturally, work to get the price down with the dealership as much as you can. What others here fail to consider is the RSX Type S is now a collectors car to many. They’ve been averaging about $16k in good shape on BAT, which is why the dealership has it priced exactly at this number. I know that’s not the perfect metric of value, but it shows that people who love the brand/car will pay big for them. It’s currently appreciating in value and your 2.0 NA Civic absolutely will not, but Civics are holding their value pretty same well. Sadly, Civic SIs are going up/holding price too. There are no good condition 10th gen SIs around me for $17k. You can barely find a hatchback for $17k!

I would make this purchase only if you’re really in love with the car. It’s at a rare intersection where the Civic is at peak value and the RSX is about to get insanely priced. Everyone who passed on a cheap E30 or 944 back in the day are kicking themselves now. If you love the car and it works for you and it’s within your financial ability, then do it. You got one life. It’s just a car. Drive what you want.

racerguy180

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1995 Acura Integra GS-R 2001 Acura Integra GS 2014 Acura MDX Advance
Country flag
The RSX is definitely the better car, but not for what they're charging. cut the $ in half and we are talking.

like others said, buy a used 10th SI for the same $.

OP
OP

GJR

First Name
Gabriel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I’m gonna go against the grain here and say, yes, but with some caveats. Naturally, work to get the price down with the dealership as much as you can. What others here fail to consider is the RSX Type S is now a collectors car to many. They’ve been averaging about $16k in good shape on BAT, which is why the dealership has it priced exactly at this number. I know that’s not the perfect metric of value, but it shows that people who love the brand/car will pay big for them. It’s currently appreciating in value and your 2.0 NA Civic absolutely will not, but Civics are holding their value pretty same well. Sadly, Civic SIs are going up/holding price too. There are no good condition 10th gen SIs around me for $17k. You can barely find a hatchback for $17k!

I would make this purchase only if you’re really in love with the car. It’s at a rare intersection where the Civic is at peak value and the RSX is about to get insanely priced. Everyone who passed on a cheap E30 or 944 back in the day are kicking themselves now. If you love the car and it works for you and it’s within your financial ability, then do it. You got one life. It’s just a car. Drive what you want.
Yeah this was the basic idea i had at first.. seriously its pretty hard to find one this clean with miles this low now that I'm looking. Not even in California in all of USA and it looks like anything under 100k miles is usually priced somewhere above 15,000. If I could get this car for 10k I would but I doubt the dealership would be able to swing that for me lol I do want this car I think in the long term I'll enjoy it way more than this one. It has huge potential compared to my current one. It's just that huge price tag. I could wait and find a better deal though Im sure theres a less than 100k miles type-s that looks this clean and unmolested that cost somewhere below 10k. Just gotta find it and be patient I guess. It's not really a need anyway its a want. Its a big want though lol

OP
OP

GJR

First Name
Gabriel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
The RSX is definitely the better car, but not for what they're charging. cut the $ in half and we are talking.

like others said, buy a used 10th SI for the same $.

Yeah its the 2006 one too so it's got the K20Z1 engine which is actually 210 hp and is capable of 300+ even. This is mainly why I've been looking at this one its a great platform but yeah with this price tag it's just kind of ridiculous.

You think the dealership would consider 10k? lol Still high price for what it is but it seems more reasonable. Honestly it's pretty hard to find the rsx with this engine and have it be pretty much stock and untouched with such low miles. But I also understand what everyone is saying. 16k for this is just overpriced... maybe 11? not 16 for sure...

but yeah the 10th gen si makes the most sense for the same money
(although its hard to find one priced that low that isn't salvaged or high miles or messed up or anything)
For a decant one it'll probably be more like 19k right now..

OP
OP

GJR

First Name
Gabriel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Last edited:

REBELXSi