JJFK8CTR

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Evo X, 2009 WRX STi, 2017 Civic Type R
Hi everybody,

In line to get a 2017 CTR, dealer says minimum wait is till June! Anyways, this will be track toy so wanted to lighten it up and attack it with a top-down approach. How difficult is it to replace the OEM roof with the Seibon Dry Carbon Roof? Labor, down time??
Sponsored

a c i d.f l y

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic EX 2.0 CVT Sedan w Sensing
Country flag
Hi everybody,

In line to get a 2017 CTR, dealer says minimum wait is till June! Anyways, this will be track toy so wanted to lighten it up and attack it with a top-down approach. How difficult is it to replace the OEM roof with the Seibon Dry Carbon Roof? Labor, down time??
I'd definitely advise replacing by ease of installation first. Meaning the hood first, trunk second. You'll get the most weight loss from hood (I believe it was around 14lbs). Roof is one of the most labor intensive. You can do the hood and trunk and most of the other external panels yourself.

OP
OP

JJFK8CTR

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I'd definitely advise replacing by ease of installation first. Meaning the hood first, trunk second. You'll get the most weight loss from hood (I believe it was around 14lbs). Roof is one of the most labor intensive. You can do the hood and trunk and most of the other external panels yourself.
Thanks! I plan to do those as well. Already placed the order for the dry carbon hood and trunk from Seibon. Wanted to do the roof as well for maximum impact and an overall black-on-white look. I am not an expert and after seeing a carbon roof replacement video, I am not doing it myself. Would be great if somebody suggests a reputable in the Dallas area for this job. Thanks in advance!

UFO CTR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 CTR#1348
Country flag
Hi everybody,

I would consider the "delta" in weight first, as I bet it is very involving to switch out the roofs. If the difference is 1 or 2 lbs, then may not be worth the trouble. But the concept of skimming weight from top down is solid, as that's the easiest way to shift the COG (center of gravity) down.

OP
OP

JJFK8CTR

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I would consider the "delta" in weight first, as I bet it is very involving to switch out the roofs. If the difference is 1 or 2 lbs, then may not be worth the trouble. But the concept of skimming weight from top down is solid, as that's the easiest way to shift the COG (center of gravity) down.
Makes sense but do you know anyway I can find the weight of the OEM roof panel. Tried Googling but nothing came up definitive. Also does anybody know about any dry carbon front fenders wider than OEM like +20mm or something. Seibon ones are wet carbon with no widening!! All the help appreciated. Thanks!

UFO CTR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 CTR#1348
Country flag
That will be tough...if we know what gauge thickness (I'm assuming 18ga or 0.048") and weight of 2.15 lbs/sq.ft, we can calc the rough weight:
Approx WT ~ (4.5')(3.75')(2.15 psf) ~ 36 lbs. Close enough? :dunno:

EDIT: I think our CTR's pulls 1.08g, so this equates to 1.08(36 lbs) ~ 39 lbs of lateral load at top of car.

childishthing

Chief Hamster Wrangler
First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si (sold), 2018 Civic Type R (sold), 2020 Civic Si (current)
Country flag
2-3 days for someone with the right tools, including time for the glue to cure. Prep and glass removal, roof swap, put glass back in. Not something I'd try myself, but I would trust most body shops to do this for me.

I would like to do this (for aesthetics mostly) but maintaining dry carbon fiber is not for me. I much prefer the look and maintenance of wet carbon, but you don't get nearly the same weight savings.
Sponsored