Litfuse

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ordered CTR
Country flag
Again, if another version of the type R comes out, it will definitely put this one on the back burner at least initially. It doesn't matter what features, options it has etc., people always initially flock to the newer shinier vehicle. That doesn't mean there will not be a market for the 10th gen R, it just means it will not be as sought after.
I have to disagree, if they change the platform by only offering AWD or no longer a manual replaced with a dual clutch transmission. If it is evolution of the current platform, than yes, the 10th gen will be pushed back. If they add AWD for instance, that will add weight and change dynamics of the car. Clean, low mileage 10th gen CTRs will maintain or go up in value.
Sponsored

chattanoogaR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Stinger
Country flag
I have to disagree, if they change the platform by only offering AWD or no longer a manual replaced with a dual clutch transmission. If it is evolution of the current platform, than yes, the 10th gen will be pushed back. If they add AWD for instance, that will add weight and change dynamics of the car. Clean, low mileage 10th gen CTRs will maintain or go up in value.
Yeah, that's not how that works. Magazines will publish how amazing the 11th gen R is, cite a whole bunch of reasons why you should buy it, and that will be that. It's simple numbers, more general car buyers want what is newer.

Enthusiasts are a tiny market to begin with, competition with a newer model rarely helps. Again, there will always be a market for the R, but a newer, shinier one coming out will not help the current generation on the resale market.

Now if you are trying to make a case for 15 or 20 years down the road, that one is a crapshoot. I've seen vehicles hold a real sentimental value that had literally no following when they first came out, it is extremely hard to predict which vehicle will have a cult status that far down the road.

Litfuse

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ordered CTR
Country flag
Yeah, that's not how that works. Magazines will publish how amazing the 11th gen R is, cite a whole bunch of reasons why you should buy it, and that will be that. It's simple numbers, more general car buyers want what is newer.

Enthusiasts are a tiny market to begin with, competition with a newer model rarely helps. Again, there will always be a market for the R, but a newer, shinier one coming out will not help the current generation on the resale market.

Now if you are trying to make a case for 15 or 20 years down the road, that one is a crapshoot. I've seen vehicles hold a real sentimental value that had literally no following when they first came out, it is extremely hard to predict which vehicle will have a cult status that far down the road.
I suggest reading up on what happened with the C7 to C8 corvette. When it was announced that the C8 was not offering a manual transmission, C7s with the manual transmission increased in value. This typically does not happen when a new generation is offered, but it does happen in the enthusiast world of cars. Both with new cars and with older generations. But if it’s just minor tweaks with more power, yep, us 10th gen owners will take a hit.

chattanoogaR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Stinger
Country flag
I suggest reading up on what happened with the C7 to C8 corvette. When it was announced that the C8 was not offering a manual transmission, C7s with the manual transmission increased in value. This typically does not happen when a new generation is offered, but it does happen in the enthusiast world of cars. Both with new cars and with older generations. But if it’s just minor tweaks with more power, yep, us 10th gen owners will take a hit.
Exactly my point, the odds are not in favor of this happening with the R. Could Honda release an 11th gen R that is totally not what anyone wants? Sure, but that is not where the smart money is.

tinyman392

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Type R (RR)
Country flag
Exactly my point, the odds are not in favor of this happening with the R. Could Honda release an 11th gen R that is totally not what anyone wants? Sure, but that is not where the smart money is.
Honda has done this in the past I think. I think after the first Type R they ended up without independent suspension in the rear or something.

dwag0588

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 CW CTR, 2014 Mazda CX-5, 2006 NC Miata, 2018 Silverado 5.3 (work)
Country flag
Based on what I'm reading about the mostly electrified future of Honda, I suspect the 11th gen will be identical mechanically. The spy shots support this. The visible suspension components and brakes were identical to the 2020 models. I can't see them putting a ton of money into a hybrid/AWD/DCT Type R when the 12 gen is likely to be a ground up re-imagining with fully electric power anyway.

Based on those assumptions, future values will depend mostly on interior and exterior styling. The 10th gen is controversial, but I'm not loving the 11th gen concept's styling either. The front and rear look like they were designed by different teams. The 10th gen, though busy, is cohesive.

Z06_Pilot

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 CBP CTR #15484 | Corvette Z06's | Toyota Tundra #2, | Mini Cooper Countryman Works edition | Can-Am Spyder | Ducati X-Diavel
Country flag
I will add to this that the resale value of this car is insane right now. I started looking to sell my CTR a few days ago as my C8 Corvette will be delivered in May (no garage room for both , unfortunately), and I figured it would take a while to get it done. I was willing to sacrifice a couple of thousand dollars and NOT sell retail (didn't want the hassle of lookey-loos wanting to "test drive" my car), so for grins I checked out one of the large, national used auto dealers. They offered me north of $36k which is more than the MSRP $34,700 I paid for my 2018.

They came by yesterday with their faltbed, took a cursory look at the car and gave me a check. Done in 20 minutes. The guy told me it will be sold within an hour of putting it on their website. I was fine with leaving a little money on the table. I drove a fantastic car for almost 3 years and sold it for more than I bought it for. Has never happened to me in my 40 years of owning new cars.

So I figure, they have to sell it for what, $38,500 at least? That's MORE than MSRP for a 2021! It's a testament to what a fantastic car it is that almost 4 years after introduction, it is still commanding very high prices. Seemingly continuous short supply doesn't hurt either, I suppose.

OP
OP
First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
NHBP Acura RSX (sold), BB Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
Hey everyone, approximately a month later and now I can say I'm proud owner of R-42950! I must admit, the number is rather clean(?)

I ended up pulling my deposit from New Orleans. A couple of forum members messaged me and prompted me to call the old Spring Branch Honda (now team gillman Honda west). I got it at MSRP in the end, and ordered all my accessories from Bernardi parts at a discount. Thank you everyone for the advice; I'm thoroughly enjoying this car and managed to save potentially a thousand dollars in the process.
Honda Civic 10th gen Should I pay markup at this point? 20210316_192339
Honda Civic 10th gen Should I pay markup at this point? 20210316_193801
Honda Civic 10th gen Should I pay markup at this point? 20210321_091408

Bobbyt

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 type r
Country flag
Man what the F they are GIVING AWAY boost blue. Congrats
Rensselaer honda in ny boost blue 51k asking, lia honda boost blue 47k asking, mohawk honda boost blue asking 45k.so they're marked up big time for this color being the last year. I got my boost blue for msrp at Rensselaer honda because I ordered it and has a 2019 black type r for trade in value of 32k.its now for sale at 36,999 so they need to make money from so where obviously.

Honda Civic 10th gen Should I pay markup at this point? 20210319_220829

Siiick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 GT500, 20 Bolt EV, 19 Z06
Country flag
I started looking to sell my CTR a few days ago as my C8 Corvette will be delivered in May (no garage room for both , unfortunately), and I figured it would take a while to get it done.
Congrats on the C8, how exciting! I was in that same boat at my last house with only having a single garage. It’s a shame you could not keep the R to go with the vette. They make a great pair :cool:

I drove a fantastic car for almost 3 years and sold it for more than I bought it for. Has never happened to me in my 40 years of owning new cars.
You did great on that deal for sure. I just recently replaced my Fiesta ST with a Bolt to cure my desire for an electric vehicle. I didn’t trade the Fiesta but instead sold it to a company by the name of Shift. They paid me 6% less than what I paid for it brand new OTD back in Sep 2017. 4 years old with 27k miles and still had the original tires. A FORD FIESTA. And it was only a 6% depreciation hit. I snatched that money faster than a Pabst Blue Ribbon at a Nascar race.
Sponsored