Shock/strut suggestions

BigRedtheGinger

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Honda Civic Sport 6MT, 1988 Honda CRX SI, 1997 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 5.2 V8
Country flag
I'm planning on getting an Eibach ProKit for my 20 Sport sedan, and I wanted to get different struts for it while I'm there. The car isn't a daily anymore, since my company provides me a work truck. That is nice to have, seeing as how I got my Civic in January 2020, and it has over 37,000 miles already. It only had 4 miles on it before I test drove it. It's not going to be a track weapon, just a little more fun in the corners and better looks(in my opinion). I'm not really interested in coil overs. What would you guys recommend for upgrading the struts and shocks? For what it's worth, I'm probably going to get camber and toe arms/links eventually. Not as critical right now since it's only driven on the weekends.
Sponsored

bbeem

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 si sedan, FZ1, CR450R, Shadow 750
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I'm planning on getting an Eibach ProKit for my 20 Sport sedan, and I wanted to get different struts for it while I'm there. The car isn't a daily anymore, since my company provides me a work truck. That is nice to have, seeing as how I got my Civic in January 2020, and it has over 37,000 miles already. It only had 4 miles on it before I test drove it. It's not going to be a track weapon, just a little more fun in the corners and better looks(in my opinion). I'm not really interested in coil overs. What would you guys recommend for upgrading the struts and shocks? For what it's worth, I'm probably going to get camber and toe arms/links eventually. Not as critical right now since it's only driven on the weekends.
I currently have eibach pro kit for 8 months and am very dissatisfied. I would recommend going with a different manufacture. If you're going to do struts at the same time or shortly after, coilovers with cancelers might be the better route. I do wonder what struts people use with lowering springs down the road when they wear out though.

OP
OP
BigRedtheGinger

BigRedtheGinger

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Honda Civic Sport 6MT, 1988 Honda CRX SI, 1997 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 5.2 V8
Country flag
I currently have eibach pro kit for 8 months and am very dissatisfied. I would recommend going with a different manufacture. If you're going to do struts at the same time or shortly after, coilovers with cancelers might be the better route. I do wonder what struts people use with lowering springs down the road when they wear out though.
What makes you dissatisfied with it? Is it the 1" drop or the 2"?

bbeem

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
The prokit is like 1” front 1.2” rear? The 1" drop looks decent with still keeping keeping dailibility. I paired with eibach front and rear sway bars. I was satisfied with the look and ride quality untill the last month the rear passenger side is sagging a whole 1/2” more than driver side. Upon inspection the spring looks buckled. This is the spring that has always squeaked too, causing me to always spray wd-40 on it. If that isn't enough to steer you away I got a hold eibach and after I paid them full retail $160 for a new rear pair they would not ship untill I provided proof of original purchase. They said they were in stock but it would be a few weeks to ship because their warehouse is backed up. They said when they get my springs back they will test and refund my $160 if they're bad. Now some weeks have gone by just waiting and I get an email from eibach saying "hey what's your issue again? I talk to a lot of people and lost my notes and was checking if you still have a problem":mad:

bluehatch17

First Name
bluehatch17
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 sport touring hatchback. 2019 Coupe sport.
Country flag
So I have a few products from eibach and can attest to crap customer service. I in fact just brought a new part from them within the last 3 weeks also. So I still support the brand.

But…There are at least 6 threads on eibach spring noise on this forum. I don’t/didn’t have issue with their sway bar (on multiple cars), so I don’t doubt the company makes good parts. The spring for the 10th gen civic just probably isn’t one of the good products. And if I was going lower, I would not get the eibach springs.

If you are getting struts too, tein coilovers are under $800.

Even the factory struts from like KYB Or blistein are back ordered a lot of times.

OP
OP
BigRedtheGinger

BigRedtheGinger

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Yeah, crap customer service can really kill a product/company. I live in Moreno Valley, CA, about 25 miles or so from Corona, CA where Eibach is at, so worst case scenario, I drive to them and show them first hand what's going on.

As far as the cost goes, depending on the exact cost of the Tein coilovers, I'd be missing out of the sway bars, so that another $250-350 I'd be spending for those, which would put the overall cost higher. Tire Rack has the Pro Plus and Sport Plus kits for $502+tax, down from $558+tax everywhere else. I started looking at the noise complaints, trying to see which one has fewer noise complaints. I have seen some kits from Whiteline, but those are over $100 more than the Eibach kits. ProCivic has a full set of TruHart shocks/struts for $255 and a discount of $20 on their website. Though, I'm not sure how good TruHart products are.

To correct myself regarding the drop, the Sportline/Sport Plus is a 1/1.3" drop, and Proline/Pro Plus is a 0.7/1.0" drop. Also, I meant to say Pro Plus in my original post instead of Prokit, since the plus includes sway bars.

bbeem

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Id go Whiteline for $100 more. I also have eibach front and rear sway bars with accord end links. If I did it again, I'd go Whiteline. From the start my eibach spring was squeaking and 8 months later it's buckled and sagging.

Dirt

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport 6-Spd Manual
There are no shocks/struts that you can buy that will work with lowering springs efficiently. They will deteriorate faster and you will have to buy another OEM, Bilstein or KYB set that were only meant for stock ride height.

Bilstein has a B8’s strut meant for lowering springs but have not yet made it for our platform. If you only want lowering springs be ready to buy another shock/strut in a year. Your options are to wait for someone to make a compatible shock that works together with a lowering spring or buy coilovers. That or just use lowering springs until your shocks are gone.

I ended up buying coilovers because of this fact. Just know if you buy lowering springs you’re going to replace the shocks faster again and again. Might take a year or less but it’s gonna happen.
Sponsored