◢◤
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Hatchback Sport
Country flag
Hello all! I've recently had an oil change and when the tech was finished, he showed me that my tires had horrible bumps and ridges on the inside of the tire, towards the car. All of the tires have those issues and it's not worse in the front or the back, just different on all tires. I've eliminated the cause due to an alignment issue (please correct me if I'm incorrect). The tech said it was due to something either wrong with my shocks or that they're too stiff. Now, this is what the tech said, so I'm not sure if this is 100% or there are other factors. I would assume that they're too stiff, causing them to have not enough damping. This is just my guess, which I could be wrong. What do you think may have cause the bumps and ridges on my tires? Thank you for your input!
Sponsored

civicdriver_

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Honda Civic LX Sedan NA 2.0 L CVT
Country flag
Hello all! I've recently had an oil change and when the tech was finished, he showed me that my tires had horrible bumps and ridges on the inside of the tire, towards the car. All of the tires have those issues and it's not worse in the front or the back, just different on all tires. I've eliminated the cause due to an alignment issue (please correct me if I'm incorrect). The tech said it was due to something either wrong with my shocks or that they're too stiff. Now, this is what the tech said, so I'm not sure if this is 100% or there are other factors. I would assume that they're too stiff, causing them to have not enough damping. This is just my guess, which I could be wrong. What do you think may have cause the bumps and ridges on my tires? Thank you for your input!
What's the mileage of your car and have you ever had your tires rotated? I'm always cynical of dealerships trying to sell services not necessarily needed in order to make extra money, especially in NC where doc fees are always around $900. It sounds a little strange that there's a problem with your Civic's shocks if it's under 50k miles in my opinion unless you drive like a maniac, or hit a bunch of curbs and potholes.

Are you still under warranty? If you are able to, post some pictures and give as much info as you can such as any events you think could be related to this situation or driving habits leading up unto this point. I'm no expert, the tech could be honest but it doesn't hurt to get other opinions from the more knowledgeable users on here. Give as much info as you can and post pics if you're able to so that they can more accurately assess your situation.

OP
OP
ultraviolence

ultraviolence

◢◤
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
What's the mileage of your car and have you ever had your tires rotated? I'm always cynical of dealerships trying to sell services not necessarily needed in order to make extra money, especially in NC where doc fees are always around $900. It sounds a little strange that there's a problem with your Civic's shocks if it's under 50k miles in my opinion unless you drive like a maniac, or hit a bunch of curbs and potholes.

Are you still under warranty? If you are able to, post some pictures and give as much info as you can such as any events you think could be related to this situation or driving habits leading up unto this point. I'm no expert, the tech could be honest but it doesn't hurt to get other opinions from the more knowledgeable users on here. Give as much info as you can and post pics if you're able to so that they can more accurately assess your situation.
My mileage is at 69k, I did a rotation at 65k and an alignment at around 40k. I drive normally, but some of the bridges around here have severe difference in height with the road. It feels like the car is smashing into the bridges. We don't have much potholes and I've never hit a curb. I'm not under warranty. I feel like it's an issue with both the horrible bridges around where I drive and the fact that the shocks are way too stiff in my opinion. I can tell that there's little or no travel, I've noticed this at highway speeds and speed bumps.

latole

Civic Lx 2018 Manual , Civic LX 2016 Manual
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
" I did a rotation at 65k "

Very very late, I do at each 12K.
You need alignment at 40 K ?
I never need alignment on any of my previous cars, many with more than 175 K
And road, here are very bad.

OP
OP
ultraviolence

ultraviolence

◢◤
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
" I did a rotation at 65k "

Very very late, I do at each 12K.
You need alignment at 40 K ?
I never need alignment on any of my previous cars, many with more than 175 K
And road, here are very bad.
I'm sorry, is there an issue with what I said? When I went in for an oil change, they rotated my tires for free. My tread wear wasn't low or getting low whatsoever, so I didn't see any benefits getting it done before that. Just because you don't need to align your previous or vehicle doesn't mean that other vehicles don't need it, so not sure why you even implied that. Plus, not all vehicles came from the factory the same, mine came with very different settings from my other friends who bought Hatchback sports around the same time as I did. Anyways, I'm getting the vehicle checked out, so hopefully it's not a shock issue. If so, I'll probably get it fixed and trade the car in. Haven't had the best of luck with this car...

Last edited:
OP
OP
ultraviolence

ultraviolence

◢◤
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I'm sorry, is there an issue with what I said? When I went in for an oil change, they rotated my tires for free. My tread wear wasn't low or getting low whatsoever, so I didn't see any benefits getting it done before that. It wasn't my first alignment either, I've been getting them rotated every other oil change. Just because you don't need to align your previous or vehicle doesn't mean that other vehicles don't need it, so not sure why you even implied that. Plus, not all vehicles came from the factory the same, mine came with very different settings from my other friends who bought Hatchback sports around the same time as I did. Anyways, I'm getting the vehicle checked out, so hopefully it's not a shock issue. If so, I'll probably get it fixed and trade the car in. Haven't had the best of luck with this car...

latole

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I'm sorry, is there an issue with what I said? When I went in for an oil change, they rotated my tires for free. My tread wear wasn't low or getting low whatsoever, so I didn't see any benefits getting it done before that. Just because you don't need to align your previous or vehicle doesn't mean that other vehicles don't need it, so not sure why you even implied that. Plus, not all vehicles came from the factory the same, mine came with very different settings from my other friends who bought Hatchback sports around the same time as I did. Anyways, I'm getting the vehicle checked out, so hopefully it's not a shock issue. If so, I'll probably get it fixed and trade the car in. Haven't had the best of luck with this car...

I understand tire were rotated fist time at 65K

OP
OP
ultraviolence

ultraviolence

◢◤
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
They were rotated every other oil change*

calonzo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Country flag
Anyways, I'm getting the vehicle checked out, so hopefully it's not a shock issue. If so, I'll probably get it fixed and trade the car in. Haven't had the best of luck with this car...
Sorry to hear that. What other issues have you had?

Please let us know what your mechanic says about the shocks and tires.
Sponsored