Should I pull the trigger on the Touring?

LiMpyBiaNDuS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None yet
I've been considering buying a Civic Touring, but I'm seeing a surprising number of issues being reported on this forum. I know that every car probably comes with a few complaints, but these seem to be more than average. I'm new to car-buying though (first car) so maybe I could be wrong. What is the general consensus on this forum regarding the quality issues with the Civic?*

* Infotainment issues, turbo surging, speaker rattle, etc.
Sponsored

deputy1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring Sedan
I've been considering buying a Civic Touring, but I'm seeing a surprising number of issues being reported on this forum. I know that every car probably comes with a few complaints, but these seem to be more than average. I'm new to car-buying though (first car) so maybe I could be wrong. What is the general consensus on this forum regarding the quality issues with the Civic?*

Go for it. I picked one up in January, and other than having to have my screen replaced after some flickering issues, Ive had zero issues. The history of the Civic model speaks for itself. There's a better than average chance that you'll have years of worry free driving. North American Car of the Year, and numerous other accolades from various automotive sources should give you an idea of what the public thinks. Is it perfect? Nope. Test drive one. Read reviews and decide for yourself. A Civic wasn't even on my radar until I started doing some research. Glad I pulled the trigger. Best of luck to you.

Zange

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 WoP Civic Touring
Country flag

I've had mine a few weeks now and I have yet to incounter any issue gladly. I say go for it you wont regret it.

hondo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Civic Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag

Yes, get it. The latest updates seem to have fixed the turbo surging and most of the infotainment issues. If you have subwoofer rattle the dealer should be able to fix it. Even if they don't there are many easy DIY fixes here.

domm92

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 civic touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I would wait a while if this is the car you want. My civic touring has many problems.
Subwoofer rattle
Popping noise under front end
Several rattles in the cabin
Grinding sound when starting the car
And my worse complaint is the jerky cvt

For the subwoofer I've had it there 3 times and they keep stuffing foam in it and it works only for a couple days. I called corporate and they are no help either. I spent enough on this car I shouldn't have to spend money on insulation or on any other fix when it should be on Honda to fix.

Overal not very happy with my decision on this purchase.

Troy Jollimore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring, 2018 VW Golf
Country flag
Buyer's remorse is a bi**h, eh? ;) Same here, but no real regrets. The Civic is a great all-around car for the price. Wait for the 2017/deals on the 2016 if you can. No worries if you can't.

djasonw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring, 2017 Toyota iM
Country flag
I've had my car since January and I have no regrets at all. I had the software update on the infotainment and the surging issue. The car is flawless now with zero issues. If I had to do it all over again, I'd do it in a heartbeat. There are plenty of great cars out there, but in my opinion the Civic Touring is the best bang for the buck in the mid 20's price range. Even though the Civic is considered an economy car, the feeling of this car is that of an entry level luxury sedan. I once had a C class Mercedes and this car blows it away.

timothyjay

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Had mine since February and no real issue with mine. Yes, there was a rattle with the Touring because of the sub, but an easy fix it stuffing foam in the third brake light which fixed it for me (a less than $5 DIY fix).

No infotainment or surging for me. I would highly recommend the Touring for sure :)

MaximusBKK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Touring Sedan + a few non-Hondas
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag

I was either the first or second person to buy the Touring here in the states (first one on the west coast), and I've had a few issues.

The first was the subwoofer rattle. I compromised for a while by lowering the bass, which didn't make me happy because I love my bass. After I finally set aside 10 minutes to actually try to fix it, it only took 3 of those blue paper towels from Autozone strategically placed to silence any rattles. I cranked my bass back up and have been super happy since. The sound system is excellent.

The second was the silent speaker issue. This was fixed with a quick trip to the dealer.

The third was the surging turbo. This was fixed with the newest upgrade to the CVT. About an hour at the dealer.

I'm a... spirited...? driver, and those are the only issues I've had. They were pretty painless (and free) trade-off for a car so feature-rich (and sexy!) at this price point. I'm not among the regretful. I say go for it.

BoringOhio

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black 2016 Civic Touring
Country flag
You have to remember that nobody seeks out a 10th gen Civic forum to post about how happy they are with their car that has had no issues. When reading these types of forums you'll see lots of issues reported because when someone has a problem they look for somewhere to talk/ask about it and try to determine if others are seeing the same thing with their cars. Also, Honda has updates released to address the issues with the CVT and most of the infotainment ones, and if your dealer isn't crap (sorry domm92, have you tried another dealership? :( ) they can fix the subwoofer rattle too.

