Should I get a tune?

dallasjhawk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T, 2015 Acura RDX AWD Tech
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
@dallasjhawk Do you have any info on the transmission failures that were not from tuned vehicles?

Also I should mention that Hondata's CVT Torque Limit tables were only available as of September 7th, 2017. Without the ECU limiting torque to the CVT trans, it is possible to have the belt slip depending on your boost level (torque output really) and driving style. This would be true no matter what tuning device you use. Unfortunately the factory CVT trans is only capable of safely handling so much torque.

In my opinion, the CVT torque limits will allow most customers to achieve "enough power" for their liking, but if you really want to go all out, the manual transmission is the way to go. Also the CVTs are quite fast in the quarter mile. Hondata's 2016 CVT sedan is feels pretty damn fast if you ever get a chance to ride in it.

This is a really important video to watch for anyone tuning their CVT 10th Civic:

Im running a custom tuned e30 blend CVT, its friggen wicked how quick it climbs from a 40 roll to 100. Tuned with boost by gear so I keep the torque off the bottom end where its very susceptible to damage.
Sponsored

procivic

Elite Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.procivic.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si Sedan, Others
Country flag
Im running a custom tuned e30 blend CVT, its friggen wicked how quick it climbs from a 40 roll to 100. Tuned with boost by gear so I keep the torque off the bottom end where its very susceptible to damage.
Yep, and that's a great idea. Combining boost by gear with torque limits on CVT is the safest way to go. If we had a CVT shop car, I'd do that too.

KTuner

Elite Sponsor
First Name
J.R.
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.KTuner.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Si
Country flag
The best way to limit torque is to appropriately set boost targets in the peak torque RPM range either with the boost target tables or the boost by gear tables. Relying on the ECU to pullback the throttle, which in turn reduces boost targets, can make for turbulent power delivery.

VitViper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lots
The best way to limit torque is to appropriately set boost targets in the peak torque RPM range either with the boost target tables or the boost by gear tables. Relying on the ECU to pullback the throttle, which in turn reduces boost targets, can make for turbulent power delivery.
This. How much torque you make is ultimately relative to how much boost you run. Any "limits" (which are just factory tables available in all ECU's) in the ECU simply request a certain amount of throttle reduction, which in turn translates to a final amount of BOOST reduction. The turbo is so small on these motors that even with the throttle plate 60% open you can still make 25psi of boost... and the throttle reduction has virtually no impact on torque without boost being reduced. You can however "feel" this "pullback".

So we just cut straight to the chase and tune the car with the boost curve customers want/need.

Last edited:

dallasjhawk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Thanks for the information. There were no codes associated with our maximum torque transmission testing. Do you know if the transmission was inspected?
All i know is the guy said they replaced no questions asked and they did not do a tear down before warrantying it. Not sure if they did after. Ill try to contact him again

nanotube

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic EX-T
I'm still undecided if I should get KTuner or Hondata. I will probably just go with the base tunes since I have a CVT and don't plan on upgrading anything like intakes, exhaust, etc. To me looks like Hondata would make more power. Hondata 6 psi tune would mean the car would be producing 22.5 psi (16.5 + 6) and KTuner advertises 21 psi. Am I wrong coming to this conclusion? Can I increase KTuner to 22.5 psi?

KTuner

Elite Sponsor
First Name
J.R.
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.KTuner.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Si
Country flag
I'm still undecided if I should get KTuner or Hondata. I will probably just go with the base tunes since I have a CVT and don't plan on upgrading anything like intakes, exhaust, etc. To me looks like Hondata would make more power. Hondata 6 psi tune would mean the car would be producing 22.5 psi (16.5 + 6) and KTuner advertises 21 psi. Am I wrong coming to this conclusion? Can I increase KTuner to 22.5 psi?
With the starter maps you have full control to change boost levels. Look at the real-world gains on the dyno sheet, not the perceived change in boost level, as an indicator if you're looking for what makes more power.

dallasjhawk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Yes you are wrong in your conclusion. your stock advertised psi is 16.5 but it never EVER even gets close. The most I saw was 12.5-13. Running the +6 got me to 19.5. Dont worry about boost though, there are so many factors in getting power out of these.

rpetersen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Hatchback Sport
Country flag
What is this CVT surge update that you all are speaking of?
Is this something I should address with the dealer?
Sorry for the stupid questions, I don't post a lot, I just read alot

Bkunz02

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si Coupe, 2017 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Smoky Mountain Edition
Yes you are wrong in your conclusion. your stock advertised psi is 16.5 but it never EVER even gets close. The most I saw was 12.5-13. Running the +6 got me to 19.5. Dont worry about boost though, there are so many factors in getting power out of these.
Do you have to have a custom tune done for the Si or is this more for the CVT’s and 6MT? Noob here, so I apologize if this is a no-brainer. Thanks guys!

OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
I started this topic about 5 months ago when I was considering getting a tune. I didn't know what to expect. Over the last 5 months I've learned a lot and hopefully can give others an idea if a tune is the way to go for them. A few days ago I uploaded my first flash ECU tune. The +6 Flashpro base map with Hondata mode on. I like it a lot. I gives me basically the same feel and MPG at low throttle as stock. At high throttle, the difference is pretty huge. Passing power is now effortless. So far so good.

So should YOU get a tune? If you'd like more power, it's a no brainer. Yes. No other single mod will give you more smiles than a flash tuner. But, should you be concerned about warranty? Honestly, if you use a base Ktuner or Hondata map, and are stock, I think you'll be fine. If you play around and adjust the tune (and don't know what you're doing) ... well that's another story. If you already have some engine mods or are looking for every last drop of power, your best bet would be to have it tuned by a pro.
------------

Ktuner vs. Flashpro

That's a big topic of debate. Flashpro is the old school brand and Ktuner is the up and comer. The fact is, both companies make good stuff and we're lucky to have two good choices. I think it all comes down to what your plans are and maybe where you live.

Ultimately I went with the CARB Flashpro for a couple reasons. They lowered the price to $495. Also, I live in a CARB state. And basically I wanted a simple set and forget setup. But even on the CARB unit, I can adjust boost and torque, remove the speed limiter, disable VSA and use the dual tune with the Econ button as the switch. The Race Flashpro offers many more adjustments.

As far as Ktuner. It's a great product. The quick adjustments are user friendly and adjusted correctly can give you some improved drivability over Flashpro. A lot of people say Ktuner may get you a little more power too. And they are sold at a great price point. $449 without a touch screen and $649 with.

------------

I think anyone that's looking for more passing power and more overall driving enjoyment should at least consider a tune. If you go too overboard with the boost and torque though, there could be problems. If you drive it daily like a race car, and gun it light to light, there could be problems. I think you have to either just use the base tunes or have it tuned by a pro to keep things safe. As far as warranty, for the most part a tune shouldn't affect most warranty related issues. On the other hand if you blow your engine or bust your CVT by overdoing things, you're probably SOL at the dealership.

dallasjhawk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Do you have to have a custom tune done for the Si or is this more for the CVT’s and 6MT? Noob here, so I apologize if this is a no-brainer. Thanks guys!
you dont have to custom tune any of them. The included basemaps from KTuner that I and many of my friends run, are safe for the model they were made for! Custom tuning just extracts the most you can from your specific engine and setup. The basetunes are made to run on all types of civics and environments.
Sponsored