Loconinja

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Type R (FK8)
Two questions:

Is it possible to adjust the shift light rev limit?
Is there an audible warning available?

I can't find either in the settings menus, but it doesn't mean they're not there!
Sponsored

tuxmonkey

R-00330
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Civic Type R #330, '17 Jeep GC Overland
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Do you know if it flashes? I've revved it to limit but only noticed the dots fill up and that's it.

I really wish Honda had designed the FK8 gauges similar to the FK2, because having to scroll through to find the gauge(s) you want is really annoying. Here's my suggested fix to Honda: Integrate a digital gauge cluster into the head unit like the Torque app. Head unit is Android OS and is clearly connected with the car's computer since it can display fuel usage stats.

Edit: And because of this I am seriously considering unlocking dev mode in the head unit to install Torque directly to it, but say bye bye to the warranty.

17CivicTypeR_Brian

Aiming for 400whp out of the TypeR.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Black CTR #4071, 16 MDX Tech
Country flag
Good question. The tach definitely does not keep up with the engine. Maybe a light would be a better indicator...or maybe I shouldn't shift so close to redline.

OP
OP

Loconinja

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Type R (FK8)
Actually, when I wrote "shift lights" I was referring to the red lines at the top of the console. These flash near the redline, so perhaps these are not "shift" indicators, but redline indicators. This would explain why they are too late...

tuxmonkey

R-00330
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Civic Type R #330, '17 Jeep GC Overland
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
FK2 interior. The extra gauge screen doesn't seem like much, but it makes a big difference when you want to see multiple gauges.

Honda Civic 10th gen Shift Lights 033-2015-civic-type-r-interior

Cornercarver

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda civic Type R, 2002 Lexus SC430
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Not the same thing exactly, but tonight the multicolor shift gauge - the one that goes from green to yellow to red - was not working on my '18 FK8. Not sure if this happened on my recent service. Given this is one of the virtual gauges you cursor through it is extra weird for it to not work. Anyone else have this happen? Had this same gauge on my '17 SI and always worked, if a bit laggy.

BoostinIX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 SI Sedan
Country flag
Not the same thing exactly, but tonight the multicolor shift gauge - the one that goes from green to yellow to red - was not working on my '18 FK8. Not sure if this happened on my recent service. Given this is one of the virtual gauges you cursor through it is extra weird for it to not work. Anyone else have this happen? Had this same gauge on my '17 SI and always worked, if a bit laggy.
Is it enabled in the menus still after your recent service?

Masmackles

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
If I have the shift gauge dash app open I will hear a beep when to shift. Not sure if it's a 2020 thing never driven previous years.

Cornercarver

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Is it enabled in the menus still after your recent service?
Thank you, I will check on that today. Was hoping it might be that versus just a failure. You would think that working would be the default. You can select it from the gauge menu like before, it pulls it up but just stays dark. I remember you have to rev quite a bit before even the first lights come on, but this is not that.

ElGateKeeper

First Name
Ulises
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport Manual
Country flag
I have a 2020 Fk7 and it does not have these lights, I’d like to see if there was a way to get it to do the same. Change the cluster?

tinyman392

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Type R (RR)
Country flag
I have a 2020 Fk7 and it does not have these lights, I’d like to see if there was a way to get it to do the same. Change the cluster?
I'm not sure if the FK7 actually has the two shift lights that are supplied with the Type R. I would be surprised if it didn't have the multicolored ones which are displayed in the dash (press the 3 windows/squares button on the steering wheel and click left and right to select it). These flash on sequentially as you go through the gear between 4 and 7k RPM (may be lower on the non-Type R models).

The other light are the red/white lights that surround the top and sides of the dash (I think on the FK7 it would only be white). On the FK8 they'll flash when you're supposed to shift (preprogrammed for optimal acceleration).

Edit: do note that you're in the FK8 forums right now.

ElGateKeeper

First Name
Ulises
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport Manual
Country flag
I'm not sure if the FK7 actually has the two shift lights that are supplied with the Type R. I would be surprised if it didn't have the multicolored ones which are displayed in the dash (press the 3 windows/squares button on the steering wheel and click left and right to select it). These flash on sequentially as you go through the gear between 4 and 7k RPM (may be lower on the non-Type R models).

The other light are the red/white lights that surround the top and sides of the dash (I think on the FK7 it would only be white). On the FK8 they'll flash when you're supposed to shift (preprogrammed for optimal acceleration).

Edit: do note that you're in the FK8 forums right now.
I’ll try this out, I’ve looked through the settings and was unable to find anything. Thanks for the input ?

haltamer

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FK8 (UK / RHD!)
Country flag
If I have the shift gauge dash app open I will hear a beep when to shift. Not sure if it's a 2020 thing never driven previous years.
Interesting; I'd noticed this in some of the reviews but I have never noticed it on my 2019 car - I did have a dig to see if there was a setting for it somewhere but couldn't find it.

Don't particularly need to be told when to change up, but it's a very Japanese touch IMO :p

tinyman392

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Type R (RR)
Country flag
Interesting; I'd noticed this in some of the reviews but I have never noticed it on my 2019 car - I did have a dig to see if there was a setting for it somewhere but couldn't find it.

Don't particularly need to be told when to change up, but it's a very Japanese touch IMO :p
So the dash will actually flash red (always, I don't think you can shut this off, maybe you can in the settings) at the optimal time for peak acceleration. If I'm not mistaken it's 6500 RPM for 1st, 6800 RPM for 2nd, then redline for the rest. I could be mistaken by the actual numbers. I vaguely remember 1st and 2nd being earlier; there was a post with the actual RPMs listed somewhere...

Cornercarver

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I’ll try this out, I’ve looked through the settings and was unable to find anything. Thanks for the input ?
My '17 SI definitely had the multicolored shift lights on the gauge menu, just as my '18 FK8 does.
Of course there are the large red flashes on the corners dash when you hit the limit, no need to go into the menu for that.
if it helps, the icon is on the gauge menu that you access through the steering wheel control- not the regular touch screen menus you use for everything else. It should be in there if you rotate through the gauges. When you select it, you will just see a row of dots straight across the dash. I almost thought the one on my FK8 was not responding - until I realized I had not revved it high enough to start the light sequence, due to the higher limit of 7,000. Then once I was somewhere around 4,500 -5,000 it started its green to yellow to red sequence as I wound up the engine. Under that, nothing. let us know if you find it.
Sponsored