Shift linkage and feel

ayau

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru
Country flag
After doing some parts diagram digging, it appears the base hatch uses cable shifters instead of a rod. See diagram below, part #5.

Honda Civic 10th gen Shift linkage and feel TGG4B3400

http://estore.honda.com/honda/parts...?m=2017-civic-5-sport-6mt&sn=&b=B++34&dl=#005

Rod shifters have superior feel compared to cables. It feels less rubber and more direct. Will this be a deal breaker? Probably not. However, one of the things that made the old Integra Type R so great was the shifter feel. My MY15 WRX uses cables for shifting, and it completely lacks any feedback.

Since the Type R will gets a unique transmission and engine, hopefully it'll use a rod shifter rather than a cable. Going to see if I can find the parts diagram for the UK FK2 Type R.
Sponsored

Last edited:

J35W2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'00 supercharged Civic Si (sold), '06 Civic Si (sold) , '14 V6-6MT Accord Coupe (sold), '17 CTR #1637, '18 Civic LX Hatch
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
My '00 Si used the rod shift mechanism & my '06 Si had the cable mechanism and I must say that I prefer the cables. You are right about there being less feedback from the cables, but that's why I like the mechanical feel of the cables. I want some feedback from the steering wheel & brakes, but not from my shifter. The rod style would loosen up & feel sloppy after a while and you could actually see it jump around when driving it hard. I like the mechanical, precise feel of cables, but to each his own obviously. I don't think Honda is ever going back to the rod, just like the electronic throttle is here to stay.

Nice find & thanks for sharing!

Last edited:
OP
OP

ayau

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru
Country flag
Not sure if cables are the trend now, but the STI still uses rod.

17CivicTypeR_Brian

Aiming for 400whp out of the TypeR.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Black CTR #4071, 16 MDX Tech
Country flag
If you follow the Leader from the M6 indicator, you see the end of the cable. That is a rubber bushing that can be swapped out for a solid aluminum piece or even a Poly insert probably. I did that and I liked the improvement it made to the feel.
I still have trouble doing some of the high-rev shifts sometimes, but I'm pretty careful with the car.
Sponsored