Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
For the most part I love my Civic EX-L. It's comfortable. Gets excellent gas mileage. Handles reasonably well. But it's far from a sport sedan. I'm going to do some minor changes to the suspension to tighten things up so I'll be happier with it. It's also my daily driver.

Now that I've driven it harder more often... the CVT is a bit of a let down. I wish I had more control and I wish there wasn't so much lag between pressing the accelerator and something happening. Don't get me wrong, for normal day to day cruising the car is fine but push it and it's a little disappointing.

So I've been thinking about getting a Ktuner or Flashpro but I want to keep the reliability. How much of an improvement in driveability would I feel with a +6 basemap running 91 octane? Would it feel less laggy when I put my foot into it? And if I plan on keeping the car for 7-10 years would it be a mistake to get a tune?

Thanks.
Sponsored

hfpdohc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hatch 2017 M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
only time will tells with tunes.........i would keep it stock and after 4-5 years or when hondata works with a tune thats under warranty with honda that would be another story....if that never happens i would stay stock

jms

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Civic Touring Coupe, '21 Honda Accord Touring
Country flag
I've decided to keep my car stock. While I would love the performance boost a tune would bring, the little bit of peace of mind I would loose concerning the reliability would not make it worth it for me.

Myx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic EX (Hatchback/CVT)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Now that I've driven it harder more often... the CVT is a bit of a let down. I wish I had more control and I wish there wasn't so much lag between pressing the accelerator and something happening. Don't get me wrong, for normal day to day cruising the car is fine but push it and it's a little disappointing.

Thanks.

Since it is a little disappointing, I'd say no, don't go for a Ktuner. Sounds like you should've purchase a manual tranny to have more control. If you are REALLY disappointed, then perhaps consider a tune.

OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Myx, I couldn't have purchased a manual because it isn't available with the leather interior I preferred. I don't mind the CVT for the most part but it's definitely lacking when driven hard.

I'm mostly asking those that have the CVT and the turbo (and a tune) whether they're happy with the improvements to the driveability of the car and the reliability down the road.

Most of my cars have been manual. My last car was an automatic with manual mode. I do kind of miss having more control but my biggest issue with the Civic is the combo of turbo and CVT lag that causes it to fall on it's face at times.

360glitch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Accord Sport 2.0T, 2017 Si Sedan (Sold), 2017 Sport Hatchback (Sold)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Well worth it in my opinion. If you want more power, it is the way to go. You can have lots of fun, safely, with a tune.

ayeerock

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civc FK7 Sport
Country flag
Love my cvt. I owned a Z32 and a S13 (Both 5 speed) before this car and I don't mind the cvt. Had the same issue with the throttle response of the cvt before the tune. I run it on Hondata Eco mode when I want to save gas. Other times I drive with the tune on and love every second of it. Really depends on how you drive your car. The Turbo and CVT don't like really hot weather, try not to push it on those triple digit days. My advice is drive it like a normal car when you need it to be and then floor it on who deserves it. Hondata advised me to remember to flash back to stock before any warranty work at the dealer.

Reactions: Myx

yiuchungpang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Touring CVT
I have a CVT and touring model. The difference before and after the tune is quite significant. I used ktuner stage 2 base map, because I have similar concerns as you. The tune eliminated the turbo lag, which was a big thing for me. My girlfriend drives my car once in a while, and she noticed a big change (I did not tell her about the tune)

OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
If you have a CVT I would stay stock.
I assume you're saying that because the CVT can't handle the torque. But I'm just looking for a boost in driveability (less lag, a bit more power) not massive ultimate power. I also live in a CA emissions state so I'm leaning towards doing the +6 Hondata CARB base tune running 89 or 91 octane. That's supposed to be fairly conservative.

fiend busa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R
Country flag
I don't get why people would wait 4-5 years. Who knows what's going to happen at that time lol

dallasjhawk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T, 2015 Acura RDX AWD Tech
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
CVT here running 25.5 psi on e30 fuel. Love every bit of it. Car is a totally different monster tuned and untuned

Shankmeyster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I don't get why people would wait 4-5 years. Who knows what's going to happen at that time lol
They're talking about the warranty term. Safer to wait til warranty is up, if you are worried about it, before you tune.

aydingokce

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic HB 1.5 Sport CVT
"Should I get a tune", this is the question I am asking myself since I bought the car (2017 1.5T CVT). Possible CVT issues are scaring me, but, moreover, I am now worried about EGT. Last weekend, I got some WOT logs by "torque pro" android software and was shocked to see that exhaust gas temperature reached 1000 degrees celcius. This is despite the engine runs pretty rich at WOT. I wonder what will happen when I get a +6PSI tune. It will be 1200 maybe?

yht29

BOOST PATROL
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SGP Sport, CVT
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Tuned CVT with +6 Mishimoto here. I drive in stop and go LA traffic, I occasionally disable the tune with eco on when I'm trying to not be a heavy foot. It's a nice bump of power and not at all aggressive. It's perfectly fine within the CVT parameters.
Sponsored