1.5T Should I get an air intake?

Mo-Mo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
10th gen Honda civic hatchback sport
Country flag
New owner of a 10th gen 2019 Civic sport and I was wondering if a shielded cold air intake would do anything more than the stock intake? If so what's a good starter intake?
Sponsored

fenix-silver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Si
Country flag
You might get a few more HP out of a CAI, but any increase surely won't be noticeable on its own. The stock intake is already pretty good at pulling in cold air. Now, if you want some fun intake sounds, the PRL Cobra and 27won CAI intakes are high quality.

bluehatch17

First Name
bluehatch17
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 sport touring hatchback. 2019 Coupe sport.
Country flag
If this is your first mod. You should get ktuner or hondata. If you have a lot of other mods and are just adding stuff. I would honestly save a little more and get an exhaust first.

vnp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Ex
Country flag
If this is your first mod. You should get ktuner or hondata. If you have a lot of other mods and are just adding stuff. I would honestly save a little more and get an exhaust first.
Second this. I got a Ktuner with Pearable 1.5r when I bought my Cobra CAI

REBELXSi

Señor Member
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Si coupe RIP, '20 CRV EX-L Hybrid
Country flag
Ktuner is a better bang for buck. If I was doing it again I'd get that first. That being said, I loved the sounds the PRL CAI make... but it's really mostly just that.

Reactions: Myx

vnp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Ex
Country flag
Ktuner is a better bang for buck. If I was doing it again I'd get that first. That being said, I loved the sounds the PRL CAI make... but it's really mostly just that.
My Cobra dropped my ITA/ITA2 by 15 degrees so I think it’s just more than the sound when combined with the right tuned, given that I got the race MAF.

REBELXSi

Señor Member
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
My Cobra dropped my ITA/ITA2 by 15 degrees so I think it’s just more than the sound when combined with the right tuned, given that I got the race MAF.
Yeah but if you're going to get one over the other, the ktuner will be much more bang for buck. I'd definitely recommend the CAI eventually.

Jason Baker

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
For me personally, going back a few years, I would say CAI then exhaust and then Ktuner/Hondata.

This way the car can breath a bit more and the tuners will play with fuel and timing.

Once you get a feel for that and understand the risk involved, then take the plunge into other stuff but be prepared for the rabbit hole!

Enjoy!!

REBELXSi

Señor Member
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
For me personally, going back a few years, I would say CAI then exhaust and then Ktuner/Hondata.
The thing is, if you're getting a CAI, ideally you want the race MAF version and you need to be running something like ktuner for that anyway, right?

Jason Baker

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
The thing is, if you're getting a CAI, ideally you want the race MAF version and you need to be running something like ktuner for that anyway, right?
Yes you do need a tuner for race Maf but start at a street and move to race when you’re ready. Stage it out. Don’t jump right to “race” anything. Once you start running race stuff, you’re reliability goes out the window. This is when it starts getting foolish money-wise.
By foolish I mean, pull out your checkbook because now you’re in the rabbit hole.
Just my 2 pennies!

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
I have to second that to an extent. A quality street MAF intake is a good first bolt-on.

kytos

First Name
Marcos
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
CIVIC SPORT 1.5t 2017 EUDM
Country flag
Race MAFs exist to allow more airflow reading due to sensor limits, usually by itself isnt going to increase much power without other mods to take advantage like a big turbo. Another benefit is less restriction on the intake side but its minimal.

Myx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic EX (Hatchback/CVT)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
New owner of a 10th gen 2019 Civic sport and I was wondering if a shielded cold air intake would do anything more than the stock intake?

Why not do both? Stock Airbox Modded for Cold Air

And to answer your question, here is one quote from the thread I posted below.

Alright, so I went ahead and ran to AutoZone and picked up some Thermo Tec tape. I wrapped not only the cold air tube, but the weird shaped part of the intake that runs above the turbo, and then some of the flex tube (until I ran out of tape, ha).

I'm super happy with the results!

Before wrap
Driving highway: 15 above ambient
Driving city: 20-30 above ambient
Stationary: 40-50 above ambient

After wrap
Driving highway: 10-12 above ambient
Driving city: 10-15 above ambient
Stationary: 15-20 above ambient

I've noticed that the rise at stationary drops back down to driving temps much quicker with the wrap, too.

I may end up getting another roll of tape to finish wrapping the flex tubing, and possibly even cover the entire airbox.

3E5CvIFBxtfsPbcL2veOYZhHMiIGazI6hIojF2T2FycFmd8qXUMwsxNjvm4s4002RH46XepG9lfnHnpP5A=w1399-h787-no.jpg

You can kinda see the wrapped cold air tube in this one:
08i6SyzLt8f0VXzAaSs97vKGjbe_anNFAEKtbQSI4n6HdbjnYWlZp6KaBgWHYMIsP69dWfbm4eAstBVexw=w1399-h787-no.jpg