SDAlexander8

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17’ Si FC3, 17’ Accord 2dr V6 6MT, 22’ RL RTL-E
Country flag
Yes I properly broke in the engine. And I didn't think to check the dipstick that early into the purchase. Especially since it came straight from the dealership.

I ended up doing the oil change and oil filter replacement, but still. I was shocked to see how little amount of oil there was. This is my first brand new car so this was a learning opportunity for me as well.

I now know what to look for after purchasing the next new vehicle. This whole process has been a huge learning experience.
That’s what honda civics are for dude. Learn on a car that doesn’t cost 60k. Then when you get a car that is worth 60k, you know your shit.
Sponsored

REBELXSi

Señor Member
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Si coupe RIP, '20 CRV EX-L Hybrid
Country flag
Or, you know, did you ever check your oil level between buying the car and changing the oil at 1500 miles?

At minimum you should be checking the oil level every fuel up. You should have checked it 3-5 times in 1500 miles.
No one does that... and by no one, I mean extremely few people.

REBELXSi

Señor Member
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Yes I properly broke in the engine. And I didn't think to check the dipstick that early into the purchase. Especially since it came straight from the dealership.

I ended up doing the oil change and oil filter replacement, but still. I was shocked to see how little amount of oil there was. This is my first brand new car so this was a learning opportunity for me as well.

I now know what to look for after purchasing the next new vehicle. This whole process has been a huge learning experience.
Don't beat yourself up, 99% of people wouldn't have checked their oil at 1500 miles or every fill up. That's anal as hell. I check mine about once a month and that's more than most people. Glad you caught it early.

JT Si

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Car
Country flag
Sure, but their usename is broke millennial. They bought a brand new car. If they want to make sure they don't become a more broke millennial, they should be doing everything they can to make their massive financial "investment" last as long as possible.

Also your casual take about yourself and a significant number of people being too lazy to take care of their stuff does not make what you're suggesting the right thing to do. It just makes it the common thing to do.

Don't conflate the right thing and the common thing.

Not to mention how the failure rate of the majority of mechanical and electrical devices is a bathtub curve - this means there is a high early failure rate, followed by a long period of few failures, followed by a resurgence in failure rate after significant aging.

When you buy a new car you should be attentive to any issues that crop up at the start of the bathtub curve.

Anyone that thinks they can just drop tens of thousands of dollars on a device and have no personal investment in its maintenance is living a very expensive fantasy.

Besides, what could you possibly be doing in the few minutes it takes to pump gas that is more important than opening the hood and taking a look at your twenty-five thousand dollar machine to make sure it's working? I'm talking checking the oil and a brief visual inspection. Last time I checked, it wasn't a legal requirement to have an ASE certification to do that.

Last edited:

REBELXSi

Señor Member
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Sure, but their usename is broke millennial. They bought a brand new car. If they want to make sure they don't become a more broke millennial, they should be doing everything they can to make their massive financial "investment" last as long as possible.

Also your casual take about yourself and a significant number of people being too lazy to take care of their stuff does not make what you're suggesting the right thing to do. It just makes it the common thing to do.

Not to mention how the failure rate of the majority of mechanical and electrical devices is a bathtub curve - this means there is a high early failure rate, followed by a long period of few failures, followed by a resurgence in failure rate after significant aging.

When you buy a new car you should be attentive to any issues that crop up at the start of the bathtub curve.

Anyone that thinks they can just drop tens of thousands of dollars on a device and have no personal investment in its maintenance is living a very expensive fantasy.

Besides, what could you possibly be doing in the few minutes it takes to pump gas that is more important than opening the hood and taking a look at your twenty-five thousand dollar machine to make sure it's working? I'm talking checking the oil and a brief visual inspection. Last time I checked, it wasn't a legal requirement to have an ASE certification to do that.
Like I said, I check mine monthly. The average person doesn't check very often at all and believe it or not, the roads aren't littered with cars with blown engines. Sure, you're extremely super careful with your car but I guarantee you're in the 1% of 1% of people who check their oil at every fill up... which brings up a good question.. How do you even check the oil on a hot engine? Do you sit there at the gas station until the motor has cooled down?

To sum it up, you can check your oil every day if it makes you feel better but it's unnecessary. If your car was burning oil at an alarming rate, you'd know before you checked, otherwise every few weeks/monthly is enough. I get gas every 3/4 days so yeah, no thanks.

JT Si

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Car
Country flag
Like I said, I check mine monthly. The average person doesn't check very often at all and believe it or not, the roads aren't littered with cars with blown engines. Sure, you're extremely super careful with your car but I guarantee you're in the 1% of 1% of people who check their oil at every fill up... which brings up a good question.. How do you even check the oil on a hot engine? Do you sit there at the gas station until the motor has cooled down? Some people live in full service states.

