MeanGreenSi

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Si, 2018 Honda Accord Sport
Country flag
Well everyone, I watched some videos and read your posts and emailed PRL and decided to go with a full CAI from prl since they are having a sale and that the Cobra does give you more engine and turbo sound as well improve performance. Wish it came in green to match my other prl hoses but it will be okay.
Sponsored

BL55D

First Name
Lance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic RS
Country flag
The SRI doesn’t really have any benefits aside from sound. The cobra CAI will get you power and colder intake temps with the downside being more prone to hydro lock, and not as easily serviced.
also worried about hydro lock - when it rains, it RAINS- is it true that it only needs small amount of water for my engine to hydrolock? never really looked into CAI might start looking deep into it.

TheKevinlyFather

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si Coupe (Sold), 2020 Acura RDX A-Spec (SH-AWD)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
also worried about hydro lock - when it rains, it RAINS- is it true that it only needs small amount of water for my engine to hydrolock? never really looked into CAI might start looking deep into it.
I've only had one car with a CAI. But, it never hydro-locked. I always wonder if the whole hydro-lock thing is way overblown or if it really is a legitimate concern. Like, if 1,000 people have CAI's on their DD's in a normal climate, how many of them experience hydrolock in 10 years? If it's like 5, that's not a big deal. If it's like 100, that's a bigger issue.

BL55D

First Name
Lance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic RS
Country flag
I've only had one car with a CAI. But, it never hydro-locked. I always wonder if the whole hydro-lock thing is way overblown or if it really is a legitimate concern. Like, if 1,000 people have CAI's on their DD's in a normal climate, how many of them experience hydrolock in 10 years? If it's like 5, that's not a big deal. If it's like 100, that's a bigger issue.
my mate's old man used to run CAI til it hydrolocked. maybe because it's an old car or what- but thats kind of the reason why I want to stay away from it, but then the benefits in terms of performance is better compared to SRI.

TheKevinlyFather

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si Coupe (Sold), 2020 Acura RDX A-Spec (SH-AWD)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
my mate's old man used to run CAI til it hydrolocked. maybe because it's an old car or what- but thats kind of the reason why I want to stay away from it, but then the benefits in terms of performance is better compared to SRI.
Under what conditions did it lock? Was he just driving in the rain? Or was his intake submerged?

BL55D

First Name
Lance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic RS
Country flag
also want to ask- if i do get the PRL short ram intake, is it upgradable to CAI?

OP
OP
MeanGreenSi

MeanGreenSi

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Just placed my order for the Cobra, Eric and Spencer with prl were a big help. it was a tough decision for which SRI, But since I don’t drive that much and try not to drive in the rain a Full CAI is the route I went which made it an easy decision.

WOPSiWOT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Just placed my order for the Cobra, Eric and Spencer with prl were a big help. it was a tough decision for which SRI, But since I don’t drive that much and try not to drive in the rain a Full CAI is the route I went which made it an easy decision.
You’ll feel better when you do install. It’s well shielded. Rain won’t be an issue. I’m more mindful of any standing water, but it’s it.

OP
OP
MeanGreenSi

MeanGreenSi

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
So I’m pretty excited about this intake, been working on cars since 8am, 3 different cars 3 different locations but mine was in my garage at 8:30pm. Took about 1.5 to 2 hours, then had to go for a test ride.

Sounds amazing under boost, nice blow off sound from the bypass valve now. Can be heard with windows up or down. 43 degrees out and with the new intake tires want to spin.

So happy with it, to the point of having inappropriate thoughts about my car

Honda Civic 10th gen Short Ram Prl vs Maperformance 888FDBBC-5FA2-4A3A-A7C9-FCD669625ADC

Honda Civic 10th gen Short Ram Prl vs Maperformance 05489F7A-C318-4844-9DBA-0E013DB8C9E2

Honda Civic 10th gen Short Ram Prl vs Maperformance 2DD7B7B2-908B-4BAB-8A18-B07AB0FA9B74

Honda Civic 10th gen Short Ram Prl vs Maperformance 1B2AD749-6B14-48DE-A438-E5F7A94B2291

Honda Civic 10th gen Short Ram Prl vs Maperformance D5609AE0-6254-4326-9F9E-ECA63F1F3DE4

Honda Civic 10th gen Short Ram Prl vs Maperformance 47312A55-9B84-4575-AA3C-C9398B98F956

Honda Civic 10th gen Short Ram Prl vs Maperformance 567EE485-6F4A-4E93-8100-655E940FEF4B

Zamochy

First Name
Big Bear
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Honda Civic Si
Country flag
People, I wouldn’t worry too much about hydrostatic lock (hydrolock) as a problem with your CAI. It’s a very rare set of circumstances that would have to occur for it to happen. I drove my car into a river with a CAI and all I had to do was pull the spark plugs out, turn the engine over a couple of times, it spit the water out, plugs back in and was back in business.

If you suck a significant amount of water in, your engine is much more likely to stall first before any hydrolock occurs. The sudden change in the A/F mixture will shut the engine off to prevent damage. For hydrolock damage to occur, the engine has to be operating in a high power output. If it’s at idle, low RPM/output there isn’t enough force generally to damage rods, it will just stall. If all your doing is sucking up small amounts of water, they will just be spit out on exhaust stroke. The cylinder needs to be filled with more volume of water than exists when the piston is at the top of the compression stroke, on the intake stroke, then attempted to be compressed (while full) under high power conditions for damage to occur. That’s a VERY unlikely scenario, and will actually be very difficult to create in real life.

Only thing you should worry about is driving into deep standing water (or lake or river), and stalling the engine. Though with our 4-cylinders it’s a super easy fix of just pulling plugs out, turning engine over, spitting the water out, sticking plugs back in, and you’re good to go.
Sponsored