Should I change my oil?

ctrboiii

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CW Type R
Country flag
I purchased my '21 FK8 new about a year ago and recently got a maintenance minder letting me know that my oil life is at 15%. The issue is that I'm only at 2K miles and wasn't planning on getting my first oil change until I hit the 5K mark. I was searching through the forum and it seems like most people don't get this maintenance minder until well past 5K miles. I also checked the dipstick and my oil level was fine so I don't believe it's due to a leak. Could it just be the car notifying me that the 1 year mark is approaching or is that not a factor for the oil life percentage? Will I need to go ahead and get the oil changed now?

Thanks!
Sponsored

VTecYoSelfB4UWreckYoSelf

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si Sedan Aegean Blue
Country flag
I'm guessing the car is going off of time and not intervals. Factory oil usually lasts for about 10k miles.

wildbilly32

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
05 Porsche C4S 19 CTR #24184 19 Volvo XC40 R
Country flag
You will get lots of opinions on this question. I would change the oil. I know...I know "but it's synthetic...". That doesn't mean it was made by Unicorns! This is a turbo engine. Turbos make a lot of heat which is "shared" with the oil. So many things go into when an oil is done and way beyond my pay grade. My 2019 has a total of @4.5k miles and has had three oil changes. Am I overdoing it? Not in my opinion. Dirt, fuel, combustion by products and moisture end up in the oil. None of that stuff is good from the insides of the engine. 5k miles? Nope too long for me. 10k miles? OH HELL NO!!! BTW I believe the oil minder does have a time calculation component in it's logic...for a good reason.

gxl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R PMM
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
The maintenance minder is based on 1 year or 10k miles. Takes into account other conditions as well. Follow the maintenance minder for the first oil change, since that sounds like factory oil. After that, change as much as you like.

MoodySara

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Type R - Boost Blue; 2024 Civic Touring - SGP
Country flag
My CTR goes almost 10K miles before the MM says it needs new oil.
My wife's 2.0T Accord only goes about 3,500. Her driving is mostly low-speed rural town driving, and she doesn't rack up many miles per year.
I assume Honda knows what it's doing with the MM and follow it.

wildbilly32

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
05 Porsche C4S 19 CTR #24184 19 Volvo XC40 R
Country flag
My wife's 2.0T Accord only goes about 3,500. Her driving is mostly low-speed rural town driving, and she doesn't rack up many miles per year.
To each their own.

I trust a high performance engine builder(not Honda engines) I know more than Honda.

CTRnFun

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Civic Type R
Country flag
After a year, the oil gets moisture and other contaminants in it. This is more of a best practice I would say. You can go further, but do you want to risk it.

OP
OP

ctrboiii

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CW Type R
Country flag
The maintenance minder is based on 1 year or 10k miles. Takes into account other conditions as well. Follow the maintenance minder for the first oil change, since that sounds like factory oil. After that, change as much as you like.
Gotcha, that makes sense. I was just concerned because I kept seeing everyone talk about how the factory oil has additives that are necessary during the break-in period for the first 5k miles but if there’s no harm changing it out early I’d rather listen to the maintenance minder. Thanks!

Reactions: gxl

sLing

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Type R
Typically if I'm buying a used vehicle I would change all the fluids just to be safe.

Methane Herder

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
I'm pretty sure I can change oil and filter every 3k miles for quite some time (myself) before I spend more than what it costs to rebuild/replace a little tightly wound, turbocharged, Honda 4 cylinder engine (can't do myself). Just doing the beer math here.

MH

SethNES

Banned
Banned
First Name
Seth
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
Might as well change it because 40-50 dollars doing it yourself with synthetic and a good filter is a lot better than running on old oil. Just change it yourself if you can or if not then still not too expensive unless go to dealership for some reason to do it.

FK8CW2019

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Type R
Country flag

I think your wife is not telling you something

MoodySara

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Type R - Boost Blue; 2024 Civic Touring - SGP
Country flag
I think your wife is not telling you something
Possibly.
Her car before the Accord was a Subaru WRX.
Before the WRX she had a Civic Si.
She does know how to put a boot in it.
She's 73 now so maybe she's lost a tenth or two.
Sponsored