There's a reason this car got such great reviews and is selling so well. The Civic is an awesome value and it's hard to find a comparable car at this price level. I'd say go for it.

newf4350

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wop touring(civic)

The only thing I had to do was reboot my satillte radio one time , and I had the car since February...plus lots of compliments...my wife just think it's crazy how everyone reacts to our car and how excited I get...lol LOVE our wop

Billy4202

Banned
Banned
First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 BNP Touring, '07 Mercury Milan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Go for it. The sub woofer rattle is minor enough that I don't care. I had two TSB software updates applied. I still get low 40s-low 50s on my commute, and I don't baby it. The tech is amazing for this price point. Interior quality is quite good, too. Turbo blows everything else in the class away.

Get the Touring. You won't regret it now or 5 years down the road...

sravanz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Civic
Sub woofer rattle is there.. I went to dealer today and 2 out of 3 tourings have rattling issues.. But the one that doesnt have issue is not the color i want.. oh boy

brienp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic Coupe Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
DON'T BUY A CIVIC, actually don't buy Honda for that matter.

No really. Not to be a smartass but, the turbo that is in the touring isn't some special turbo concocted by Honda to specifically break just for the Tourings and then developed a different more robust and reliable turbo for the other trims. Which means if the turbo issue is deal breaker for you then ALL civics that have the turbo are taken off the consider list because its the same turbo. Also applies to any Honda product utilizing the turbo in the Civic because in order to cut costs and increase profits they will reuse that turbo as much as possible across as many platforms as they can.

Same for the infotainment. They didn't create a special touring only infotainment system. This system is on many of the trims, those too are off the consider list. And since its android based, unless Honda paid Google to go ahead and write specific Android operating systems for each and every trim on each and every model Honda sells, then, what ever Android operating system exists on the 2020 Civic Touring is also on the Type R, the Accord, the Passport and Pilot.

The speakers? Its the same mount across all models. Honda didnt hire a special team of designers and engineers to develop a specific set of speaker mounts just for the Touring model to induce rattling for these customers. They're the same regardless of model. What might change is the speaker component attached to the mount, but even then, the speakers aren't specifically engineered for each model. For example the speaker mount might be 6x9: on the base model they stick in a 6x9 speaker from Walmart's bluelight special and on the touring they stick in the bottom of the line-up 6x9 from Sony. Honda more than likely has some generic specifications like a 6x9 and tweeters and a 8" sub then buys these speakers in mass bulk from whomever is making them (say Sony for example) to get a fleet discount and then they stuff these speakers into as many make/model of car depending on the trim level as they can to save costs and increase profits. However, dont be fooled. Auto manufactures may advertise that your "upgraded sound system" comes with Bose speakers, you aren't getting Bose's top of the line speakers, youre going to get what ever the cheapest speakers they can negotiate from Bose in bulk to save costs where ever possible. Its the name they're buying not the product. And then you the customer thinks you're getting something special.

The models are incredibly similar regardless of trim. Thats how all car manufacturers save money, by keeping every make and model as similar as possible and reusing parts as much as possible across ALL their product lineup. The trick is to add just enough tweaks to each make/model to differentiate them enough from each other to attract different buyers in each segment. Hell many auto manufactures even team up with other manufacturers to develop a product then smack some makeup on their product and harold it as the best car to have ever existed. Take for example the BMW Z4 Roadster and the glorified Z-4 with Toyota badging on it that labels it a Supra. Except for some tweaks here and there, its the same car.

Its a win-win for everyone! The customer thinks they're getting something special (they're not) and the company gets to save millions on research/development so they can either pay their employees new higher wages from the saved money (hahaha) or pass the savings onto the CEO so he/she can buy another yacht.

So, now that I sound like a complete asshat here's my recommendation for the Touring:

You're getting Honda's version of AI on the Touring vs the EX-L with a couple other little tweaks to make you think you're getting something special vs the EX-L. Is this price difference worth it to you for the AI? For me, it was. There was a $1,500 difference at the time when I bought my civic coupe touring vs the EX-L. Amortized out over the 5 year life of the loan and broken down by cost per month, I realized I spend more on starbucks each week than I do on the $1,500 price difference and went ahead and got the touring. No issues yet. 38,000 miles.
Sponsored