Shift improvement mod rankings?

Tags

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Audi A3 Quattro, 2020 Volkswagen Tiguan
Country flag
I have made a couple small mods to improve shift action on my '19 Si sedan: heavy knob (helps some), AMSOIL syncromesh (not as good as I was expecting), rev hang delete (I think it helped a lot but this is a controversial opinion).

Many small mods are less individually than they are in sum, I realize, but I'm curious what you all think about the effectiveness rank of remaining common mods:

-Cable bushings
-Base bushings
-Heavier spring
-Short shift plate
-CTR shifter assembly

Which would you prioritize, and in what order? The main outcome I'm looking for is increased crispness and mechanical positivity, not outright speed (which on this car doesn't seem compatible with syncro longevity). Thanks.
Sponsored

_.berr

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si
Country flag
I have made a couple small mods to improve shift action on my '19 Si sedan: heavy knob (helps some), AMSOIL syncromesh (not as good as I was expecting), rev hang delete (I think it helped a lot but this is a controversial opinion).

Many small mods are less individually than they are in sum, I realize, but I'm curious what you all think about the effectiveness rank of remaining common mods:

-Cable bushings
-Base bushings
-Heavier spring
-Short shift plate
-CTR shifter assembly

Which would you prioritize, and in what order? The main outcome I'm looking for is increased crispness and mechanical positivity, not outright speed (which on this car doesn't seem compatible with syncro longevity). Thanks.
If you're planning on doing that just get a short shifter from Acuity

ne0guri

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 White Orchid Pearl Civic Si Sedan
Country flag

-Cable bushings
-Base bushings
-Heavier spring
-Short shift plate
-CTR shifter assembly

Save money and get @ACUITY Adjustable Short Shifter.

OP
OP

Tags

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Save money and get @ACUITY Adjustable Short Shifter.
The one that's almost $500? Seems like I could do ALL the other mods on my list (which I'm not) for about $300. But I'm wondering what the low-hanging fruit is.

gatorcivic

First Name
Jordan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Hatchback Sport 6MT
Country flag
I did the Acuity Cable bushings, base bushings, and stronger centering spring at the same time. Overall it feels much more firm and centered. I'll say the improvment in feel comes from:
1- Shifter Bushings
2- Stronger centering spring
3- Base bushings
The two shifter bushings make a huge difference in terms of the sharpness and reduced play in the system. At first I thought the stronger centering spring might be too much, but after a day or two it became normal, I really have grown to like the stronger force pushing it back to center. The base bushings maybe make a difference, but cant say for sure. I think they would more make a difference when you push or pull the shifter all the way the whole assembly would move less. Im glad I did the base bushings since I was doing everything else and taking the entire center console apart. But if you are looking to save a little money you could probably skip the base bushings, for about the same price the centering spring makes a much better improvment in shifting feel. I highly reccomend the shifter bushings and stronger centering spring.

TypeSiR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1.5T Civic, Fit, MX-5, CTR
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
^^^ Same as above. Acuity cable bushings, centering spring, rocker, and base bushings.

amirza786

First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Polestar 2, 2010 Lexus IS 350 Sport
Country flag
I am surprised the Amsoil Synchromesh didn't make things smoother, for me it was the single most change that made the most difference. If you are referring to notchiness, unfortunately this is done on purpose and I think the only thing that would fix this is Acuity adjustable short shifter with a trick with a cable tie I saw on Youtube. The three things I did that made shifting better was Amsoil Synchromesh, Acuity Shifter Rocker upgrade (made the shifter tighter and the shift gate shorter) and the Mishimoto Carbon Fiber shift knob (to stop burning my hand on hot days!). I also changed the way I shift to allow the synchronizers more time to do their work which makes shifting much smoother

OP
OP

Tags

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I did the Acuity Cable bushings, base bushings, and stronger centering spring at the same time. Overall it feels much more firm and centered. I'll say the improvment in feel comes from:
1- Shifter Bushings
2- Stronger centering spring
3- Base bushings
The two shifter bushings make a huge difference in terms of the sharpness and reduced play in the system. At first I thought the stronger centering spring might be too much, but after a day or two it became normal, I really have grown to like the stronger force pushing it back to center. The base bushings maybe make a difference, but cant say for sure. I think they would more make a difference when you push or pull the shifter all the way the whole assembly would move less. Im glad I did the base bushings since I was doing everything else and taking the entire center console apart. But if you are looking to save a little money you could probably skip the base bushings, for about the same price the centering spring makes a much better improvment in shifting feel. I highly reccomend the shifter bushings and stronger centering spring.
Thanks! I was thinking cable bushings next, especially since they're the least intrusive to install...

OP
OP

Tags

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
^^^ Same as above. Acuity cable bushings, centering spring, rocker, and base bushings.
Rocker in third, eh? Good to know.

