Should I run a BOV or no?

Khar2

First Name
Konnor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si Coupe
I love the sounds you get from a BOV, but I'm new to modding cars, and want to make sure the BOV won't hurt my engine. Just want to hear the pros and cons. I have a 10th gen Si coupe. I am not seriously racing the car, just driving around town and the highway.
Sponsored

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
It's a HARD NO on a vent to atmosphere BOV. You and your car will thank me.

You want safe sounds? Get a quality intake (not named Injen lol).

JDM importz

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Si coupe
Country flag
I love the sounds you get from a BOV, but I'm new to modding cars, and want to make sure the BOV won't hurt my engine. Just want to hear the pros and cons. I have a 10th gen Si coupe. I am not seriously racing the car, just driving around town and the highway.
Debunked…
check the video and make up your own mind. Keep in mind the moment you use a ktuner or hondata on our cars the warranty is done. Drive the car how it’s meant to be driven and enjoy it. Don’t hinder your build out of fear of voiding your warranty. It’s a Honda man they’re damn near bullet proof and the parts are cheap anyway. I run my car hard everyday and love it!

86salmon

It's Hedley, Hedley Lamarr!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic si sedan, 2001 Nissan Frontier
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
There are threads concerning atmospheric BOV on this site with contributions from a couple of this gens best tuners as well as from Hondata.

A BOV is probably going to cause issues over time

Aside from that video (where he is ONLY recommending a Turbosmart BOV :hmm: ) Bisi has had no presence in the tenth gen community. He's busy fiddling with hybrids and Porsches

Jeffers

First Name
Jeffers
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Si Coupe purchased on 11-24-19
Country flag
Thanks for posting that video. Interesting BOV information.

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Here we go again. :banghead: That vid was debunked in 2020 as Bisi shilling for TurboSmart.

Guys like Derek Robinson and before him VitViper will rightly so tell you ii just isn't worth the risk for some sound.

Vit wrote this back in 2017...

"Sadly this has to be said -- as I've already been contacted several times via email.

Do not install VTA ("vent to atmosphere") blow offs on this car. A "tune" cannot and WILL not fix any "too rich" codes or issues when you run this type of blow off.

Why?

Your mass air flow meter is located in the intake before the turbo, before the intercooler, before the blow off. Your engine computer ("ECU") is using this meter to calculate engine fuel requirements -- any air lost (boost leaks, blow off vent) after the meter has "seen" it cannot be compensated for -- the ECU is expecting the motor to see this airflow.

This is why the factory blow off RECIRCULATES the airflow back into the intake tract (but post AFM so it doesn't see it again) and the motor receives the airflow the ECU is expecting and calculating injector flow for.

While the car may not "stall" when you vent the ALREADY METERED aircharge, it is causing a rich condition. YMMV on if/when/how many codes your ECU throws.

The VTA style blow off is a 100% ricer modification and makes delivers you with NO improvements and has serious negative consequences. Yes cool blow off noises are fun -- I don't disagree
."

Last edited:

charleswrivers

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 Odyssey, '94 300zx, 2001 F-150
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I personally love the idea of having an engine work to build boost then just venting all that work to atmosphere vice recircing it to maintain a good spool. Makes sense to me. 🤔

Maybe newer cars don’t run pig rich when you lift with something more than MAF… or not as bad. My 300zx definitely did when I got it with those stupid things already installed. It’d hesitate like mad when you’d do an on-off-on for the throttle. That’s why I paid good money to convert them back to be able to recirc. But then again… I’m more of a “You damn kids, get off my lawn” kinda modder these days. I don’t miss the “look at me!” noise… even when I was 10 years younger. I don’t believe the 5whp claim for the BOV the video claims based on “better sealing” or whatever they called it.

OP, if you won’t be happy with your car without a BOV… then just do it anyways. To hell what me or anyone else says, even if they’re right if that’s what stands between you and your automotive happiness. If you’re looking for an actual improvement, I’d personally skip it… but, well, I’m old and lame and have been down this road before.

So… in summation… IMO…
Pros: Noise if you like it. Improved love of car… self-esteem of having the car you want… lighter wallet to improve power-to-weight ratio.
Cons: Anything/Everything else. Maybe little to nothing… in reality… or a small loss of performance you won’t care about because the Pssssssst! is so cool it’s making you feel faster.

kshawn

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic SI
Country flag
See all above. Don't do it

madchiller

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Debunked…
check the video and make up your own mind. Keep in mind the moment you use a ktuner or hondata on our cars the warranty is done. Drive the car how it’s meant to be driven and enjoy it. Don’t hinder your build out of fear of voiding your warranty. It’s a Honda man they’re damn near bullet proof and the parts are cheap anyway. I run my car hard everyday and love it!

dont believe everything you watch on youtube. dude was paid to make that video 100%.

i do have for sale a turbosmart bpv that came with my prl turbo kit for $100 shipped tho.

Tomodoki

First Name
Elijah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Hatch Sport MT
Country flag
Why not an intake, it sounds really nice especially tuned. I heard BOV ruins the engine over time as others mentioned.

My friend has a turboed mazda, he also tried running a BOV, ran too rich and took it off.

VTecYoSelfB4UWreckYoSelf

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si Sedan Aegean Blue
Country flag
I have the PRL short ram intake and it makes all the cool noises a blow off valve will make and it doesn't cause any issues and there is no debate over it.
Sponsored