Shifting when driving WOT

polished1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
nothing
Country flag
Looking for some tips when shifting from 1st to 2nd like you're trying to get a sweet 0-57 time. When I shift quickly and release the clutch quickly without any gas the car jerks pretty good. If I accelerate to 6k rpms in 1st and then clutch in, shift, and wait for rpms to drop then I lose a lot of momentum. I tried for the first time today accelerating to 6k rpm, foot off gas, clutch in, shift to 2nd, clutch out and at the same time adding gas at the bite point and it smoothes everything out. Is this an ok thing to do? I've read a lot of contradicting information so far and I assume it's also dependant on the car too. I was told to only add gas when starting from a stop before.
Sponsored

ne0guri

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 White Orchid Pearl Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
Looking for some tips when shifting from 1st to 2nd like you're trying to get a sweet 0-57 time. When I shift quickly and release the clutch quickly without any gas the car jerks pretty good. If I accelerate to 6k rpms in 1st and then clutch in, shift, and wait for rpms to drop then I lose a lot of momentum. I tried for the first time today accelerating to 6k rpm, foot off gas, clutch in, shift to 2nd, clutch out and at the same time adding gas at the bite point and it smoothes everything out. Is this an ok thing to do? I've read a lot of contradicting information so far and I assume it's also dependant on the car too. I was told to only add gas when starting from a stop before.
Hmm I open the throttle on my baby as soon as I engage the shift. Otherwise the RPM drops which slows the momentum? I probably am burning the Clutch or doing it wrong but sometimes I like to keep the Clutch 1/3 engaged for a second longer at the shift as I gas , so that the change is smoother.

sharkbait

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si
Yeah I wish the revs dropped faster :(
I either sit there and wait until the revs drop enough or like you said, hold the clutch at the bite for a bit to smooth it out. Feels like I'm using more clutch to be smooth.

CivicSi#38

First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1993 Acura Integra, 2015 Honda CR-V, 2017 Honda Civic Si, 1990 Acura Integra (sold), 2001 Acura Integra GS-R (sold), 2011 Honda Civic Si (sold), 2007 Honda CBR 600RR (sold)
Country flag
Are you attempting to do no lift shift? If not have you yet?

If you are, I know Hondata and Ktuner have been used to smooth this out. Additionally, both of these tuning options can kill the rev hang between gears we all know and love. You can thank our friends over in the emissions department for the rev hang.;)

Jake Speed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R, 2017 CR-V AWD Touring
Country flag
I've driven manuals exclusively for 29 years, mostly high-performance Hondas, and this isn't about experience driving a manual. It's one of my few gripes about this car, and I think it's worse than my '13 Si.

jakabony

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si, 2019 Honda CR-V EX-L, 2017 Subaru Forester
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I agree, there is a lot of rev hang on this car. However, I am surprised as to how aggressive it chirps in second, and even third, without using WOT. Not something that is common to high revving Hondas, but a result of the increased low end torque.

teders

First Name
Ted Dorosheff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic SI
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I agree, there is a lot of rev hang on this car. However, I am surprised as to how aggressive it chirps in second, and even third, without using WOT. Not something that is common to high revving Hondas, but a result of the increased low end torque.
I really like how much low end torque it has. The one good thing about my old Spec-V was how torquey it was at low end.

OP
OP

polished1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
nothing
Country flag
Yup I'm very new which is why I'm trying to learn as much as I can. I was taught not to apply any gas whenever you have your foot on the clutch after the initial launch. But watching videos of people doing quick accelerations from a stop, and driving this car myself, it seems like the wrong advice.

If I accelerate in 1st to 6k rpm, clutch in, shift to 2nd, and apply gas as I quickly let go of the clutch it smoothens everything out a lot and I don't have to wait for the rpms to drop. I just want to make sure I'm not damaging anything by doing this.

CivicSi#38

First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1993 Acura Integra, 2015 Honda CR-V, 2017 Honda Civic Si, 1990 Acura Integra (sold), 2001 Acura Integra GS-R (sold), 2011 Honda Civic Si (sold), 2007 Honda CBR 600RR (sold)
Country flag
Yup I'm very new which is why I'm trying to learn as much as I can. I was taught not to apply any gas whenever you have your foot on the clutch after the initial launch. But watching videos of people doing quick accelerations from a stop, and driving this car myself, it seems like the wrong advice.

If I accelerate in 1st to 6k rpm, clutch in, shift to 2nd, and apply gas as I quickly let go of the clutch it smoothens everything out a lot and I don't have to wait for the rpms to drop. I just want to make sure I'm not damaging anything by doing this.
There is a new feature called no lift shift on this car that is meant for banging through gears quickly. Essentially you shift from gear to gear without coming off of the gas at WOT and the computer will actually (attempt to) rev match for you. It can do this because it has a fly by wire throttlebody. Keep in mind if you choose to do this from time to time that you have to have the throttle at a minimum of %60 percent and the RPMs past 5500 (I think that is the default settings someone correct me if I am wrong) in order to have the computer to rev match for you. It's a bit confusing when you write it down on paper but it is one of those things that I think is simple to demonstrate. I hope that helps clear it up...

Design

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
09 MS3, 17 ABM Si Sedan
Country flag
The rev hang is pretty bad on this car at WOT. And is becoming commonplace on modern small displacement motors for emissions purposes.

The up side is that it will reward you for taking your time between shifts (when not racing from one stoplight to the next).

Watch this video to see how someone with experience does it. Skip to 18:40. He's not that fast, but he's fairly smooth which helps limit drivetrain shock.

jpuhl777

First Name
Jp
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic SI Coupe (WOP)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
That's a good review that feels very Honest. :) nice find DESIGN

Design

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
09 MS3, 17 ABM Si Sedan
Country flag
I can't take credit. It was posted by two other members well ahead of me. :)

But his knowledge of the car clearly shines in this review, hence why I included for the OP. :cool:

Darky

First Name
Darcy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic SI Coupe
Country flag
Ktuner's new feature (officially released today) is a rev hang delete.
Sponsored