Serious Dillemma: Is '16 worth $3500-4000 more than '15

Razer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda HR-V
Honda's biggest stumbles ever have been transmission based, but they were all traditional automatics. They had a bad run for several years of Accord, Civic and Odyssey with well known transmission issues. The CVT issue they had was easy to fix, software update and all is good. The traditional automatics were a ticking time bomb with no easy fix. Years and years of Ford Taurus with horrible traditional automatics. There were teething issues with CVT's in general early on but they are much more mature now and personally I'd take the CVT over the new horrible 9sp automatics that are having so much trouble in FCA cars like the new Renegade, Cherokee, and it's in the Honda/Acura TLX too on the v6 model. Run away from that tranny!

People then want a DCT transmission but they break a lot in many cars too, Ford tried one in the current Focus and it has been a nightmare for burning through clutch packs and they are now at least warrantying it to 100,000 miles at least. GTI breaks them a lot too and people complain about the low speed city driving feel of DCT. Honda has a decent one in the 8sp 4cyl TLX it seems but that is too expensive for the Civic at this point anyway.

So, am I worried about the CVT? Nope, I have one in my HR-V and it is working fine and it is my first. I used to HATE CVT transmissions due to having driven Nissan products with them but I am no okay with them after testing others. Anything can and will break so no use worrying about it. Guy I work with bought a new Accord a month ago and has had two accidents happen to it resulting in a newly pained bumper, then a rock came out of a lawnmower and dented door and broke side mirror. Old car he had for years and never had anything like that happen. Don't stress too much, this is supposed to be fun! :)

22k seems pretty high for a 16 LX, have you done some internet searches to see what other dealers have to offer? My local dealer never has the best prices so I get quotes from dealers nearby within reasonable driving distance via email and take those in and have them match. Try truecar, edmunds, or even cars.com. Once they know you have done your homework you will get less run around in pricing and even options. Worth the little bit of work on your part. I have 75 Civics around me at least (within 75 miles) and only 400 left of the 15's. Will not be long and better deals will be out there as inventory flows in. I'd think you could get an EX for 22k pretty soon anyway.
Sponsored

OP
OP

2006civic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 civic coupe
Country flag
Thanks for the post. Remember, the price I keep getting quoted is just over 20, but its 22 with tax, title, and license. Just wanted to make sure you understood that.

hondo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Civic Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
We started car shopping recently and the 15 Civic wasn't even on our list. The Mazda 3 and the new CX-3 were better alternatives. It was only after seeing the news about the new 16 Civic did we consider getting another Civic. In terms of compact cars, the 16 Civic and the Mazda 3 are the only ones that I would even consider if you want something with decent acceleration and handling.

mvance30

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 si
why is everyone up in arms about the cvt? doesnt the 9th gen autos have cvts anyway?

mvance30

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 si
We started car shopping recently and the 15 Civic wasn't even on our list. The Mazda 3 and the new CX-3 were better alternatives. It was only after seeing the news about the new 16 Civic did we consider getting another Civic. In terms of compact cars, the 16 Civic and the Mazda 3 are the only ones that I would even consider if you want something with decent acceleration and handling.
cx3 is too small for a lot of people on the inside. the mazda3 has more room. I used to work at Mazda and now work at Honda. Considering I'm not a "honda guy" I would pick a civic over a mazda3. Theres only a few reasons I would pick the mazda over a civic. Looks (current 3 vs 9th gen) and manuals being offered in more trims besides base.

hondo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Civic Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
cx3 is too small for a lot of people on the inside
I agree. We initially checked out the cx3 but found it cramped. The 3 is a great car, but I think the new civic has it beat on many areas and overall.

H_P

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'11 Si
why is everyone up in arms about the cvt? doesnt the 9th gen autos have cvts anyway?
Because CVT transmissions have traditionally been bad. But also because most people haven't the one in the new Civic. Everyone here who has driven one or owns one has nothing but good things to say about it. The one in the CivicX is not like most CVT out there.

civvie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
civic
Read the reviews of the 9th gen Civic when it came out and compare to the 10th gen Civic ones and it's pretty clear to me that it's worth it. And anyways it shouldn't cost you $4000 more to get into a 2016 model (it doesn't even cost that much more right now). Just wait a couple of months and that gap will close to almost negligible if you shop around enough.

shora

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Subaru Forester; 2009 Honda Fit
Hit and run? Did your insurance cut you a check for the cars value or did you not have full coverage?

