Shift Cable Change DIY?

Bri-Si

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R Aegean Blue Metallic
Country flag
Accidentally broke the retaining tab on the the gate change cable while installing an Acuity Shifter on my FK8. The cable sets in the shifter frame fine, but tends to rotate counter clockwise. I fabricated a temporary fix to keep the cable from rotating in the base, and the car drives and shifts fine, but I would really like to fix it permanently, so I'm looking for DIY directions to replace the shifter cables (Change Wires). I've searched the Forums here and also looked on Youtube but can't find any directions specific to the Type R. I've found older model Civic how to's on Youtube and that job appears to be pretty straight forward. Has anybody done this yet or know of a step by step on how to change the shifter cables? I've already purchased the cables and have them in hand, so if worse comes to worse I can always bring it to the dealership to be repaired.
Sponsored

phan10ms

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 CW Type R, '06 AP2 S2000
Country flag
I just did mine a little over a week ago. It's straight forward. You'll have to undo the bottom tray/shield, remove the heat-shield blocking the rubber grommet, and unbolt the exhaust at the mid section to drop it a bit so you can route the cables out and in. About a 2hr job.

Edit: I'm missing other details such as I had to remove other things that got in the way such as the battery, intake, intake tubing, and etc. If you're not mechanically inclined then I would suggest you take it to a professional.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Bri-Si

Bri-Si

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I just did mine a little over a week ago. It's straight forward. You'll have to undo the bottom tray/shield, remove the heat-shield blocking the rubber grommet, and unbolt the exhaust at the mid section to drop it a bit so you can route the cables out and in. About a 2hr job.

Edit: I'm missing other details such as I had to remove other things that got in the way such as the battery, intake, intake tubing, and etc. If you're not mechanically inclined then I would suggest you take it to a professional.
Perfect! Thank you for the quick overview. That's pretty much the same procedure I saw on Youtube for other, older Honda models. I've taken out the intake previously to change the trans fluid, so that won't be an issue. I'm not really looking forward to taking the console apart again, but the peace of mind from changing out the cables should make it worth it. Thanks again!

OP
OP
Bri-Si

Bri-Si

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Got it done! Pretty straightforward job as Phan10ms explained (much appreciated for the pointers!). The Acuity Short Shifter and Cable Bushing install guides walk you through about 3/4 of the job. It took me a bit longer because I inadvertently ran the shifter cables over the wire loom instead of under and didn't realize my mistake until I had connected the cables to the transmission, so I had to disconnect everything on the front end, reroute the cables and reconnect. In the process of taking care of that I dropped a C-Clip into the engine netherworld...twice, so I had to search for them. I also upgraded to Acuity cable bushings on the new cables, so shifts are silky smooth! The only thing that I would add is the need to wear long sleeves while messing with the heat shields. Those things are made of ninja blades. My arms are tore up!

Rayzorman1

I bleed Honda red.......
First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sport Touring Hatchback, 2019 Type R. 2021 CRV Black Edition
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Just had the same thing happen to me today in my FK7.
Accidentally broke the retaining tab on the the gate change cable while installing an Acuity Shifter on my FK8. The cable sets in the shifter frame fine, but tends to rotate counter clockwise. I fabricated a temporary fix to keep the cable from rotating in the base, and the car drives and shifts fine, but I would really like to fix it permanently, so I'm looking for DIY directions to replace the shifter cables (Change Wires). I've searched the Forums here and also looked on Youtube but can't find any directions specific to the Type R. I've found older model Civic how to's on Youtube and that job appears to be pretty straight forward. Has anybody done this yet or know of a step by step on how to change the shifter cables? I've already purchased the cables and have them in hand, so if worse comes to worse I can always bring it to the dealership to be repaired.
Since the cable guide sits fine in the shifter, I used a zip tie (2 actually) to anchor it to the shifter itself should the guide want to rotate counter clockwise and pop out.

zeppelin2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
Is it the exhaust front-pipe that needs to be dropped? And if so, which end needs to be undone?

Jambles

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si
Country flag

Since the cable guide sits fine in the shifter, I used a zip tie (2 actually) to anchor it to the shifter itself should the guide want to rotate counter clockwise and pop out.
Thanks for the tip, I was thinking about doing the same with zip ties because I managed to break both of the retaining clips on the cables but they sit fine in the shifter.

Dallas_FK8

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 type R
Country flag
Really hate that my first post is on an a old thread but I just installed my shifter and somehow the #8 clip in the diagram from Tim818 flew off and I can't find it. I have googled for the last hour and called the dealership but they have a different diagram. Can anyone help me find this to buy or the correct name? Or does anyone know where that diagram came from?

Again, please forgive me reviving a dead thread.

roro40p

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 TYPE R-11883
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag

Same thing happen to me today but I lefted like that ā€¦ did you take any pics by any chance ā€¦ donā€™t really want to take all that apart again but now Iā€™m worried Iā€™d might pop out

roro40p

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 TYPE R-11883
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Thanks for the tip, I was thinking about doing the same with zip ties because I managed to break both of the retaining clips on the cables but they sit fine in the shifter.
did you do the zip ties or did you just leave it like that ... I broke one and it seems fine does not seem to rotate nor move when I shift ... just worried it might pop out but wanted some feedback before I tear everything apart again

NHCivicGuy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 R
Country flag
I broke the retailing clip on my previous Si too. Never had any issues. I think I came up with something to make sure it stayed there if anything.

Last edited:

Rayzorman1

I bleed Honda red.......
First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sport Touring Hatchback, 2019 Type R. 2021 CRV Black Edition
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Same thing happen to me today but I lefted like that ā€¦ did you take any pics by any chance ā€¦ donā€™t really want to take all that apart again but now Iā€™m worried Iā€™d might pop out
Sorry man I donā€™t have any pics but itā€™s pretty clear where to put the zip tie. I donā€™t think it will pop out. The zip tie ewe just extra insurance.

MrHappy

First Name
Jovanny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
You could probably reference Acuity's video. Their method requires drilling holes and using zip ties though.

roro40p

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 TYPE R-11883
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
You could probably reference Acuity's video. Their method requires drilling holes and using zip ties though.

I have the shifter assembly though so I don't dink I could drill through it .... but I did contact Acuity and was told it should be fine because of the extra supports the shifter has, they said it would not move
Sponsored