Roykirk

First Name
Jackson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Sedan Touring
Country flag
One small thing that's major to some is the fact that the 2019 and 2020 have a physical volume knob, as well as physical fan controls for heat/AC. 2016-2018 have neither of these, which many find inconvenient.
Last year I went in looking for a 2017-2018 used Touring sedan, and came home with a new 2019. The physical controls on the head unit were part of the reason, as was the paddle shifters. Convenience and features are always a big plus for me.

dgordon7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic LX - 6MT
Country flag
If buying used, avoid any car that has had any performance or electrical mods. Especially if they have a CVT.
They always seem to cause problems down the road and the drivers of these cars are harder on them.

Get the car analyzed at a Honda dealership to see if there has been any "reflash/tune" done to it and make sure that there is no exhaust/intake mods. Very often owners "flash back" to stock and replace exhaust/intake mods with stock parts to hide the damage that they have done.

The 2016 to 2018 Civics have flawed air conditioning systems that leak coolant and are very expensive to repair.
The infotainment system and the electronic safety features (like collision avoidance and lane keep assist) are clunky on all years.

I recommend that you buy new to avoid most problems.
Not sure if this applies stateside or not, I am sure it does as it was rolled out in the Great White North. Honda has provided a 10 year warranty extension on the air conditioning issue. I like some others also went purposely for a 2.0 LX for its simplicity, and I couldn't get a sedan model with a manual without going quite a bit higher in trim. Mine's an 18 and I enjoy it. :) Good luck in your choice!

kwk1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Civic LX Sedan CVT white
Country flag
One small thing that's major to some is the fact that the 2019 and 2020 have a physical volume knob, as well as physical fan controls for heat/AC. 2016-2018 have neither of these, which many find inconvenient.
Not sure if it's trim dependant but my 17 LX has a physical dial for the fan speed.

justasimpleman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘20 PWP FC1 Si
Country flag
Went to look for/buy a used with low mileage civic this past weekend, prices are really not too far off from new to used. Not sure how it is in your area, but shop around... probably find the same as I did. I went with new.

you can also ask dealerships if they have brand new ‘19s still in stock.

justasimpleman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘20 PWP FC1 Si
Country flag
I like the presence of the physical knobs, but I think I use the steering wheel controls 99.9% of the time. I think I might have spun the volume knob maybe once or twice.
Test drove an ‘18 yesterday, and hated the no volume knob. Not sure I could get used to that.

Mae22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Hatch Sport Touring Aegean Blue Metallic
Country flag
Not sure if it's trim dependant but my 17 LX has a physical dial for the fan speed.
Yep, it is trim dependent. The LX has a different infotainment system and the heat/AC controls aren't part of that, they are manual.

kwk1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Civic LX Sedan CVT white
Country flag
Yep, it is trim dependent. The LX has a different infotainment system and the heat/AC controls aren't part of that, they are manual.
Actually, I'm in Canada and the LX here has the upgraded infotainment/hvac system. My car has auto climate control and a manual knob for the fan besides the fan control on the touch screen.

Mae22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Hatch Sport Touring Aegean Blue Metallic
Country flag
Actually, I'm in Canada and the LX here has the upgraded infotainment/hvac system. My car has auto climate control and a manual knob for the fan besides the fan control on the touch screen.
Yep, I was assuming a US car, but definitely other regions have different standard equipment.
Sponsored