First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic 2009
Country flag
Hi,

I am looking for a new sedans/hatchback and we have tried different cars. Reliability is important for us since we like to keep my cars for 8-10 years. I've owned some Mazda, Toyota, Nissan and Honda cars over the years. Civic is our first choice but I am a bit concern about long term reliability. Here are my impressions after trying some sedans and hatchback, feel free to comment :

Civic LX
Pros : Handling, seats comfort is A+, versatile center console, style
Cons : CVT is not the best at faking the change of speed, reliability becomes questionable (Ex. : AC, soft paint) so not sure it will last 10 years

Nissan Sentra SV
Pros : Interior/exterior design is A+, Electric blue color is offered :), good acceleration, CVT simulated shifts seems good
Cons : Headrest leaning forward way too much and uncomfortable specially for short people, multiple rotation of the steering wheel is needed when parking or doing a u-turn, new platform reliability is questionable, depreciation.

Elantra GT Prefered (2.0L)
Pros : Damn fun to drive, precise steering, engine is peppy and sounds great even if busy when pushing it, really quiet engine when cruising, cargo space
Cons : Really cheap sound system, suspension is on the stiff side so could be uncomfortable for long ride, might not last 10 years, depreciation

Kia Forte EX
Pros : Cheap to buy, full equipped
Cons : Ugly front design, stiff suspension, reliability at that price, depreciation!

Corolla SE (2.0L)
Pros : Proven reliability, low depreciation, good acceleration, nice exterior design, sound system sounds great
Cons : Too expensive for what it offers (2L engine is standard at other manufacturer), somewhat cheap interior for the price, space feels like in a Yaris, center console is one of worst on the market (small, really cheap plastic, tiny cup holder)

Impreza
Pros : Japan quality, low depreciation, deluxe interior
Cons : Snobby dealers reps who don't seem to know their car specs and pretending they are the best, design has not changed much over the years, ride quality-handling-acceleration are acceptable but nothing to cheers about compare to Honda.
Sponsored

Joe1986

Banned
First Name
joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda
Hi,

I am looking for a new sedans/hatchback and we have tried different cars. Reliability is important for us since we like to keep my cars for 8-10 years. I've owned some Mazda, Toyota, Nissan and Honda cars over the years. Civic is our first choice but I am a bit concern about long term reliability. Here are my impressions after trying some sedans and hatchback, feel free to comment :

Civic LX
Cons : CVT is not the best at faking the change of speed, reliability becomes questionable (Ex. : AC, soft paint) so not sure it will last 10 years

Nissan Sentra SV
Pros : Interior/exterior design is A+, Electric blue color is offered :), good acceleration, CVT simulated shifts seems good
Cons : Headrest leaning forward way too much and uncomfortable specially for short people, multiple rotation of the steering wheel is needed when parking or doing a u-turn, new platform reliability is questionable, depreciation.

Elantra GT Prefered (2.0L)
Pros : Damn fun to drive, precise steering, engine is peppy and sounds great even if busy when pushing it, really quiet engine when cruising, cargo space
Cons : Really cheap sound system, suspension is on the stiff side so could be uncomfortable for long ride, might not last 10 years, depreciation

Kia Forte EX
Pros : Cheap to buy, full equipped
Cons : Ugly front design, stiff suspension, reliability at that price, depreciation!

Corolla SE (2.0L)
Pros : Proven reliability, low depreciation, good acceleration, nice exterior design, sound system sounds great
Cons : Too expensive for what it offers (2L engine is standard at other manufacturer), somewhat cheap interior for the price, space feels like in a Yaris, center console is one of worst on the market (small, really cheap plastic, tiny cup holder)

Impreza
Pros : Japan quality, low depreciation, deluxe interior
Cons : Snobby dealers reps who don't seem to know their car specs and pretending they are the best, design has not changed much over the years, ride quality-handling-acceleration are acceptable but nothing to cheers about compare to Honda.
Get the elentra

Shred

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic Type R
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
If you're keeping it for ten years, deprecation should probably be lower priority no? By the time you've had it for ten years, none of them are going to be worth very much, unless you have very low miles but even then it's a ten year old car and who knows how the market will look at the model by then.

