Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
If S stands for Sport, show me in the manual or any official text.

It's not sport.
You're right, it's not a true Sport mode like in the Si where various changes completely change the character of the car.

S is strictly a transmission program that keeps revs higher in the powerband and offers more response (compared to D) at the expense of mpgs.
Sponsored

REBELXSi

Señor Member
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Si coupe RIP, '20 CRV EX-L Hybrid
Country flag
"S-Range Control
To allow the driver to alter the operation of the CVT, the console-mounted gear selector includes an "S" or Sport mode that provides a sport-shift schedule that delays upshifting for more available power, and provides greater engine braking."

from here: https://hondanews.com/en-US/releases/2016-honda-civic-sedan-press-kit-powertrain?page=2

It is confusing because most documents just say s mode, but there literally is no second gear in a CVT.
Well, you showed me what I asked for. What's funny is, the last time I had this conversation on here, someone provided an example that said it stood for "Shift".

It's odd Honda would have S on the CVT and then an actual Sport mode button on the Si and then refer to them both as "Sport mode".

REBELXSi

Señor Member
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Si coupe RIP, '20 CRV EX-L Hybrid
Country flag
You're right, it's not a true Sport mode like in the Si where various changes completely change the character of the car.
Not even the Si sport mode is an actual sport mode lol... I barely notice any difference.

Bosco72

First Name
Albert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic coupe sport
Country flag
At least both 1.5 turbo and 2.0 have forged pistons

Gruber

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Sport Touring; 2009 Honda CR-V EX-L
Country flag
There is no such thing as "actual sport mode". An official definition of "sport mode" doesn't exist. It's whatever a car manufacturer's marketing decides. Of course owners/drivers can have their own opinion as to what's actual.

In this case, they decided to only call it S in the X generation manuals, although, as seen above, the early announcement actually called it "Sport", while older Honda manuals (for old fashioned sprocket-based automatic transmissions) used S to mean "second". But S in a sprocket transmission actually locks the transmission in the second gear. Other cars may use L2 or 2. But S on the CVT is either fully automatic or paddle-controlled manual with automatic safety.

Apparently they finally left to the driver discretion how to think about it.

shoegazer

assistant to the assistant manager
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic LX Coupe 2.0 (CVT)
Country flag
I messed around in this mode yesterday since reading this thread (CVT without paddles).

It just seems like an alternate CVT program. And I believe I could tell a difference between the Eco Mode (on and off) while in the S mode.

I've been switching to S while stopped at traffic lights. Then I'll move it into D once I'm up to speed. Pulling it into S from D just feels like it is too much of a stress on the CVT. I'm sure it's okay. It's just not what I wanna' do.

I had a Sport for a short time with the paddle shifters. I could never make the paddles work smoothly with the "downshifts".

I miss my RSX automatic with the manual shift mode.

sLing

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Type R
There is no such thing as "actual sport mode". An official definition of "sport mode" doesn't exist. It's whatever a car manufacturer's marketing decides. Of course owners/drivers can have their own opinion as to what's actual.

In this case, they decided to only call it S in the X generation manuals, although, as seen above, the early announcement actually called it "Sport", while older Honda manuals (for old fashioned sprocket-based automatic transmissions) used S to mean "second". But S in a sprocket transmission actually locks the transmission in the second gear. Other cars may use L2 or 2. But S on the CVT is either fully automatic or paddle-controlled manual with automatic safety.

Apparently they finally left to the driver discretion how to think about it.
It was called Second in some of the older cvt manuals

https://techinfo.honda.com/rjanisis/pubs/OM/CH0303/CH0303O00166A.pdf

Fredline

First Name
Fred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2009 Mazda Miata MX-5
Country flag
I use "S" about 80% of the time - It's way more responsive and fun to drive. "F" the MPG!
The only time I really use "D" is when I'm on the freeway. It's the only time I use Econ either.

Reactions: JJJ

Teknyx

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Sport 2.0
Country flag
Well that would be some bullshit if I bought a Honda sport and the f@cking “S” doesn’t even stand for Sport!!! That’s exactly what the sales guy told me!!! It’s a 2019 2.0na Sport sedan

CobraCommand

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Canadian Civic LX Hatchback, formerly 2017 Canadian Civic LX Sedan
Country flag
Well that would be some bullshit if I bought a Honda sport and the f@cking “S” doesn’t even stand for Sport!!! That’s exactly what the sales guy told me!!! It’s a 2019 2.0na Sport sedan
I'm pretty sure the only difference of the "sport" 2.0 NA is trim, center exhaust, and different wheels vs other normal 2.0 NA's from earlier years prior to the sport. It surprises me how many of them there are now instead of the 1.5T.

dt17

First Name
Daryl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic hatchback turbo 2017
Country flag
It's not sport on the cvt, it's second. The "S" stands for second.

If it's a cvt transmission the "S" stands for second (2nd) not Sport. "D" = Drive, "L" = Low, "S" = Second.

IMG_20190625_122948_08.jpg
Nice Mario Kart Stickers...

Gruber

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Sport Touring; 2009 Honda CR-V EX-L
Country flag
It was, and I linked to this manual myself in another thread. But it doesn't really make sense to call it "second" in the CVT, because the CVT S goes through all ratios exactly like D only the rpms are higher at any given speed. So for gen X they finally decided to call it just S and never refer to either Sport or Second in the manuals unless it's Si or Type R where the Sport mode also affects the suspension.
Sponsored