Honda_RacerX

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Si
Country flag
I pretty much shift at high rpm's, between 3500 and 5000 with no issues. Since I have owned this car (June 2018) I only grinded it once, and that was going into third gear and forgetting to hit the clutch (my bad!), other than that, I have not had any gear grinds. Maybe you are mistaking the notchy sound as a grind? The notchy shifting is done on purpose to let you know it went into gear. Also as I stated earlier, you need to allow the synchros to do their job by giving a .2 second delay between shifts
lol no dude it was a loud ass grind and it wouldnt go into gear when it did it. a grind and lockout feels and sounds way different than just notchy/not smooth shifts.
Sponsored

amirza786

First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Polestar 2, 2010 Lexus IS 350 Sport
Country flag
lol no dude it was a loud ass grind and it wouldnt go into gear when it did it. a grind and lockout feels and sounds way different than just notchy/not smooth shifts.
Got it. Not good. You should get it checked out from the dealer to make sure there are no issues with your transmission

Last edited:

Jayceegee

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 civic si
Country flag
Yup - 1st to 2nd is not good at all and with the rev hang I get this jerking motion every time. All the other gears are great and a nice smooth ride -- but 1st to 2nd - YIKES.

dbeer

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 civic si sedan
Country flag
Anyone else feels that shifting into 2nd feels really weird or is it just me? All the other gears are as smooth as butter but 2nd is horrible, almost looks like it doesn't want to get into 2nd from first.

Talked to the dealer about it yesterday and he told me that 2-3 Si they got had a broken transmission from factory and they were not shifting right...
I think i know what you are talking about. Its like its just rough going into 2nd sometimes. Not a grind just unexpected feedback through the shift lever. For me, using a weighted knob reduced the feedback. Letting the shifter go to neutral and then putting it into 2nd eliminates it altogether. Im not sure if its the time that it takes to do that or just the movement of the gate change and gear change cables that are responsible for eliminating it when you let it drop into neutral first (btw, i had the clutched disengaged the whole time).

I purchased and installed the acuity adjustable shifter more than 2 weeks ago and I dont feel that grunginess going straight to 2nd but that could just be a function of the shortness of the shift. Btw, I love the adjustable shifter. Its expensive but I feel that it was money well spent. You really feel the entry into each gear. The shifting is much stiffer. The wiggle of the shifter in gear is largely gone. I have mine setup for midway on the shortness of the shift and midway on the closeness of the gates and it feels awesome.

PekeSi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FC3 Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Delete the clutch valve, change the clutch line put some motul 600 and your good to go.

CLnet2014

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic SI 2018 Coupe
Country flag
From my side i've installed the Acuity kit and it far way better than stock.

garoto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
05 RYP S2K, 18 CW CTR
Country flag
Anyone else feels that shifting into 2nd feels really weird or is it just me? All the other gears are as smooth as butter but 2nd is horrible, almost looks like it doesn't want to get into 2nd from first.

Talked to the dealer about it yesterday and he told me that 2-3 Si they got had a broken transmission from factory and they were not shifting right...
I call BS from the dealer. The transmissions are fine. Shifting from 1st - 2nd is different due to the ratio of first and the amount of torque the engine produces, but there’s nothing wrong with 2nd. I have over 600,000 miles or MT driving experience. I used to use my CTR as a point of reference, I have 20,000 miles on it without any 2nd gear incident. But now I can use as reference the CTR of a friend who kept complaining about 2nd. I drove it for over 500 miles in different conditions, not a single notch. When I saw him drive it, it was his driving style. There’s no issue with 2nd.

aeonixx

First Name
KW
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si
Country flag
I hate how 1st feels, I hate how 2nd feels sometimes. But no other gear feels odd.
1st Gear is a very short gear and it is intended that way, but shifting into second there shouldnt be any issues unless your not getting full clutch, sometimes when you jump on it its a clutch timing issue, but remember your clutch will take a beating. But if its hard to shift and "grinds" with full clutch then the synchros are screwed up and I would have down to the dealer in a heart beat..

OP
OP
Masked

Masked

First Name
Jos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
I call BS from the dealer. The transmissions are fine. Shifting from 1st - 2nd is different due to the ratio of first and the amount of torque the engine produces, but there’s nothing wrong with 2nd. I have over 600,000 miles or MT driving experience. I used to use my CTR as a point of reference, I have 20,000 miles on it without any 2nd gear incident. But now I can use as reference the CTR of a friend who kept complaining about 2nd. I drove it for over 500 miles in different conditions, not a single notch. When I saw him drive it, it was his driving style. There’s no issue with 2nd.
You call BS from the dealer? It was the mechanician that told me all of this, why would the guy lie? Every shitty thing he told me about the Si was right. The rear rotors are shitty, the clear coat comes off, the A/C is crap, there's a lot of rattles coming from the center console and the A-Pillars, the oil/fuel dilution problem, the rods are bad and he had to replace 2 engines and many clutches because they are always breaking when you try to add any power to it. Look, I love my Si, but the 10th gen is nowhere near perfect. Also, don't try to blame it on my driving style and saying how good you are at driving a manual. Many people here have replaced the transmission fluid and it removed all the problem they had with 2nd. Hey I did it myself this weekend and guess what? No more problem with 2nd gear :)

swah_fk7

Regamaster King
First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Si Coupe, 2017 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
1st Gear is a very short gear and it is intended that way, but shifting into second there shouldnt be any issues unless your not getting full clutch, sometimes when you jump on it its a clutch timing issue, but remember your clutch will take a beating. But if its hard to shift and "grinds" with full clutch then the synchros are screwed up and I would have down to the dealer in a heart beat..
It goes into gear, no grinds, I know how to work a clutch. It just feels notchy. Has play on the actual shifter IN gear. Acuity stuff should fix that.

mdmh10

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic Si 2018, Acura RDX 2013
Country flag
I have found that switching from 1st to 2nd works best if you give it a little gas as you release the clutch. The drop of rpms when you clutch in from 1st to 2nd is a lot larger than the gear ratio seems to accomodate for.

reckonize

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 civic si sedan
Country flag
Personally what I found in the first 6 months of owning this car was 1-2 was notchy as well as 3-4th and sometimes 5-6th. I also felt the transmission itself was not very smooth. After doing some research, I found that others fixed the issue by changing out the OEM MT fluid for Amsoil Synchromesh MT fluid, and for me that fixed most of the issues and made the transmission smother in general. There is still some notchiness, but much less and shifts have been smooth every since
is it the Manual Synchromesh Transmission Fluid 5W-30? thank you

OP
OP
Masked

Masked

First Name
Jos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
is it the Manual Synchromesh Transmission Fluid 5W-30? thank you
Yes it's this one! Buy or order 2 quarts and you're good to go

OzCop

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si coupe, 2020 SLT GMC Terrain, F450 MH
Country flag
I have been trying to work out when my 2nd gear is notchy like that while driving. So far it seems to be at its worst if my steering isn't centered (I.e. if I'm in a slight turn our coming out of one and I shift into 2nd I almost always get that clunky shift) and I find if dont have the clutch pedal completely depressed the shift can be rough too. If I'm traveling in a straight line usually it's ok for me.
It sounds to me like you may have a worn or sloppy motor or transmission mount.
Sponsored