Shift points for 2019 Civic SI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic SI
Country flag
I've recently got the 2019 Honda Civic SI as my first manual transmission. I've never driven stick before this so I am still in the process of learning. My most troubled area is knowing when to upshift and downshift without that jerk motion. If someone who has driven the 2019 Civic SI could me know an idea of when to do either of these shifts, I would really appreciated it.
Sponsored

Kable's2019Si

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si, 1992 C1500 383
Country flag
It seems to shift smoother under 2500 rpms, but for the most part the jerkiness is a big part of how fast you release the clutch. Try easing off the clutch a little slower.

OP
OP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic SI
Country flag
It seems to shift smoother under 2500 rpms, but for the most part the jerkiness is a big part of how fast you release the clutch. Try easing off the clutch a little slower.
Thanks! Honestly I am paranoid that I am releasing the clutch too slow and might damage it.

CanadiaegeanBlue

First Name
Humza
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si Sedan - Aegean Blue Metallic
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
1-2 I shift over 3K rpm, it's dramatically smoothed out the engagement of the shift lever between the gear. You'll also discover a tiny blip even when upshifting at slow pace helps. For downshifting, a little throttle blip is called rev matching which you will get better with over time on how to match the perfect rpm.

DRuby

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Si, 2013 CR-V
Country flag
If you are new to both manual shifting and the car, I'd advise to keep the top revs below say 4k, particularly if your learning the shift pattern. A bad errror would be to think your upshifting but really putting it in a lower gear by mistake. With the top end revs at a 4k shift point, you have a cushion when the engine revs are forced up due to the lower gear. Shifting at higher revs and going to a downshift by mistake could red line the engine or go even higher that could bust something.

Good luck in a new dimension of driving instead of just steering and braking.

COOL COUPE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic SI coupe (red) Skunk 2 shift knob BOV Spacer Plate (red) K&N Panel Filter Dual Muffler Delete
Country flag
Forget all the this and that ... best advice is to turn off the radio and "listen" to the car ... the gear will wine out and you will FEEL like the whine is telling you something ... it is ... it is telling you to shift. This way it does NOT MATTER if you floor the car or gingerly accelerate ... Learn how to chirp the tires ONLY SLIGHTLY in first gear by giving more gas, dont wheel hop, then shift to second when you feel the gear is whining out. The LESS you think the better your are. DO NOT look at the speed or tach or anything else. This is why I am slipping on the Borla to my car under the cover of darkness (so my wife does not know) so I can better hear the engine. This fixes the problem with rev hang that plagues me since I am old School. Summit racing seems to have the best price on the Borla but any exhaust enhancement will greatly help you. Also - think about traveling with loose eggs in your trunk that you do not want to break. This will train your mind to ROLL the clutch and lessen the on/off that causes jolts to the car! Enjoy!

Kable's2019Si

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si, 1992 C1500 383
Country flag
Thanks! Honestly I am paranoid that I am releasing the clutch too slow and might damage it.
As long as you're not REALLY dragging it out you'll be fine. As you drive it more you'll find your sweet spots. It's all about practice. Eventually it will all become unconscious reactions and you will be pulling on people before you know. For shifting back to lower gears you'll learn to rev match. Just bump the gas a little to match the rpms of the previous gear. Don't over think it, just get comfortable and enjoy the car.

MoaRPowah

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
As Kable said, it's the clutch release that will cause the sudden jerkiness. Just keep driving and you will absolutely develop a feel for the clutch. It will be muscle memory and second nature on your release. The clutch engages higher, so give a little gas as your clutch is nearing the top as you are slowly releasing he clutch. You will know it by feel that you are shifting smoothly and that feeling will be muscle memory in a short time.

Good luck and happy driving :thumbsup:

EdwinDrn

First Name
Edwin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Odyssey, 19' Civic Si
Country flag
I've recently got the 2019 Honda Civic SI as my first manual transmission. I've never driven stick before this so I am still in the process of learning. My most troubled area is knowing when to upshift and downshift without that jerk motion. If someone who has driven the 2019 Civic SI could me know an idea of when to do either of these shifts, I would really appreciated it.
You and I both.. I got mine about 3 weeks ago. I watched several videos on Youtube, that helped for sure.. When I first started, I was trying to balance the clutch with my foot in the air and heel not on the carpet.. (Weird I know)... You might have to adjust your seating position, but I did find this to help me a lot.

Having your heel firm on the carpet helps you balance the clutch..

I also did notice that you have to give it more gas than you'd think.. Maybe around 2k RPM.

EdwinDrn

First Name
Edwin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Odyssey, 19' Civic Si
Country flag
Forget all the this and that ... best advice is to turn off the radio and "listen" to the car ... the gear will wine out and you will FEEL like the whine is telling you something ... it is ... it is telling you to shift. This way it does NOT MATTER if you floor the car or gingerly accelerate ... Learn how to chirp the tires ONLY SLIGHTLY in first gear by giving more gas, dont wheel hop, then shift to second when you feel the gear is whining out. The LESS you think the better your are. DO NOT look at the speed or tach or anything else. This is why I am slipping on the Borla to my car under the cover of darkness (so my wife does not know) so I can better hear the engine. This fixes the problem with rev hang that plagues me since I am old School. Summit racing seems to have the best price on the Borla but any exhaust enhancement will greatly help you. Also - think about traveling with loose eggs in your trunk that you do not want to break. This will train your mind to ROLL the clutch and lessen the on/off that causes jolts to the car! Enjoy!

HAHA This is a great thread.. I can relate to so much of this. I've had my SI for about 3 weeks now. For those 3 weeks, My radio has either been really low, or just completely off. This is golden advise.

Captaindicki

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Si Coupe (sold)
Country flag
Had mine over a year and I still have jerkiness first to second, sometimes into 3rd. I won’t even ferry some passengers around because of embarrassment. Added a K&N drop-in filter and seems to have become more pronounced. I try to wait for the RPM to drop before clutch release, but I don’t always remember or have time to do that

Micah

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Si 4DR FlashPro +9psi (3k-14k) Ktuner TSP Stage 1(14k-30k+) '17 Traverse LT AWD
Country flag
You can use Cruise Control to cheat. Before shifting out of gear, enable and set cruise control, then clutch in and shift to the next gear - the rev's should match to where they need to be for smooth release of the clutch.

At least that is how it works in my 17 Si, I found it on accident one day. It's not really useful for real world driving purposes, but a neat trick anyway. Generally if you shift between 2 and 3 thousand RPM's the rev's will fall about 500-800 rpms between gears. At least I think it's about that much. It's early, I'm tired.

Captaindicki

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Si Coupe (sold)
Country flag
You can use Cruise Control to cheat. Before shifting out of gear, enable and set cruise control, then clutch in and shift to the next gear - the rev's should match to where they need to be for smooth release of the clutch.

At least that is how it works in my 17 Si, I found it on accident one day. It's not really useful for real world driving purposes, but a neat trick anyway. Generally if you shift between 2 and 3 thousand RPM's the rev's will fall about 500-800 rpms between gears. At least I think it's about that much. It's early, I'm tired.
Huh, I had no idea cruise control could be enabled at zero mph. But then I don’t use cruise that often. I’ll try this

Micah

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Si 4DR FlashPro +9psi (3k-14k) Ktuner TSP Stage 1(14k-30k+) '17 Traverse LT AWD
Country flag
Huh, I had no idea cruise control could be enabled at zero mph. But then I don’t use cruise that often. I’ll try this
Of course it can be enabled at 0 mph. It cannot be set at 0 mph....or maybe it automatically does....lol
Sponsored