If it were me, since the car has been drivable and reliable do the oil and transmission fluid drain/ fill. Should only cost you around $100.00 (materials cost $50 retail) to have both done and keep driving the car for another 6 months. I'm hoping that the civic will be available at invoice or below sometime in early January.

I would have bought the 16 civic by now too but can't bring myself to pay even close to msrp on a mass produced vehicle. I've paid below invoice on all my brand new Hondas so will wait till the prices drop or buy something else.
Just came back from from a dealer that I've purchased from before and my family has purchased from 3 additional times. Test drove the exact model I'm considering 2016/ EX/ Honda sensing.

Probably the most comfortable Honda I've ever driven. The seats, driving position, and the arm rest are perfect perfect perfect.

So well done it puts my 2009 Fit, 2010 Fit Sport, and my brothers 2012 Civic to shame. Different segment, but much more comfortable than my 2014 Forester too. The pilots and the Odysseys in the family are too different to compare.

Didn't feel sporty but wouldn't really want it/ need it to since I will be buying it for the wife anyway (hence the 2.0 and not the turbo). I also didn't punch it or push it hard and just enjoyed the cruz. Didn't even hear the cvt and I was paying attention to it but kept the rpms low.

Best price I was offered after all the purchasing we have done with this dealer? $1,500.00 ABOVE MSRP. Yup, they still have 202 2015 civics on the lot and have zero interest in doing anything even remotely fair on the 2016s. Either they make a killing on the 2016s for those with more money than brains, no shortage of them, or they push you on the 2015s.

The manager even came out to apologies to me and stated that he really doesn't want to lose my business but that he was being honest and has to sell the civics at the rate offered due to current inventory/ demand. It was nice to hear some honesty instead of some lie.

The car really is great, we'll wait till January and see if the prices drop to the levels I'm used to for Honda or I may end up in something else.

dick w

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Civic Sedan Touring, '18 CR-V Touring AWD
Country flag
Shop around. If you find a "good enough" deal, nothing stops you from going back to the guy who you'd rather buy it from and asking him to earn your business. His 2015 inventory is not your problem.

Whoosh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FJ Cruiser
Best price I was offered after all the purchasing we have done with this dealer? $1,500.00 ABOVE MSRP. Yup, they still have 202 2015 civics on the lot and have zero interest in doing anything even remotely fair on the 2016s. Either they make a killing on the 2016s for those with more money than brains, no shortage of them, or they push you on the 2015s.

The manager even came out to apologies to me and stated that he really doesn't want to lose my business but that he was being honest and has to sell the civics at the rate offered due to current inventory/ demand. It was nice to hear some honesty instead of some lie.

The car really is great, we'll wait till January and see if the prices drop to the levels I'm used to for Honda or I may end up in something else.
No need to wait until January. There's owners here who are already buying the car for $1000-1500 off MSRP. And that was 2 weeks ago. Shop around in your area you're sure to find something similar. No need to be loyal to your dealer if they're not showing loyalty to you.

CivicTouring

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring, 2014 Ram 1500, 2016 Harley Ultra Limited
Thanks for the feedback guys.

To answer some of the questions. The 22 out the door was for the LX, 100 below MSRP.

I had just removed my collision insurance three months prior, so insurance is not paying a penny. I am out the entire value of the car. That was the real kick in the gut with regard to this situation.

The prices I am comparing are both LX on 15 and 16. I dont want to go higher given my finances.

On an unrelated note, my only disappointment with my current car is having the fold down release lever for the back seat in the trunk. If your trunk wont open (which is the case for me) you are in real trouble. I have my golf clubs in there. Also, if my tail light or brake light goes out, i'm toast, because i need to get in the trunk to fix it. The dealership told me it could take several hours to get the seat down without access to the lever, and that's big money, and another variable in this situation.
removed the post I did not see the first post that it was a hit and run.
Sponsored