First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic Type R
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
So my sister is very likely going to pick up a Civic hatch or sedan soon as her first car. I've been letting her drive my hatch around so she can get a feel for the car in general. Most of it has been positive, but one thing she mentioned was the rear windshield feels a bit tiny. Not a deal breaking thing, just an observation she had and it got me thinking. I did some searching but I can't find any detailed measurements from Honda for the 10th Gen.

Does anyone who might have driven both a sedan and hatch have any input? Obviously one might be bigger on paper but feel smaller in use. Thanks in advance!
Sponsored

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Ultimately, I bought the EX-L sedan, but really wanted the hatch. But during my test drive, rear visibility and over the shoulder visibility were much worse than the sedan.

Not only does the rear window seem noticeably smaller inside, the humongous C pillars create a huge blind spot. For me anyway, that was the deal breaker. I live in a highly congested area with aggressive drivers and need all the visibility I can get.

A lot of the pro reviews mentioned this as well. This snippet is from CNET's Roadshow review:
The Civic Hatch Sport kicks off the driving experience with a great first impression. Forward visibility is excellent, due in part to a driver's seat with a wide range of height adjustability. Rearward visibility is lacking, thanks to the hatch -- the rear window is small, and the C-pillars are massive, which doesn't do blind spots any favors.

Last edited:

RufflesSCO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Honda Civic LX Hatchback
Country flag
Get her to test drive the Mazda 3 hatch a few times so that she will be grateful when she gets back into the Civic hatch lol

Curtman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
adfdsfdsf
Vehicle Showcase
I never drove the hatch but the rear visibility in the sedan is not good.

dsegel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Pilot, 2020 Civic Hatchback Sport Touring MT6
Country flag
I've had both, the sedan is definitely better in clear weather, but in rain or snow the hatch has a rear wiper to clear the window whereas the sedan does not. I have the hatch now and prefer it for other reasons; the lesser rear view wasn't enough to make me get a sedan again. You still have the backup camera and can see cars behind you at night because of their lights. I guess I just don't think the extra visibility adds much for me.

Maroco

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Honda civic lx 2020 civic si
Country flag
I've had both, the sedan is definitely better in clear weather, but in rain or snow the hatch has a rear wiper to clear the window whereas the sedan does not. I have the hatch now and prefer it for other reasons; the lesser rear view wasn't enough to make me get a sedan again. You still have the backup camera and can see cars behind you at night because of their lights. I guess I just don't think the extra visibility adds much for me.
This.

OP
OP
Shred

Shred

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic Type R
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Thanks guys! Yeah the visibility isn't bad overall, especially compared to the Mazda C-Pillar 3 lol, I just wanted to see if this was at all a valid criticism. I couldn't give her a proper answer without asking as I have no frame of reference, having never driven the sedan. The backup cam makes most of it a moot point in the end.

I have no problem, but I also have all the seats and mirrors adjusted to myself but I asked her not to redo my settings after the first drive where she basically undid everything. Having to redo my mirrors and seats a couple of times a week would drive me nuts. I know that bit will come up again with the wife when I get married but that's another day's fight lol.

coopermidnight

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 FK8
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
The only visibility problem I have in the hatch is the C pillar on the passenger side. In very select situations, it's a brick wall. For pretty much all of my driving it's a non-issue, but if I'm not angled correctly when waiting to pull out into traffic on my right side it can be a major pain.

Mae22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Hatch Sport Touring Aegean Blue Metallic
Country flag
I have no issues with rear visibility, and no blind spot with my hatch. The key is positioning the side mirrors properly - you shouldn't come even close to seeing the side of your own car in in the side mirrors. Most people don't have them adjusted correctly, which makes blind spots a big problem. I also love the rear wiper on the hatch. Yes, you see the rear spoiler across the rear window, but after a couple of days you stop "seeing" it.

shleeunit

First Name
Ashley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic hatchback sport touring
Country flag
I don’t know if anyone else finds this, but I feel like my visibility especially in low light sucks in the hatch. I don’t know if it’s because it is auto dimmed?? I find it way too dark

KYBubblehead

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Sports Touring
Country flag
I don’t know if anyone else finds this, but I feel like my visibility especially in low light sucks in the hatch. I don’t know if it’s because it is auto dimmed?? I find it way too dark
I have the hatch and haven't found a down side. It has a back-up camera, a wiper and tons of room.

PEPSIFLAME

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Honda Civic EX Hatchback
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Living in one of the largest US cities, with aggressive terrible drivers, the hatch isn't an issue. Adjust your mirrors or get convex mirrors and you're golden.
Sponsored