Shifting Clunk/Clack - Dual Mass Flywheel (DMF)?

Guitar_stitch

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic SI, 2006 Honda Element, 2006 Chevy Express
Country flag
I need a tire rotation anyway so I just scheduled an appointment with my dealer this week and am going to ask them to investigate for worn flywheel/clutch springs, which is what the nose kind of sounds like when I do hear it. Will update with my findings.
If you have a stock clutch, it's a solid disk - not sprung. The DMF would have internal springs, but I don't know how those sound when failing.
Sponsored

SDAlexander8

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17’ Si FC3, 17’ Accord 2dr V6 6MT, 22’ RL RTL-E
Country flag
This has always occurred with my Si, especially when shifting 1st to 2nd at a low rpm. Has to be the springs in the DMF engaging. 1st to 2nd is just a very clunky shift in this car. A tall shift as well and brutal rev hang.

Last edited:
OP
OP
casper

casper

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Civic Sport Hatchback (6MT)
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
So I'm at the dealer now having it checked out and I'm relieved to say that they do not think anything is amiss. Just wanted to pass along the good news. If anyone else is having this noise (to the extent that I had it) it's likely a combination of less-than-perfect technique and just "normal" DMF sounds.

As a side note, they mentioned my shift linkages were a little loud in my even gears, but nothing to be worried about, and could be dealt with by replacing the stock bushings. But that wasn't related to the reason I started the thread.

GITS

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Hatchback Sport 6MT
Country flag
So I'm at the dealer now having it checked out and I'm relieved to say that they do not think anything is amiss. Just wanted to pass along the good news. If anyone else is having this noise (to the extent that I had it) it's likely a combination of less-than-perfect technique and just "normal" DMF sounds.

As a side note, they mentioned my shift linkages were a little loud in my even gears, but nothing to be worried about, and could be dealt with by replacing the stock bushings. But that wasn't related to the reason I started the thread.
The sound of your engine turning off is what I've been hearing from my civic (~37K miles). Unforunately, that same noise from my car has devolved and become louder, shakes the engine bay and ends with a loud squeak/creak if I've driven hard, at all.

I've run a +9psi Hondata tune for around 9K miles prior to this becoming pronounced so I'm sure there's a huge difference in the wear/tear. My guess would be DMF/clutch issues after reading through this thread..

It had my Honda technician baffled by the sound after an oil change. He checked the motor mounts by request (all stock) and couldn't pin it on any other issues he's come across.

Any other updates/changes/insight on this?

OP
OP
casper

casper

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Civic Sport Hatchback (6MT)
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
The sound of your engine turning off is what I've been hearing from my civic (~37K miles). Unforunately, that same noise from my car has devolved and become louder, shakes the engine bay and ends with a loud squeak/creak if I've driven hard, at all.

I've run a +9psi Hondata tune for around 9K miles prior to this becoming pronounced so I'm sure there's a huge difference in the wear/tear. My guess would be DMF/clutch issues after reading through this thread..

It had my Honda technician baffled by the sound after an oil change. He checked the motor mounts by request (all stock) and couldn't pin it on any other issues he's come across.

Any other updates/changes/insight on this?
Well I switched to a Type R stock RMM, and so the sounds are less prominent now than with the 27Won Street mount. I haven’t noticed any worsening of the sound with this new baseline either so I’ve kinda forgotten about it, tbh.

It does seem like a flywheel/clutch problem though from intuition… which doesn’t worry me too much as I’ll likely upgrade it when the time comes. I learned on this car so I probably won’t be able to milk this clutch for the life of the vehicle anyway.
Sponsored