The Corolla is the safest bet to last the full 10 years worry free. In reality any of them will make it to 10 years, the current average in the US is a little under 12 years so it might be a little less in Canada but it can't be that much worse. The Corolla will have the least headaches. Probably will also be the most boring of them all, but it will get you from A to B will minimal maintenance.

OP
OP

SuperBob

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic 2009
Country flag
If you're keeping it for ten years, deprecation should probably be lower priority no? By the time you've had it for ten years, none of them are going to be worth very much, unless you have very low miles but even then it's a ten year old car and who knows how the market will look at the model by then.
If for some reason something goes wrong and I need to sell the car after let's say 3 years, then depreciation matters.

The Corolla is the safest bet to last the full 10 years worry free. In reality any of them will make it to 10 years, the current average in the US is a little under 12 years so it might be a little less in Canada but it can't be that much worse. The Corolla will have the least headaches. Probably will also be the most boring of them all, but it will get you from A to B will minimal maintenance.
I own two cars presently, a Mazda 2010 GT and a Honda Civic 2009. The Mazda is getting sick suddenly (Issue with back wheel bearings, back dampers plates are knocking, back break are sticky, evap leak) and the Honda with its white hair (clear coat lightly peeling) is laughing at it. Yeah they all can make to 10 years but in which condition?

Corolla indeed. I could try to get the hatchback or Sedan SE to make it a bit more enjoyable. But damn they are expensive and really hard to negotiate.

Regarding the Civic which I like very much, I had a talk with a friend who is a mechanic working at Honda. He is discouraging me from buying the new Civic. They fixed a lot of issues (struts failing, AC condenser, entertainment system..) after 2018 but some are still present (Ex. : back break wearing quickly). He recommended me to buy a 9th gen Civic for their high reliability. But I need the Apple care Play.

The choice will be difficult.

NixChixFix

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
Echoing what Shred said above, after 8-10 years depreciation should be the least of your worries. The difference in value between our 2004 Toyota Camry and 2004 Audi A4 when we sold it in 2016 was about $100. Not worth thinking about, if again, you're trying to go the distance. Both were in perfect running condition, minor interior marks, but nothing major.

Corolla or Civic will probably be your best choice. The Subaru boxers are (were?) known for not being able to last too long past 100k without major maintenance. Nissan CVT is a roll of the die of when it'll die on you. Can't speak too much on the Elantra or the Kia, but when I took a look at the Hyundai Veloster, I felt really unimpressed by the interior.

charleswrivers

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 Odyssey, '94 300zx, 2001 F-150
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
On the Hyundai front... I never think they’re a great pick new due to their wild depreciation personally. Used they can be a decent deal. I did a quick search and saw piles of 2019s for $12-15k for the GTs. I also don’t think they age very well... but having one a few years and flipping it some something else if it wears on you isn’t bad when you get in a year to two old one for 2/3 it’s new cost since someone else ate the depreciation. My one Tibby V6 I got was 2 years old and $11k with 15k miles. I flipped it 6 months later since it didn’t grow on me for what I paid for it. I’ve looked at several others that were 1/3 to 1/2 off new cost that were only 2-4 years old. Really. Their depreciation is wild. Makes for some cheap, late model options.

Nissan as a brand is in rough shape. They have been making CVTs in cars a long while... their Sentras have had them for well over a decade. I recall test driving both a Sentra and Altima around ‘07... and both had them... and I thought they were ok, just not my preference.

I’d never buy an NA Impreza. I’ve rented one and had a guy work for me that had one. It’s just... well... the damn turbo that makes the car what it’s supposed to be is missing.

