EdwinDrn

First Name
Edwin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Odyssey, 19' Civic Si
Country flag
Hey all! I am super anal with this car.. LOL.. Just wondering if I should go ahead and get an oil change given these circumstances:

Purchased the car in late May 2019..
Did the first oil change in December 2019 @6,205 miles.
Currently, as of June 3rd. I am @7,363 miles.. The maintenance ticker shows 50%

Picture of the oil;
Honda Civic 10th gen Should I get an Oil Change?? 1591198923064

My last job only required that I drive 5 miles both ways. My current job is remote so I'd be moving it even less.

This is my first rodeo with somewhat sporty car.. Just want to make sure following proper procedures.
Sponsored

saz468

First Name
Stan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 civic EX Aegean blue metallic
Country flag
This is my opinion on oil changes. I change my oil at 5k reguardless
what the manufacturer says my commute to work is 20 miles around trip is 40 also using synthetic if I was doing shorter trips like you I would change it at 3k IMO

Zodd

First Name
david
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
civic sport 1.5t 2018
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
This is my opinion on oil changes. I change my oil at 5k reguardless
what the manufacturer says my commute to work is 20 miles around trip is 40 also using synthetic if I was doing shorter trips like you I would change it at 3k IMO
i do oil changes at 5-6k miles max, and for 21years of driving 3 suzukis and honda now, i never had engine related issue... i will stick to that no matter what MM say :) oil is cheap engine rebuild and broken turbos are not :)

jayy_swish

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Sport Touring
Country flag
Depends on what oil you have in there, I would replace your oil more frequently if you do not let it get up to temperature (since we have no oil temp gauge it’s roughly 5min after the coolant has gotten to operating temperature). You need to let the fuel evaporate out of the oil or you will get dilution over time. If it’s a commuter car that gets you from A to B and you don’t mod or push it I’d leave it till the reminder tells you to replace.. just top off when need too, but if it concerns you just have it replaced so your not stressing over it. I use Amsoil SS and just go off the maintenance reminder because I trust Amsoil’s oil to last the duration of it (I only get about 5,500-6,000 anyways).

OP
OP

EdwinDrn

First Name
Edwin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Odyssey, 19' Civic Si
Country flag
I ended up changing it today. . LOL

Zeffenn

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
Honestly, it's not going to hurt to get an oil change when it's dark like that.

Personally, when I do an oil change on my cars, I drain the oil and replace the oil filter with a cheap one, then I fill up with cheap oil, run the car for a couple minutes and drain again. I then replace the oil filter with a Honda oil filter and fill up with Castrol Edge synthetic. The only reason that I do this is to flush that old black oil out of every crevice of the engine. Doing this, when I pull the dip stick on my cars, the oil is clear/golden until it's time to change it again.

SDAlexander8

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17’ Si FC3, 17’ Accord 2dr V6 6MT, 22’ RL RTL-E
Country flag
Honestly, it's not going to hurt to get an oil change when it's dark like that.

Personally, when I do an oil change on my cars, I drain the oil and replace the oil filter with a cheap one, then I fill up with cheap oil, run the car for a couple minutes and drain again. I then replace the oil filter with a Honda oil filter and fill up with Castrol Edge synthetic. The only reason that I do this is to flush that old black oil out of every crevice of the engine. Doing this, when I pull the dip stick on my cars, the oil is clear/golden until it's time to change it again.
Man that is the most anal oil change procedure I’ve ever heard. Good for you.:thumbsup:

Siiick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 GT500, 20 Bolt EV, 19 Z06
Country flag
I'd go based off the oil life indicator and change it when it tells you to change it. No sense in wasting money changing it any sooner. You have a 5 year/60k powertrain warranty so what's the worry? Keep your receipts and service records showing you changed it and you are good.

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Honda Civic Si
Country flag
I bought my 2020 Si brand new and changed my oil 1500 miles in only to find out I only had 1.7 liters of oil in the car. I would suggest the sooner you change it the better.

REBELXSi

Señor Member
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Si coupe RIP, '20 CRV EX-L Hybrid
Country flag
IF I drove as little as some people on here do, I'd change my oil at 5k or every 6 months... which ever came first. If you don't drive much, getting an oil change twice a year won't break the bank.

Small trips and lots of time between them supposedly isn't good for this engine. Change it every 6 months.

saiko21

First Name
Sai
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si Sedan (Sold) , 2005 Toyota Corolla (Sold)
Country flag
I do short commutes sometimes but I am from california. Right now the temperature are hitting 100F. My 7 miles commute includes 4-5miles of I5 Highway where my vehicle speed reaches 70mph. I change at around 6k miles mostly

SDAlexander8

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17’ Si FC3, 17’ Accord 2dr V6 6MT, 22’ RL RTL-E
Country flag
I bought my 2020 Si brand new and changed my oil 1500 miles in only to find out I only had 1.7 liters of oil in the car. I would suggest the sooner you change it the better.
Are you burning oil? Did you properly break in the engine?

JT Si

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Car
Country flag
Or, you know, did you ever check your oil level between buying the car and changing the oil at 1500 miles?

At minimum you should be checking the oil level every fuel up. You should have checked it 3-5 times in 1500 miles.

I checked all my fluids, tire pressures, and lug torque when I got home from buying my Si. Predelivery inspection has to look at a damn lot of stuff, so there's a high probability they miss something.

For you it was the engine oil. For me it was the lug torque. Either way, being the person who owns, drives, and is generally responsible for the car you should have known about your oil level far before 1500 miles.

Last edited:

Zeffenn

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
Also, not trying scare anyone, but on new cars, if they don't recommend in the owners manual to do a break in oil change, then you shouldn't.
The reason behind this is that manufacturers aren't expecting owners to do a break in oil change anymore because the break in oil contains additives that contribute to breaking in the engine during its first oil change cycle.

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Honda Civic Si
Country flag
Yes I properly broke in the engine. And I didn't think to check the dipstick that early into the purchase. Especially since it came straight from the dealership.

I ended up doing the oil change and oil filter replacement, but still. I was shocked to see how little amount of oil there was. This is my first brand new car so this was a learning opportunity for me as well.

Or, you know, did you ever check your oil level between buying the car and changing the oil at 1500 miles?

At minimum you should be checking the oil level every fuel up. You should have checked it 3-5 times in 1500 miles.

I checked all my fluids, tire pressures, and lug torque when I got home from buying my Si. Predelivery inspection has to look at a damn lot of stuff, so there's a high probability they miss something.

For you it was the engine oil. For me it was the lug torque. Either way, being the person who owns, drives, and is generally responsible for the car you should have known about your oil level far before 1500 miles.
I now know what to look for after purchasing the next new vehicle. This whole process has been a huge learning experience.
Sponsored