Shifting from D to S and S to D

KoreanDrama

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic EX-T 2016, Honda Civic Hybrid 2003
Hey guys, I got a Civic EX-T in December and have just recently been using the sport mode more liberally now that I've been more comfortable with the car.

My question is, is it okay for me to shift from D gear to S and vice versa while driving , or should I come to a complete stop before shifting?

Also is the S gear an actual sport mode, or is it just second gear? I had an 03 Civic hybrid with the second gear labeled as "S"
Sponsored

dick w

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Civic Sedan Touring, '18 CR-V Touring AWD
Country flag
OK to shift D-S or S-D on the fly. The car will change how it matches engine revs to speed, but won't do anything that would hurt itself.

david1pro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring, MSM with Black Interior
Country flag
Honda Civic 10th gen Shifting from D to S and S to D upload_2016-2-12_19-42-13

The manual does not use the words "second" or "sport" in reference to the gears... so, noncommittal.

87Si89Base16EXT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Civic EX-T '13 Accord Sport '08 Scion xD '94 Altima
Hey guys, I got a Civic EX-T in December and have just recently been using the sport mode more liberally now that I've been more comfortable with the car.

I had an 03 Civic hybrid with the second gear labeled as "S"
Hey. I came out of an '03 Civic Hybrid into an EX-T in December, too! HUGE upgrade, isn't it? Very pleased I'm getting the same gas mileage but with WAY more power!

OP
OP
KoreanDrama

KoreanDrama

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hey. I came out of an '03 Civic Hybrid into an EX-T in December, too! HUGE upgrade, isn't it? Very pleased I'm getting the same gas mileage but with WAY more power!
Yeah, man. It's a helluva upgrade. I've been getting about 6 mpg less compared to my in my previous 03 hybrid though, but the turbo in this new Civic greatly make up for it?

Can I ask what your exact mileage was in your 03' and what it is now in the new car? I was getting consistently around 41+ MPG with the hybrid and now I get around 35-36 MPG in the EX-T, mainly highway driving for school.

87Si89Base16EXT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Civic EX-T '13 Accord Sport '08 Scion xD '94 Altima
Yeah, man. It's a helluva upgrade. I've been getting about 6 mpg less compared to my in my previous 03 hybrid though, but the turbo in this new Civic greatly make up for it?

Can I ask what your exact mileage was in your 03' and what it is now in the new car? I was getting consistently around 41+ MPG with the hybrid and now I get around 35-36 MPG in the EX-T, mainly highway driving for school.
Only had the hybrid a year, great car (low miles super clean just too slow for me). I probably averaged 37 ish in the winter, 41-42 in summer (mostly highway, these numbers from trip computer). Averaged 39ish for over 8000 miles on trip B meter. Just over 3700 miles on the EX-T and overall average with trip B meter is 37.7, same type of driving. But it's been all winter driving so far. Do get over 40 on some daily commute drives when it's above freezing and I keep it under 75. haha

OP
OP
KoreanDrama

KoreanDrama

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Only had the hybrid a year, great car (low miles super clean just too slow for me). I probably averaged 37 ish in the winter, 41-42 in summer (mostly highway, these numbers from trip computer). Averaged 39ish for over 8000 miles on trip B meter. Just over 3700 miles on the EX-T and overall average with trip B meter is 37.7, same type of driving. But it's been all winter driving so far. Do get over 40 on some daily commute drives when it's above freezing and I keep it under 75. haha
It's good to know that I'm getting a decent mileage then. I thought I was just forgetting how to feather the accelerator as well as I used to haha.

lucashend

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-T
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Can someone explain the difference between D and S? For example, when I put it in S, it feels like the car is working more to get started, and isn't quite as peppy as in D, which leads me to believe it's not really sport mode. Why is this? Also, is there anything mechanically that is working differently with the transmission? I do know that with a CVT transmission, there are no "gears", so how does S vs D work in that respect? My knowledge of cars is limited, but I would love to learn more. Thanks in advance!

OP
OP
KoreanDrama

KoreanDrama

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
From what I can tell it tells the car to shift a little later than it would in D and it keeps the revs a bit higher than it would in D. As a result you get a sportier feel and you can more easily feel the torque pressing against you when you step on the pedal. Mechanically I think the car is just manipulating the belt so that the shift points are different? (Not too sure about this one though).

dick w

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Civic Sedan Touring, '18 CR-V Touring AWD
Country flag
Mechanically I think the car is just manipulating the belt so that the shift points are different? (Not too sure about this one though).
It's all manipulated in software. The shift points are different because the computer makes them so.

TyBu

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
So is that the only difference? Shift points?
It may not be the only difference, but it's definitely the main one. The advantage is there is more immediately available power. The disadvantage is, yes, your car is almost always doing more work. If you're curious, it does pretty much act like the sport mode in any other automatic transmission. Or...the relationship between D and S is about the same anyway.

If you give the gas a quick hard stab in S at a low speed while cruising, the car will buck a bit (especially with econ off). Extremely fast response to the gas. By comparison, in D, it will barely react.

Honda 4life

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda civic lx
Country flag
Hi i know this thread is old or dead anyway i have a same question about shifting to D to S or S to D while the car is moving or running(40mph or 50mph)

Is it ok to do that? or it will damage my tranny(cvt) or engine? I own a 2017 honda civic(cvt) LX. Thanks!

OP
OP
KoreanDrama

KoreanDrama

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hi i know this thread is old or dead anyway i have a same question about shifting to D to S or S to D while the car is moving or running(40mph or 50mph)

Is it ok to do that? or it will damage my tranny(cvt) or engine? I own 2017 honda civic LX. Thanks!
As long as you keep your foot off the throttle while doing so you should be okay