To sum it up, you can check your oil every day if it makes you feel better but it's unnecessary. If your car was burning oil at an alarming rate, you'd know before you checked, otherwise every few weeks/monthly is enough. I get gas every 3/4 days so yeah, no thanks.
Not sure what a hot engine has to do with checking oil, I have zero issue pulling hot dipstick. Oil is generally intended to be checked at operating temp.

I also live in a full service state. There's no rule you aren't allowed to get out of your car and check your own oil. Shit, I wash my own windows too because the gas station attendants can't seem to wash them without leaving a bunch of streaks.

You can attempt diminish my point all you want, but it just makes you sound more ignorant. Especially in the particular case in question, where they trusted the dealer to do their job and the dealer didn't. Why are there so many of us that say to never trust the dealer? It's almost like it's a predictable scenario.

The bottom line is if you spend $25k on something, you should pay attention to make sure it's working as intended. No one else is responsible for making sure it works. The dealer isn't going to magically know something is wrong and send a technician to your house. You have to know there's something wrong and take it to them. The responsibility is ultimately on the owner.

As a side note, I live in an area with no mandatory inspection or emissions checks. There are countless cars on the road that barely run. Pouring out oil smoke, barely able to stop, unsafe suspension making handling visibly dangerous, etc.

The reason cars that are not cared for aren't around is they are forced off the roads by inspections and emissions testing. Remove that and you get to see all kinds of really stupid shit.

Last edited:

WF19

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si sedan Aegean Blue Metallic; 2003 Pontiac Vibe (just sold)
Country flag
I don't even do that on my 2003 Vibe that has a minor oil leak. I've never seen it low on oil.

IronFusion

First Name
Fred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Coupe EX-L
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I wait as long as possible to change. I check the oil infrequently; once every few months. I don't have leaks, so where's it going to go?

If my car, this Civic, is consuming oil with under 40k miles it's time to get rid of it.
I park in a garage, so sometimes I remote start as I'm walking up to it- just to hear it and get a whiff of exhaust scent. I'll also leave it running after pulling into the garage every so often, especially if I was hard on it during the drive. I've got a good nose. Plus the car never has smoke after start-up.

I use oil I trust, and change the filter every time (also a product I trust). I've also analyzed my oil every change since the first (freebie) so I know I can go longer than I even have been.

I won't go more than a year though. If I was only making trips to stores nearby I'd probably change in fall and spring because short trips can lead to the oil taking on moisture and becoming acidic. Even with all the COVIDling, a store I go to every 2-3 weeks is a 20min drive.

Everyone is entitled to care/not for their car how they want. Just be sure to recycle.

alxgravel

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic si 2017
Country flag
Since I'm tuned , I do oil change at 6-8k kilo. Well when I'm at 50% I drop it..

liquidbluesi

First Name
john
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si Coupe
Country flag

I hope I am never behind you waiting to fill my tank.

n2da2nd

It's Senor Bane to ya
First Name
Nam
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Hatchback Sport Touring
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
This is my opinion on oil changes. I change my oil at 5k reguardless
what the manufacturer says my commute to work is 20 miles around trip is 40 also using synthetic if I was doing shorter trips like you I would change it at 3k IMO
This is exactly what i have been doing ever since i got my car. Workplace is around 10miles round trip. I change the oil every 2500 miles.

JT Si

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Car
Country flag
I hope I am never behind you waiting to fill my tank.
It takes more time to pump 10 gallons of gas than it does to check your oil level and look over your engine for 20 seconds.

Also, screw you. Chastising someone for taking care of a multi-ton death machine to ensure it doesn't kill another day is unacceptable.

liquidbluesi

First Name
john
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
It takes more time to pump 10 gallons of gas than it does to check your oil level and look over your engine for 20 seconds.

Also, screw you. Chastising someone for taking care of a multi-ton death machine to ensure it doesn't kill another day is unacceptable.
Wasting time at the gas pump ,checking your oil keeps you from killing someone? I don't think so...
Also checking your oil shortly after the engine has been running is not very accurate, Dumbass. It should be done after it has been turned off and sat idle for a while.

JT Si

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Car
Country flag
Wasting time at the gas pump ,checking your oil keeps you from killing someone? I don't think so...
Also checking your oil shortly after the engine has been running is not very accurate, Dumbass. It should be done after it has been turned off and sat idle for a while.
Go shitpost somewhere else.
Sponsored