Should I get an intercooler or CVT cooler for my Civic Hatch Sport?

asdf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Hatchback Sport
Country flag
I plan on getting a ktuner v2 as well as Greddy SP exhaust and wanted to know which cooler option to get. I know they do different things, but was wondering which would provide the most reliability/performance boost.

Also side question: should I get a CAI or intercooler/CVT cooler first? I don't plan on tracking my car but I heard you may need an intercooler to deal with heat soak after tune.
Sponsored

Joe1986

Banned
First Name
joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda
I plan on getting a ktuner v2 as well as Greddy SP exhaust and wanted to know which cooler option to get. I know they do different things, but was wondering which would provide the most reliability/performance boost.

Also side question: should I get a CAI or intercooler/CVT cooler first? I don't plan on tracking my car but I heard you may need an intercooler to deal with heat soak after tune.
Cvt cooler only if your gonna be racing and push the car hard alot other wise get the intercooler

OP
OP

asdf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Cvt cooler only if your gonna be racing and push the car hard alot other wise get the intercooler
Yeah I don't push the car too hard, only sometimes when I go run in canyons but that only lasts a few hours. I know the intercooler cools air before it enters the engine and I believe the CVT cooler cools down fluids, but what are the actual performance benefits/differences between these two things?

zspeed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Sport Hatchback FK7
Country flag
I would also suggest for you to get a larger opening front grille to aid the cooling.

A CVT cooler will help your tranny temp to stay stable when you’re pushing the car to the limit.

Joe1986

Banned
First Name
joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda
Yeah I don't push the car too hard, only sometimes when I go run in canyons but that only lasts a few hours. I know the intercooler cools air before it enters the engine and I believe the CVT cooler cools down fluids, but what are the actual performance benefits/differences between these two things?
The performance benefits of the cvt cooler is keeping your car tranny from blowing up when you pushing it to the max

Seth_FC3

First Name
Seth
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 SI coupe
Country flag
Trans cooler keeps transmission temps down. Intercooler keeps the air coming into the engine cooler.. Trans coolers does nothing for performance, just keeps temps down so you don't destroy your tranny. IC can add a few HP cuz of the cooler air.

Feddy_Ace

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Hatchback Sport CVT
Country flag
I think a trans cooler and oil cooler/big radiator might help more. The guys at ProCivic blew the turbo on their shop car because the 1.5 gets very hot under serious track conditions. You’ll have to keep engine temps down a lot.

Bosco72

First Name
Albert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic coupe sport
Country flag
I was thinking about getting one. How hard is it to put in

herox

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Si

Whatever you decide to buy first, I would do the CAI and intercooler at the same time. You have to remove the bumper, might as well do both at the same time.

OP
OP

asdf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Whatever you decide to buy first, I would do the CAI and intercooler at the same time. You have to remove the bumper, might as well do both at the same time.
Is getting an intercooler to go with the CAI mandatory? I don't track and just want some nice noises as long as the heat soak isn't noticeable to the point where it decreases overall performance.

Feddy_Ace

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Hatchback Sport CVT
Country flag
Is getting an intercooler to go with the CAI mandatory? I don't track and just want some nice noises as long as the heat soak isn't noticeable to the point where it decreases overall performance.
Nope. It of course will help, but you would need a tune to maximize it. A bigger intercooler will change the volumetrics of the intake system and likely lead to a lot of lag without a proper tune. The base 1.5T responses very well to a good CAI once the ECU adjusts for the new airflow.

herox

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Si
It's not mandatory but there are benefits. Dyno tests have shown you'll pick up a little bit of power and at less boost (~1-2 psi?). My suggestion is that if you do plan on buying both then to do the install for both at the same time.

Here are some articles for the 10th gen Civic on the subject:
https://www.mishimoto.com/engineeri...c-turbo-performance-intercooler-dyno-results/

https://dsportmag.com/the-tech/test-n-tune/honda-civic-si-test-tune/

https://dsportmag.com/the-tech/boosting-to-the-limits-of-the-civics-td03-turbo/

https://store.27won.com/2016-civic-intercooler-upgrade-fmic-kit.html
Sponsored

Last edited: