Shifting with rev hang

JNRS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
^ Thanks. I'll test out a clutch-dump sometime this morning and feel out the effects, but yeah I don't really want to play too fast-and-loose with this car right now either. It's brand new and I want a decade out of this thing at least!

So, it's all in my head then? I can drive like I had driven my other manual for 14 years?

I don't think so. I drive that way and I'll herk-and-jerk every shift. The revs don't get down fast enough and to compensate it will have effects to my driving, perhaps even to the drivetrain.
The best way I found is to slip the clutch at a moderate rate and have the transmission bring down the engine rpm. Yes, this will wear down the clutch, but it is a consumable part and you will eventually have to change it. As long as your not banging gears all the time and launching the car, I think you will be fine. I also recommend rev matching downshifts to avoid extra wear on the clutch.
Sponsored

OP
OP
MuffinMcFluffin

MuffinMcFluffin

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1999 Honda Civic EX, 2019 Honda Civic Si
Country flag
The best way I found is to slip the clutch at a moderate rate and have the transmission bring down the engine rpm. Yes, this will wear down the clutch, but it is a consumable part and you will eventually have to change it. As long as your not banging gears all the time and launching the car, I think you will be fine. I also recommend rev matching downshifts to avoid extra wear on the clutch.
Thanks. My driving habit of the past fourteen years has generally consisted of "catching" between upshifts like I would accelerating from a stop, though I do it fast enough that it's not a painstaking process. I fear doing that now will just cause herks & jerks unless I let the revs fully drop down first before applying any gas whatsoever.

And yeah, I think I do plan on changing out the clutch if I end up getting a tune next year, but I'll definitely have to do my research on that as well.

I guess my driving tests later will confirm these notions and whether or not they'll be able to combat the awful rev hang.

amirza786

First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Polestar 2, 2010 Lexus IS 350 Sport
Country flag
So what is the idea behind how to shift when the revs hang? Is it just an annoyance of sound, or do you have to pause for a moment before putting your foot on the clutch pedal... or do you have to do the whole shifting process more slowly?

I guess I just don't know what it means to have rev hang and how I am supposed to go about shifting with it. Over time I will likely disable it with a KTuner, but until then I'm curious what the go-to way is to shift until then.

I just don't know if I like the idea of having a moment where I'm in gear ready to shift and then fall off the gas pedal completely while the engine brake resists me before I push in the clutch. I suppose if I stay in low RPM's then that won't be an issue, but I'm not quite sure what the overarching goal is when having rev hang and needing to manually shift.

Thanks for any who can help. By the way I don't have this car yet, but upon test-driving it twice, watching YouTubers and listening to everybody here, I thought I'd give this question a whirl before I'm an official owner of one.
Just shift normally, it is only a sound annoyance, it does not affect anything including performance

JNRS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
Just shift normally, it is only a sound annoyance, it does not affect anything including performance
You cannot shift normally or you will be riding a mechanical bull.

Lukifer

First Name
Luke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Si
Country flag
All that being said, tuners would normally disable rev hang anyway so it technically shouldn't be an issue for them, yes?
Right, that's what I'm saying.. they tune it out because it's an issue and they don't like it. For a person like me, who has never had a "tuner" car, I don't even notice the rev hang or would have known it was a thing without reading all the complaints about it.

Are you still running stock? I'll have to check this again (yet still, someone is saying it induces shock to the system, unless that's only with the CDV removed).
Yeah I'm completely stock. I've leased my car so I can't mod it. Although, IF i could, I would, and I would learn how to do all this cool stuff people do. But for my dd, I think it's great as it is and don't have any trouble driving it smooth.

amirza786

First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
You cannot shift normally or you will be riding a mechanical bull.
Unless I am completely pounding the accelerator and taking it to above 5K rpms, it doesn't really cause any jerkiness for me, just a slight annoyance

OP
OP
MuffinMcFluffin

MuffinMcFluffin

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1999 Honda Civic EX, 2019 Honda Civic Si
Country flag
Unless I am completely pounding the accelerator and taking it to above 5K rpms, it doesn't really cause any jerkiness for me, just a slight annoyance
Should I be nice to the car when breaking it in, though? I'm only at 300 miles driven.

I realize that the car is "meant to be driven normally" in that I'm probably doing no harm, but in terms of babying it is the transmission nicer to me if I go smoother with it for a while to start out?

amirza786

First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Should I be nice to the car when breaking it in, though? I'm only at 300 miles driven.

I realize that the car is "meant to be driven normally" in that I'm probably doing no harm, but in terms of babying it is the transmission nicer to me if I go smoother with it for a while to start out?
You should definitely break the engine in before going to hard on it. Everything will loosen up as you break it in. I would probably stay within the 3000 rpm range when shifting

REBELXSi

Señor Member
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Si coupe RIP, '20 CRV EX-L Hybrid
Country flag
No, its there... enough people have confirmed that. But I never would have noticed it if people weren't making such a fuss about it. It's only a problem for the tuners / modders who want the car to be better than it is.

I have zero problems driving this car fast, quick shifting, barking the tires into second gear and staying in the power band without jerking it all over the place.
Exactly. My car drives fine whether I'm going for fuel efficiency or ragging on it like a mad man. I find shifting this car (at least mine) effortless. I even rev match downshift with no issues. Guess mine is special.

themaincop

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si Sedan (SOLD), 2021 GTI Autobahn
Country flag
I find the downshifting is smoother than shifting up. After a year of owning this car I'm pretty used to it though, I tend to just baby the clutch on 1-2 and a bit on 2-3. Usually 3-4, 4-5, and 5-6 I'm just cruising and the upshifts are smooth. 1-2 took me a couple months to master, but I was also a pretty new manual driver at that point. I don't think I've ever driven a manual without rev hang, just this car and my wife's old '08 EX.

etcsthorne

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
Totally agree the rev hang is absolute crap. I've been driving manuals since the 70's and I won't get used to this. It's not just at higher RPMs.....it's everywhere in the range of the engine while it's running. Very disappointed. What engineer on this planet could think this is acceptable operation? Make sure Honda knows this is BS. I certainly will. I'll spend the money to get a tune I guess.

captlwr

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Hatchback Sport Manual
Country flag
Totally agree the rev hang is absolute crap. I've been driving manuals since the 70's and I won't get used to this. It's not just at higher RPMs.....it's everywhere in the range of the engine while it's running. Very disappointed. What engineer on this planet could think this is acceptable operation? Make sure Honda knows this is BS. I certainly will. I'll spend the money to get a tune I guess.
Agree completely - and it's not just "hang" - it's OVER-run...............I tried and tried to force "logic" on Honda Engineers - they will NOT listen - and a "tune" will only get rid of it for a few months until the ECU RE-learns it's base tune and then you have to start all over again - I gave up after 2 Civics with 6-speeds and got a 2019 Acura ILX A-Spec with an 8-Speed Dual-Clutch auto.........it's a hopeless quest..........wishing you all LUCK

Hoang_Honda

First Name
Hoang
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 Accord V6 Touring. 17 Civic Si Coupe.
Country flag
The rev hang on 9th gen is even worse. Its not Honda fault to make rev hang because its strictly emission. Hence most cars are now have DI engine...

captlwr

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Hatchback Sport Manual
Country flag
The rev hang on 9th gen is even worse. Its not Honda fault to make rev hang because its strictly emission. Hence most cars are now have DI engine...
Honda is WAY WORSE as it doesn't HANG it OVER-runs by at last 500 RPM

altaïr

"Nothing is true. Everything is permitted."
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic SI Coupe
Country flag
Double-clutching from 1st-2nd and 2nd-3rd helps me live with it :dunno:
Sponsored