Shifting techniques?

DARK SiDE

OBSiDIAN
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Si
Country flag
Hi, I’m not really new to driving manual but I am new to advanced techniques, or at least techniques that are past basic shifting. I’ve heard terms like double-clutching and rev matching. Is there anything else?

Also, I’ve watched a lot on double clutching and was wondering if it’s supposed to be for up down or both shifts. I’ve tried it both ways in my car and got upshifting it just feels like it’s slowing me down.
Sponsored

hobby-man

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 WRX STi, 2018 Sport Touring Hatchback (sold)
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
There is no point double clutching on a modern gearbox with synchros. If you want to learn, that's a different story. But there's definitely no need to do it.

burglar

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic
Country flag
You haven't had to double clutch for years, it's a synchromesh box. Just put clutch in, choose gear, release clutch.

You can rev match / heel-toe if you want, which is give the throttle a little blip during agressive downshifting. That makes the synchro's job a little easier.

racer

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si sedan.
Country flag
Double clutching is not really needed any more.

Double clutching was used in gearboxes without synchromesh or synchronizers. It was a way to lessen the load on the clutch and transmission and smooth out gear changes. It was done on both upshift and downshifting.

A modern manual transmission does not need this technique anymore. it does slow you down since you have to do several steps manually. Hence the reason so many folks like "rev match" or better yet, DCT/PDK gearboxes as they reduce driver involvement and effort (and skill)

(See here for more info: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Double_clutch_(technique)

Yonder

First Name
Miguel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Other than learning the basics from my pops... All the driving/shifting techniques for spirited driving are seen and taught in the "Best Motoring Hot Version" videos. Touge runs in all kinds of different cars from big name tuning companies in Japan (Spoon, Amuse, J's Racing, etc...). Tips from legends like Max Orido and Keiichi Tsuchiya driving different car layouts. Explaining benefits and negatives of FF's, FR's, MR's & RR's as they drive through the mountains. If you enjoy tuners, superior driving skills and want to learn... these vids are the best free lessons you can find. Just watch and try to mimic while driving.

This vid is perfect for an intro to spirited driving, since it's in a FF layout as well.

MGZ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Si Coupe, Previously 2016 EX-L (50k miles)
Country flag
This has probably been mentioned/covered too but "heel toe" is another technique where you rev match and down shift as you brake. As the name implies, you brake with your toes and roll your foot so your heel blips the throttle. This allows you to work both (gas and brake) pedals with your right foot while you clutch in and downshift with your left. I think this is considered an essential technique for braking into a corner and getting into the right gear for a faster corner exit.
Sponsored