Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 S2000 Roadster, 2019 Civic Type R, 2020 Supra
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
So in swapping out my engine with a fully built new engine I have a 19 k20c1 with 5k miles on it. I’ve seen 17’s on eBay sell for 6500-7500 (30-40k miles) and in some cases more $.

Would you sell the motor and if so what is fair market for a basically just broken in engine with 5k miles on it? I have no idea honestly what to ask for it or if I keep it, I highly doubt I’d ever return the car to stock as far as I’ve taken it and I’ve pondered selling off all my OEM parts and enjoying the car and if the time ever comes it would definitely be a private sale not a trade in situation. Would love to have someone with experience in this areas advice?

Also parts like ECU, OEM clutch and flywheel, exhaust, wheels and tires, body parts, etc.

I’m collecting so many parts just stored away and I am beginning to wonder why I don’t just sell them all?

Any solid advice is truly appreciated.

I’ll likely list everything the 1st of spring March 1 timeframe. Maybe sooner depending on the market. The motor can be used in multiple applications so it has appeal to several platforms.
Sponsored

Last edited:

dwag0588

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 CW CTR, 2014 Mazda CX-5, 2006 NC Miata, 2018 Silverado 5.3 (work)
Country flag
Keep it in case you blow up the highly modded engine?

GotCTR?

Banned
Banned
First Name
JOHN BOY
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CTR 2020
Country flag
how you break your engine lol

OP
OP
MoTeC R

MoTeC R

Slow For Show
First Name
Smally
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Keep it in case you blow up the highly modded engine?
The fully built engine is good for 1200hp, there’s no worries of that. I am just getting to the point where I feel like I have 1/4 of a car in storage.

Masmackles

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
Couldn't tell you what price you'd be looking at but if your not going to go back stock why not sell the OEM stuff?

Extra tire money as I assume you shred through them on built engine lol

Shred

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic Type R
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Maybe someone on here looking to upgrade their base 2.0 MT? Looks like you'd have a lot of the parts they'd need. Just a thought. That's probably a rabbit you don't want to chase but they are always looking for more and could be a fun build to follow.

disgraced.fk8

IG: @break_ya_neck_fk7
First Name
Drew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Boost Blue Type R
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Maybe someone on here looking to upgrade their base 2.0 MT? Looks like you'd have a lot of the parts they'd need. Just a thought. That's probably a rabbit you don't want to chase but they are always looking for more and could be a fun build to follow.
Dude, a swap into a 2.0 coupe would be wild.

chattanoogaR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Stinger
Country flag
There are a good deal of long blocks available right now, and yes they are listed at 6-7k, but that seems unrealistic as to what one would actually sell for.

I'd say around $5k would be realistic, and the market for buyers is extremely small.

OP
OP
MoTeC R

MoTeC R

Slow For Show
First Name
Smally
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
There are a good deal of long blocks available right now, and yes they are listed at 6-7k, but that seems unrealistic as to what one would actually sell for.

I'd say around $5k would be realistic, and the market for buyers is extremely small.
I’ve been seeing them sell on multiple places but they are always 2017 with many more miles. It’s harder to push the 30-40k mileage sell for more than 5k for a complete engine but they still sell in that range. There’s always buyers out there. It’s just something I’m considering and no 2109 with 5k miles <> $5k with a 17 with 6-8x the miles not selling for less than 6500. From what I’ve seen. Some have went above 7500. I’d let it sit forever for $5k.

There’s some 2018 from Germany for $8900-9500 shipped with similar Miles

So the primary question is would a new owner if I ever went to sell even want all the original parts or not. I think not once they drove mine plus the added cost of buying all the OEM also off me. At a later date. I am beginning to think to sell since this engine is or can be functional in multiple vehicles not just Gen X or IX.

My car is garaged and not driven in rain or snow. I would eat steak and eggs off my engine bay.

chattanoogaR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Stinger
Country flag
My car is garaged and not driven in rain or snow. I would eat steak and eggs off my engine bay.
That only makes yours worth slightly more if you can find someone who wants to pay for having a good "story" behind it. (if you found a forum member interested etc.) If you go the traditional retail way, people are not going to be as interested in that and just want the best price they can get.

For example, one of the better trafficked sites for engines is eBay, and I'm sure you know you'll lose 10-15% to fees, and more than likely someone is going to want it shipped.

I would not want to deal with shipping on something this heavy, you are looking at freight weight.

If you get lucky you can find someone who will come pick it up in person and pay cash and not deal with any of the headache. (which is why I listed $5k as a reasonable price, they get a reasonable price, and you don't get the extra annoyance)

ian408

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Type R Sonic
Country flag
Check the cost of a remanufactured engine and base you price on that. Remember that engines come in short or long blocks. Read the description and decide which yours is first.

TheGreekFreak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 BB CTR, '23 SO 4Runner TRD Pro
Country flag
$5-6K for a Type R engine with 5K miles seems pretty reasonable to me. Although I remember the crate engine price from Honda being under $7K brand new but you had to prove it was for racing applications or something to buy it.