Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic si sedan, 2001 Nissan Frontier
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
What type of intake do you currently run? What I've gotten from my research is that an intake will only add a tiny difference in sound and barely anything in performance. My main worry is that the engine gets way too hot with an SRI considering that I live in South FL.
https://www.civicx.com/threads/bms-intake.38171/

With any intake, if you choose to install one, you should have a way to monitor your fuel trims. Even brands people swear by have experienced the odd issue with a user or two.

The most trouble free route is probably going to be a tube and drop in filter with the stock box
Sponsored

Neps18Si

First Name
P-Low
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si sedan (sold), 2019 Civic Sport Hatch CVT
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
What type of intake do you currently run? What I've gotten from my research is that an intake will only add a tiny difference in sound and barely anything in performance. My main worry is that the engine gets way too hot with an SRI considering that I live in South FL.
Either get the PRL or the 27won. There is a whatsapp group of south florida 10gen civic owners that BS all day about these cars. You can get answers and meet people there with things done on their cars. You can message me your number and I can add ya.

OP
OP
jaybuckets

jaybuckets

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
https://www.civicx.com/threads/bms-intake.38171/

With any intake, if you choose to install one, you should have a way to monitor your fuel trims. Even brands people swear by have experienced the odd issue with a user or two.

The most trouble free route is probably going to be a tube and drop in filter with the stock box
Well first off big props on that analysis, you just helped me make my decision. I think I'll probably just get a PRL stage 1 for now and see where that takes me, won't be messing with my engine too much and I'll get that urge to mod my engine out my system lol

OP
OP
jaybuckets

jaybuckets

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Either get the PRL or the 27won. There is a whatsapp group of south florida 10gen civic owners that BS all day about these cars. You can get answers and meet people there with things done on their cars. You can message me your number and I can add ya.
Yeah I'll def send you my number, I've been meaning to get involved in the 10th gen community down here since I know it's relatively big

Micah

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Si 4DR FlashPro +9psi (3k-14k) Ktuner TSP Stage 1(14k-30k+) '17 Traverse LT AWD
Country flag

OP
OP
jaybuckets

jaybuckets

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Close but I run a dry filter not an oiled filter. So far as noise, there is a tiny huff or puff noise that can be heard occasionally. It's very easy to remove and replace the stock corrugated plastic hose.
So you just replaced the OEM hose and filter instead of getting an entirely new intake?

86salmon

It's Hedley, Hedley Lamarr!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic si sedan, 2001 Nissan Frontier
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
So you just replaced the OEM hose and filter instead of getting an entirely new intake?
That's all PRL stage one is
  • Oiled washable filter
  • silicone air intake tube

Micah

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Si 4DR FlashPro +9psi (3k-14k) Ktuner TSP Stage 1(14k-30k+) '17 Traverse LT AWD
Country flag
Yes. A friend upgraded from a Si to a CTR he sold me his intake and filters for $40.

gatorcivic

First Name
Jordan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Hatchback Sport 6MT
Country flag
I have the PRL short ram intake and was also initally concerned about the intake temps while living in Florida. If you are sitting in traffic and not moving at all the intake will get very hot, but this is also true of the stock intake. Once you get moving about 15 mph IAT temps come down and intake temps are about the same as with the stock exhaust. As far as noise the PRL SRI is way louder than stock, makes a really nice whooshing sound when hard on the throttle. Did it give me any performance gains? Maybe a tiny bit. Does it make an awesome sound? Yes. If you want it for the sound then buy it. If you want it for performance gains then it is not worth it at all. If you want it for performance KTuner is a 100x better value for hp/dollar.

JJJ

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic EX Hatchback
Country flag
I have the PRL short ram intake and was also initally concerned about the intake temps while living in Florida. If you are sitting in traffic and not moving at all the intake will get very hot, but this is also true of the stock intake. Once you get moving about 15 mph IAT temps come down and intake temps are about the same as with the stock exhaust. As far as noise the PRL SRI is way louder than stock, makes a really nice whooshing sound when hard on the throttle. Did it give me any performance gains? Maybe a tiny bit. Does it make an awesome sound? Yes. If you want it for the sound then buy it. If you want it for performance gains then it is not worth it at all. If you want it for performance KTuner is a 100x better value for hp/dollar.
What made you go SRI over CAI?

gatorcivic

First Name
Jordan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
What made you go SRI over CAI?
Price, Sound, hydro-lock, installation.

