MeanGreenSi

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Si, 2018 Honda Accord Sport
Country flag
I’m thinking of upgrading my stage 1 to a short ram intake. Who has had experience with these 2 and what kind of experience did you have? Not tuned either, I don’t think they require tunes but do they cause a CEL with out one?
Sponsored

WOPSiWOT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
The PRL is PRL quality. I’ve also had nothing but good experiences with MAP, but have never used their intake. With the PRL the blow off sounds are pronounced. If that is what you are after then that is the best way to get it. Intake temps were basically indistinguishable from stock (though that can get pretty hot). If you sat idling for any period of time then they do spike noticeably. Comes down quickly when moving. I’d say the best thing about the PRL is that you can buy the Cobra conversion kit if you decide you want. That makes a big difference. With the PRL, at least, the fuel trims are dead on.

tehSteve

GrayBeard McGootch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Si
Country flag
As long as you stick with the STREET from PRL you will not need a tune.

I'm sure the MAP one is great too,
but I would be a little concerned stainless steel getting warm and contributing to the overall down-fall of having a "hot air intake".

On a side-note, I like how MAPs intake sits halfway in the engine bay.

Theoretically speaking, I think the MAP short air would have an advantage over PRL short air due to the filter location.
However, once again, the stainless steel of MAP though.....

Zcfc3dc5

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 civic si, 2002 Acura rsx type s, 2011 Nissan Titan
Country flag
Prl and map are both very reputable companies. I’ve had experience with both over the past years and both have had very high quality. I don’t think you can go wrong either way.

ebatr24

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Type R, 2018 Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
I had the MAP intake and I now have a PRL Cobra. I had to wrap the MAP intake with some heat reflective tape to really get decent temps out of it, it does retain heat a little more than the PRL would due to the stainless piping being used but other then that it sounded great and when it was cool outside it performed quite well. This was before I got a front mount intercooler which I believe does more for your temps than any intake will.

zhendexing

First Name
Dee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 civic si coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I have the map intake with ceramic coating. The maf sensor location is about an inch closer to the turbo than stock, so you have to remove the elbow plastic pieces on the cable so the cable can reach to the maf sensor. Also, you have to remove the lower resonator box. (I’m sure with prl sri you don’t have to.) The blow off sound is great with Map intake. They also send you a tune for the intake. However, I ended up not using their tune because the stft and ltft isn’t where I want them to be so I adjusted the maf scaling. (Stft and ltft probably within stock range, Matching the prl’s data on the stock intake and their intake, about -15% to 8% stft and -4% ltft.)

WOPSiWOT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Just saw this, I really want some more noise, don’t mind paying for the cobra.
The Cobra CAI is the way to go for performance. The sound is significantly reduced compared to the SRI though. Just FYI. Check MAP when you order also. PRL says sale includes participating vendors. I bet that includes MAP. You can get free shipping that way. Plus you combine the two companies with which the thread started.

BL55D

First Name
Lance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic RS
Country flag
this is gonna be a nooby question- I recently copped a 1.5 turbo hatch, I want to upgrade my air intake ( mostly for the sound ) but also having an upgraded intake has its benefits too ( rather than getting a BOV sound plate ) anyway. i just want to ask what's the difference between a Short Ram Intake and the Cobra CAI. ive been going back and forth with those two, i just dont know which one is good in terms of performance and also making my car feel less sluggish during summer.. ( it's summer here in NZ )

tsmoove

First Name
TJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic SI
Country flag
this is gonna be a nooby question- I recently copped a 1.5 turbo hatch, I want to upgrade my air intake ( mostly for the sound ) but also having an upgraded intake has its benefits too ( rather than getting a BOV sound plate ) anyway. i just want to ask what's the difference between a Short Ram Intake and the Cobra CAI. ive been going back and forth with those two, i just dont know which one is good in terms of performance and also making my car feel less sluggish during summer.. ( it's summer here in NZ )
Get an SRI if your main focus is sound. Otherwise you can't really go wrong with a CAI, you can still hear the sound. CAI should pull in lower temps than a SRI since it sits lower and further from the engine, which should be better in performance, also better in hotter temps. The main difference between the 2 is the filter of the CAI sits behind the bottom right side of the bumper when looking down the engine and the SRI filter usually sits at the location where the top stock intake is.

BL55D

First Name
Lance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic RS
Country flag
Get an SRI if your main focus is sound. Otherwise you can't really go wrong with a CAI, you can still hear the sound. CAI should pull in lower temps than a SRI since it sits lower and further from the engine, which should be better in performance, also better in hotter temps. The main difference between the 2 is the filter of the CAI sits behind the bottom right side of the bumper when looking down the engine and the SRI filter usually sits at the location where the top stock intake is.
$200 difference- does both have the same benefits? im thinking of getting the SRI because it's easy to install and take off whenever i go for service. i know the CAI is more prone to hydrolock - is there any other downside of it?

EastBayCivic

First Name
DerekZoolander
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Touring
Country flag
The PRL is PRL quality. I’ve also had nothing but good experiences with MAP, but have never used their intake. With the PRL the blow off sounds are pronounced. If that is what you are after then that is the best way to get it. Intake temps were basically indistinguishable from stock (though that can get pretty hot). If you sat idling for any period of time then they do spike noticeably. Comes down quickly when moving. I’d say the best thing about the PRL is that you can buy the Cobra conversion kit if you decide you want. That makes a big difference. With the PRL, at least, the fuel trims are dead on.

I'm glad to hear the intake temps are the same as stock.

I have a stage 1 right now but I notice it still can get pretty damn hot! Today's commute I was 30f-40f over ambient and it's mostly freeway driving. When I got home I idled for a little and saw it get as high as 54f over.

2tone

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic si. 2006 bmw 325i
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
$200 difference- does both have the same benefits? im thinking of getting the SRI because it's easy to install and take off whenever i go for service. i know the CAI is more prone to hydrolock - is there any other downside of it?
The SRI doesn’t really have any benefits aside from sound. The cobra CAI will get you power and colder intake temps with the downside being more prone to hydro lock, and not as easily serviced.

WOPSiWOT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I'm glad to hear the intake temps are the same as stock.

I have a stage 1 right now but I notice it still can get pretty damn hot! Today's commute I was 30f-40f over ambient and it's mostly freeway driving. When I got home I idled for a little and saw it get as high as 54f over.
Yup, the stock setup gets pretty hot at IAT1. It is as much a “warm air intake” as a short ram, minus the sound. The CAI is waaaay better at controlling intake temps. Post-IC temps (the ones that matter) are pretty similar with either setup though so how much that all matters is maybe less than it would appear. If you were really going to push the car for any extended period you’d really want to upgrade the IC.
Sponsored