Shaky ride when braking/coasting to a stop.

CarterB98

First Name
Carter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Coupe EX-T
Country flag
I’ve had this issue this past couple months where when I’m coming to a stop whether I braking or not, my car shakes a little. Almost feels like an ABS type of shaking. I only notice it when under 1000rpm. Just when I’m about to be fully stopped. Or if I let off the gas at slow speeds. Anybody know what could be the issue? If it’s helps at all, my civic only has 25k miles. Got my tires rotated to see if that was the issue, and to no prevail.
Sponsored

Pitt-Civ

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ford Explorer, 2020 Civic Hatch EX
Country flag
The car shakes, or the steering wheel?

If it's the wheel, most likely your rotors are warped.

If it's the car but not just the wheel, and you already rotated to tires (which if they checked them for balance during the rotation would rule them out), it's most likely something in your braking, or hub system maybe being loose.

OP
OP
CarterB98

CarterB98

First Name
Carter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
The car shakes, or the steering wheel?

If it's the wheel, most likely your rotors are warped.

If it's the car but not just the wheel, and you already rotated to tires (which if they checked them for balance during the rotation would rule them out), it's most likely something in your braking, or hub system maybe being loose.
I doubt they checked them for balance since I took it to jiffy lube haha. I was thinking it could have been a balancing issue. Might have to get that checked out

OP
OP
CarterB98

CarterB98

First Name
Carter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
We’re your rotors checked for warping?

I’ve also had some issues with sticking pads/calipers, could possibly be in that realm.
They were not. Would that be something to think about even with such a new car?

KOIVUN1

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Si CBP
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
They were not. Would that be something to think about even with such a new car?
it's certainly a possibility. my old xgen had warped rotors at 73k miles, the fronts had 15 thou runout (twice the max runout spec) and the rear had 12. i got the stop tech from rock auto, all pads and all rotors for 250$, worth it imo.

JasNeo

First Name
Jordan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Si Coupe
Country flag
I doubt they checked them for balance since I took it to jiffy lube haha. I was thinking it could have been a balancing issue. Might have to get that checked out
If it's only shaking when you're coming to a stop it's not going to be an issue with wheel balancing. If it was wheel balancing you'd feel it at high speeds, like 65+. Like others have stated it sounds like a brakes issue so I would get those checked out first

tacthecat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'12 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
A bad tire, thrown belt internally, may cause this. If it happens when NOT braking it's unlikely to be a warped rotor. If you have a CVT it's likely roughness in the transmission/control module - several people have mentioned this specifically when slowing, like it's trying to "shift" into a lower gear. AND, if i recall correctly, it was a warrany replacement item.

calonzo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Country flag
A bad tire, thrown belt internally, may cause this. If it happens when NOT braking it's unlikely to be a warped rotor. If you have a CVT it's likely roughness in the transmission/control module - several people have mentioned this specifically when slowing, like it's trying to "shift" into a lower gear. AND, if i recall correctly, it was a warrany replacement item.
That's what I was thinking too. Doesn't sound like a brake issue if it happens when not stepping on the brakes.

yansag1982

First Name
Yanick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Coupe Sport 6MT
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Does it still happen if you put the transmission in neutral and using only the brakes or nothing during the slowing down of the car/coasting?
Sponsored