Price- CAI was $80 more. Slight advantage for SRI.
Sound- From what I read/heard from others SRI gives you more of the whoosh noise. The main reason I think is because the intake is right there in the engine bay, not buried in the corner of the fender. Noise is pretty much the reason I got an intake in the first place. Medium advantage SRI
Hydro-Lock- I know its a super super super tiny chance of water getting in the intake, especially with a splash guard. But living in Florida there are times when you drive through some standing water (nothing crazy but maybe 3"-4" at the corner of an intersection where it doesnt drain well). If I had a CAI I would think about this every time I drove through a puddle, not a huge deal but the .00001% something could happen would keep it on my mind. With a SRI never even think about it, I speed up to make a bigger splash :D. Slight advantage SRI
Installation- SRI is a much easier install. Not that a CAI is too difficult, but you need to remove the plastic cover under the front of the car and get access from the bottom, as well as completely removing the stock intake. SRI took me about 5 min to install, my guess is that the CAI would have taken me over an hour. Not a huge deal if you think about it in the long run, but slight edge for SRI.
Intake temps- CAI is obviously better here. However I will note I have thoroughly tried to research on the internet about intake temps and how much of a power differece it makes. Based on the physic air density decreases about 2% per 10 degrees C increase. However how does this factor in with things like the turbo and the IC? I have not seen anything definitive that says a 10 degrees C increase in a turbo charged vehicle will decrease HP by 5%. Also the hot only truly make a difference unless at full throttle, if the hot intake air is making you lose power just add a little more throttle :) Overall though colder air is always better than hotter air, so slight edge CAI

So overall if you tally up everything the SRI is the intake for me. Depending on what you value you might choose different. Hope your future intake turns out well!

Last edited:

JJJ

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic EX Hatchback
Country flag
Price, Sound, hydro-lock, installation.
Price- CAI was $80 more. Slight advantage for SRI.
Sound- From what I read/heard from others SRI gives you more of the whoosh noise. The main reason I think is because the intake is right there in the engine bay, not buried in the corner of the fender. Noise is pretty much the reason I got an intake in the first place. Medium advantage SRI
Hydro-Lock- I know its a super super super tiny chance of water getting in the intake, especially with a splash guard. But living in Florida there are times when you drive through some standing water (nothing crazy but maybe 3"-4" at the corner of an intersection where it doesnt drain well). If I had a CAI I would think about this every time I drove through a puddle, not a huge deal but the .00001% something could happen would keep it on my mind. With a SRI never even think about it, I speed up to make a bigger splash :D. Slight advantage SRI
Installation- SRI is a much easier install. Not that a CAI is too difficult, but you need to remove the plastic cover under the front of the car and get access from the bottom, as well as completely removing the stock intake. SRI took me about 5 min to install, my guess is that the CAI would have taken me over an hour. Not a huge deal if you think about it in the long run, but slight edge for SRI.
Intake temps- CAI is obviously better here. However I will note I have thoroughly tried to research on the internet about intake temps and how much of a power differece it makes. Based on the physic air density decreases about 2% per 10 degrees C increase. However how does this factor in with things like the turbo and the IC? I have not seen anything definitive that says a 10 degrees C increase in a turbo charged vehicle will decrease HP by 5%. Also the hot only truly make a difference unless at full throttle, if the hot intake air is making you lose power just add a little more throttle :) Overall though colder air is always better than hotter air, so slight edge CAI

So overall if you tally up everything the SRI is the intake for me. Depending on what you value you might choose different. Hope your future intake turns out well!
With having an EX and as a result stock exhaust... increased noise from the engine is my number one goal.

I'm not in it for performance at all.

gatorcivic

First Name
Jordan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
With having an EX and as a result stock exhaust... increased noise from the engine is my number one goal.

I'm not in it for performance at all.
Sounds like the SRI is exactly what you need :thumbsup:

Reactions: JJJ

javi7t8

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
78 Trans Am, 2019 Sport Hatchback LSM
Country flag
Drop in a K&N and call it a day.
does this help any?

i live in an area that, as of the last couple of years tend to flood every later spring/early summer. A CAI is better, but not if its going to be a risk when it floods.

COOL COUPE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic SI coupe (red) Skunk 2 shift knob BOV Spacer Plate (red) K&N Panel Filter Dual Muffler Delete
Country flag
I said I never would but did ... I Installed the K&N panel filter and called it a day. It's more for increased acceleration performance than for raw HP or gas savings for sure. Does it make a difference? Yes ... For sure. I like the mod. It's louder than stock ... So it makes a bit of noise ... I see the tack as more free flowing ... Thumbs up and done.
Sponsored