SHORTER SHIFTER WITH KNOB??THE ANSWER IS.......

hfpdohc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hatch 2017 M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Hello guys and gals just wanted to share something i ask myself a couple times in the previous models.......
Does a shift knob really help with short trow and SITTING LOWER
and the answer is just YES!!!!!!

i just got the typeR one a couple weeks ago and all i can say is
WOW sits like 1 inch lower easy
and feels amazing!!!!

look for yourself ;)
dont mind the boot there not compatible but i got it fix with elecrtical tape ;)

Honda Civic 10th gen SHORTER SHIFTER WITH KNOB??THE ANSWER IS....... lower

Honda Civic 10th gen SHORTER SHIFTER WITH KNOB??THE ANSWER IS....... typr2

Honda Civic 10th gen SHORTER SHIFTER WITH KNOB??THE ANSWER IS....... type r

chubbz05

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport 6MT, 2010 Honda Odyssey EX
@hfpdohc is that the Type R shift assembly you are talking about? I have a 6MT Sport and have been looking for options. if so, is it a direct fit? Been weighing this, but wasn't sure what the difference was and if it was compatible.

OP
OP
hfpdohc

hfpdohc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hatch 2017 M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
@hfpdohc is that the Type R shift assembly you are talking about? I have a 6MT Sport and have been looking for options. if so, is it a direct fit? Been weighing this, but wasn't sure what the difference was and if it was compatible.
it is just the knob
just twist it until the end and should be close and you can make the holy twisted to lock it tight!
after that just hold the boot down and putt 3-4 roll of electrical tape and put the boot back up

OP
OP
hfpdohc

hfpdohc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hatch 2017 M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
the best mod done for better shifting experience!!!! ;)

xcivicx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 SI coupe in black
Country flag
ok guys here is the deal with the type r shifter ( not knob ).---------- direct replacement, buy the part that's all you need. got one in mine right now. with the standard lx knob it will sit higher, maybe 3/8" higher. throws are still shorter that the lx shifter assy, real close to that of a short throw adapter. lower the knob and it would the same. at 40$ just do it.

have not cut mine shorter yet, just want to make real sure before i do.

OP
OP
hfpdohc

hfpdohc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hatch 2017 M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
the knob is way quicker to change no?

xcivicx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 SI coupe in black
Country flag
the knob is way quicker to change no?
sure is. 5 min vs. an afternoon. and the knob is nice, but for another 40 bucks you'll have a nicer shifter too.
i don't think it will shift like a type r though, as surly the trans has something to do with it also.

chubbz05

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport 6MT, 2010 Honda Odyssey EX
I got a Shift Solutions knob. 630 grams, it's pretty hefty and makes for a great shifting feel. Now just need to get the collar and boot to stay up.

Honda Civic 10th gen SHORTER SHIFTER WITH KNOB??THE ANSWER IS....... 20170927_214043

FKSE7EN

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 HatchBack Sport 6MT
Country flag
I got a Shift Solutions knob. 630 grams, it's pretty hefty and makes for a great shifting feel. Now just need to get the collar and boot to stay up.

20170927_214043.jpg
Electrical tape is your friend, as a temp fix of course.

Last edited:

sw686blue

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT; 2017 Civic LX
Country flag
Hello guys and gals just wanted to share something i ask myself a couple times in the previous models.......
Does a shift knob really help with short trow and SITTING LOWER
and the answer is just YES!!!!!!

i just got the typeR one a couple weeks ago and all i can say is
WOW sits like 1 inch lower easy
and feels amazing!!!!

look for yourself ;)
dont mind the boot there not compatible but i got it fix with elecrtical tape ;)

lower.jpg

typr2.jpg

type r.jpg
Where did you purchase the knob from?

OP
OP
hfpdohc

hfpdohc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hatch 2017 M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
i dont remember but my buddy hook me up on it...it was like 80$ us.

baldheadracing

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FK8
Country flag
For those who want a different fix than electrical tape:

The black Type R base collar works great, but it doesn't thread far enough down the shifter rod for what we want to do in this thread, because the shifter rod only has so many threads cut in it.

Solution: cut more threads. The threads don't have to handle a lot of torque, they just need to be there. I used a rethreading die from Lang tools, but it might be easier for Americans to get just the one rethreading die needed from Snap-On https://store.snapon.com/Rethreadin...tric-Rethreading-Die-Blue-Point--P651937.aspx (Lang only sells sets - I have this set: http://www.langtools.com/sku-2584-15-pc-metric-thread-restorer-set/ but all you need is the M10x1.5 from http://www.langtools.com/sku-2594-5-pc-metric-thread-restorer-die-set/ ) Use a lubricant (I used motor oil) and go slowly.

You can run the die down a couple inches past the original threads until the diameter of the shifter rod increases. It won't look like threads are there - it'll feel like roughness, but there is something there - when you thread the base onto the rod, you will find that you can wind it down so far that you can now thread your shifter knob on until it bottoms out. Then you can align the pattern if you want, and lock the knob using the base collar. Just keep in mind that the new threads are fragile, so use only just enough torque to lock the shift knob in place.
Sponsored

Last edited: