Shifter leather assembly

SI_honda_2k17

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda civic si
Country flag
Hi
As I was washing the interior of my 2017 civic SI i realized that the leather of my shifter assembly seems to be detached (sorry I dont have the right term for it)

i guess it is still under warranty but Inwas wondering if some of you have the same problem and if you already try to repair it by yourself (I can’t find an DIY)

Honda Civic 10th gen Shifter leather assembly 23E87DE5-8D3B-4B3B-AA6D-60350FBE17FF
Sponsored

arpypat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
That leather part is called a "shift boot" and the boot + the trim around around it is the console assembly. You can find videos on how to get to the shifter console by searching for how to videos for boot collar installs.

You need some plastic pry tools to pop off the boomerang-shaped plastic trim and the 2 fabric-wrapped trim pieces in the center console. This will expose the screws holding the shift console assembly in place.

OP
OP
SI_honda_2k17

SI_honda_2k17

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda civic si
Country flag
That leather part is called a "shift boot" and the boot + the trim around around it is the console assembly. You can find videos on how to get to the shifter console by searching for how to videos for boot collar installs.

You need some plastic pry tools to pop off the boomerang-shaped plastic trim and the 2 fabric-wrapped trim pieces in the center console. This will expose the screws holding the shift console assembly in place.
Thank you for the info
Do you think it worth trying to fix it myself or I should wait for a dealer appointment?

DRuby

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Si, 2013 CR-V
Country flag
I would not expect a dealer to want to do this small task. Who knows if there's a warranty billing code.

It might come back worse than before and you're stuck because they'll say "we did the best we could, just live with it."

If you can DIY, best option in my opinion. The previous post was good.

A possible quick fix: If the boot fabric is a friction fit between the two pieces, maybe credit cards at the corner could slide the boot back down. Probably doesn't need glue since the boot isn't under stress.

fenix-silver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Si
Country flag
I would not expect a dealer to want to do this small task. Who knows if there's a warranty billing code.

It might come back worse than before and you're stuck because they'll say "we did the best we could, just live with it."

A possible quick fix: If the boot fabric is a friction fit between the two pieces, maybe credit cards at the corner could slide the boot back down. Probably doesn't need glue since the boot isn't under stress.
Agreed. Also, dealers don't give a crap about being careful when removing trim pieces.

tinyman392

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Type R (RR)
Country flag

I'm not sure if a dealership would try to repair it or just replace the entire part entirely. The shift boot is like 70 bucks if I'm not mistaken. It's also possible the leather ripped, but you wouldn't know until you looked. That said, this should be something that would be covered under warranty.

OP
OP
SI_honda_2k17

SI_honda_2k17

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda civic si
Country flag
Good idea the credit card trick!
It work! i don’t know for how long but now it look clean.

i will mention it to the dealer next time i change my oil

thank you guys!
Sponsored