Corolla is a good car. If you hate it... then you’ll hate it forever because barring running it into a tree from boredom or refusing to maintain it... it will just keep running with you hating it the whole time. If you don’t like it... pass.

You seem to like the Civic. The paint does suck. Honda’s paint has sucked for years. Manual might be more fun and alleviate concerns about a CVT but that doesn’t seem to be something you’re considering.

Personally... I’d get a year old Elantra GT for ~1/3 off. If it works like it used to... their 10/100000 warranty converted to 5/60000 on a used one unless you got a CPO. Still better than most others. If you get rid of it before your 10 year goal... that’s 5000-7500 you didn’t eat to get into one. But that’s me... from what I take as your preference... and from my previous experience buying a cheap used Hyundai... trying it... hating it soon after... and not losing any money in the deal... and from the used prices near me after a glance on Autotrader.

Shred

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic Type R
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
If for some reason something goes wrong and I need to sell the car after let's say 3 years, then depreciation matters.

I own two cars presently, a Mazda 2010 GT and a Honda Civic 2009. The Mazda is getting sick suddenly (Issue with back wheel bearings, back dampers plates are knocking, back break are sticky, evap leak) and the Honda with its white hair (clear coat lightly peeling) is laughing at it. Yeah they all can make to 10 years but in which condition?

Corolla indeed. I could try to get the hatchback or Sedan SE to make it a bit more enjoyable. But damn they are expensive and really hard to negotiate.

Regarding the Civic which I like very much, I had a talk with a friend who is a mechanic working at Honda. He is discouraging me from buying the new Civic. They fixed a lot of issues (struts failing, AC condenser, entertainment system..) after 2018 but some are still present (Ex. : back break wearing quickly). He recommended me to buy a 9th gen Civic for their high reliability. But I need the Apple care Play.

The choice will be difficult.
Well yes if you sell it sooner deprecation will matter more but you're planning to keep it for ten years I thought? Which is of higher importance for you?

Also I didn't say the car would be totally trouble free after ten years, just that more cars are getting to that point in much better conditions that previously. Your engine and transmission in that Mazda are probably in good condition. The other problems are problematic, but overall less detrimental to say your tranny needing a rebuild. What exactly do you mean about the back brake on the Civic wearing quickly?

It looks like you like the Civic though, I wouldn't say it is a bad bet to get and you will enjoy it so that can help mitigate mental anguish of issues if you enjoy the car you're driving.

OP
OP

SuperBob

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic 2009
Country flag
Well yes if you sell it sooner deprecation will matter more but you're planning to keep it for ten years I thought? Which is of higher importance for you?
I will keep for 10 IF things go well (mechanically sound, low maintenance, no annoying rattles). Otherwise I will have to get rid of it sooner.

....What exactly do you mean about the back brake on the Civic wearing quickly?
The dealership replace frequently the back brakes under warranty. Basically, the rotors and pads are too thin for the job and the quality is questionable. The brake are "rotting out" quickly as he said.

NoelPR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21' Ridgeline RTL-E (Thanks to the CTR markups)
Country flag
Civic with the 2.0lt engine or Corolla SE with the 2.0lt
Forget about Nissan and their unreliable cvt.

MaxPower

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si sedan ABM, 2017 CR-V EX, formerly 2005 Saab 9-2x, 1986 Prelude Si
Country flag
I think all of those options are likely to make it to 10 years without catastrophic failure. Since you plan to live with the car for a decade, I'd suggest making your decision based on the driving experience, and whichever comfort/convenience features are important to you. No one wants to live with a boring/uncomfortable/ill-equipped car for such a long period of time.

Is this the rear brake issue you're referring to? If so, seems like it's been addressed. I don't see a lot of complaints about the issue on this forum. AC, yes, but not the rear brakes. imo, it's not a serious enough concern to rule out a Civic.

Civic LX
Can you elaborate on this, and why it's a con for you? I've read some complaints about the CVT in the Civic, but this is not one of them
Sponsored