TypeSiR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1.5T Civic, Fit, MX-5, CTR
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Rocker in third, eh? Good to know.
Cable bushings aside, if you’re ripping open the center console, you might as well do all three. Cost layout is minor compared to other mods and the amount of enjoyment every time you drive.

OP
OP

Tags

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I am surprised the Amsoil Synchromesh didn't make things smoother, for me it was the single most change that made the most difference. If you are referring to notchiness, unfortunately this is done on purpose and I think the only thing that would fix this is Acuity adjustable short shifter with a trick with a cable tie I saw on Youtube. The three things I did that made shifting better was Amsoil Synchromesh, Acuity Shifter Rocker upgrade (made the shifter tighter and the shift gate shorter) and the Mishimoto Carbon Fiber shift knob (to stop burning my hand on hot days!). I also changed the way I shift to allow the synchronizers more time to do their work which makes shifting much smoother
It may be because I put in the AMSOIL so early -- at about 3,000 miles, before the old fluid started getting too worn?

My main beef is with the 1-2 shift for the first 15-20 minutes, even on moderate-temp days. At best I feel some scratch, no matter how slow or deliberate I shift. At worst there's a moment of cringe-inducing grindiness. The fluid just isn't warm enough to fully do its job. Switching to AMSOIL *maybe* helped a little but I honestly don't feel an appreciable difference at least in this one thing. Perhaps there are improvements in other areas of shifting -- I honestly can't remember anymore.

Also: the heavier knob makes shift-feel more positive but it also makes it a little harder to "feel" my way into second -- kind of lean on the gate until the syncros line up and the lever gets sucked into gear. The increased momentum of the 400g+ knob makes it want to slide right on through.

amirza786

First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Polestar 2, 2010 Lexus IS 350 Sport
Country flag
It may be because I put in the AMSOIL so early -- at about 3,000 miles, before the old fluid started getting too worn?

My main beef is with the 1-2 shift for the first 15-20 minutes, even on moderate-temp days. At best I feel some scratch, no matter how slow or deliberate I shift. At worst there's a moment of cringe-inducing grindiness. The fluid just isn't warm enough to fully do its job. Switching to AMSOIL *maybe* helped a little but I honestly don't feel an appreciable difference at least in this one thing. Perhaps there are improvements in other areas of shifting -- I honestly can't remember anymore.

Also: the heavier knob makes shift-feel more positive but it also makes it a little harder to "feel" my way into second -- kind of lean on the gate until the syncros line up and the lever gets sucked into gear. The increased momentum of the 400g+ knob makes it want to slide right on through.
I can't say this the same case as me, but I waited until I had 10K before changing out the OEM MT fluid. For me the shifting really sucked, it was extremely notchy in 1st to 2nd and 3rd to 4th and transmission performance was not that great. After changing out to Amsoil, shifting became smooth, the notchiness never completely went away but has been less pronounced. Hopefully for you it will smooth out over time

CVCTURBO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Sport 6M
Country flag
Absolutely get an @ACUITY short throw adapter and centering spring. It's literally like $100 for both and a great upgrade. Took about 45 mins for me to install. Definitely crispier!
Pics are stock vs upgrades

Honda Civic 10th gen Shift improvement mod rankings? 20190406_183545-COLLAGE

Honda Civic 10th gen Shift improvement mod rankings? 20190406_183212-COLLAGE

OP
OP

Tags

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
As a favor to an out-of-town buddy I test drove a 2004 Saab 9-5 Aero today. 1-2 shift felt like stirring butter with a rod of granite -- strong, thick, positive. No grinds, no clicks, no clunks. Not a hint of the what-will-happen-this-time anxiety that attends so many 1-2 shifts in the Si. In a way it's a relief, as I had almost begun to doubt what a normal shifter should feel like.

Yes, in every other way (except interior noises), the Si trounces the Saab like a new car should do to a 15-year-old car. But I don't get why engineering giant Honda can't just create a sturdy manual trans from the start.

WOPSiWOT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
As a favor to an out-of-town buddy I test drove a 2004 Saab 9-5 Aero today. 1-2 shift felt like stirring butter with a rod of granite -- strong, thick, positive. No grinds, no clicks, no clunks. Not a hint of the what-will-happen-this-time anxiety that attends so many 1-2 shifts in the Si. In a way it's a relief, as I had almost begun to doubt what a normal shifter should feel like.

Yes, in every other way (except interior noises), the Si trounces the Saab like a new car should do to a 15-year-old car. But I don't get why engineering giant Honda can't just create a sturdy manual trans from the start.
As some others above said, if you are that concerned with shifter feel then you probably aren't going to be happy unless you just go ahead and do the full Acuity short shifter. Spend the money, do it once, get what you want. You could also go for the CTR assembly and keep it on the cheap. I'm not sure if that would take you where you want or not. I've driven a CTR once and the shifting feel was excellent, but I also think that had to the with the entire transmission setup.
Sponsored