Sedan vs Coupe Production

DjinTonic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Coupe Touring, silver.
Country flag
Has anyone seen 2016 production figures (or sales) broken down by sedan vs coupe? I was under the impression that coupes were about 20% (before the HB came out), but I came across an article written when the coupe came out saying Honda expected coupes to account for about 10% of sales.
Sponsored

Newflyer3

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
I believe Honda consolidates them due to the sedan, coupe and hatch being similar in price and therefore part of the sale Cash Generating Unit for accounting purposes.

OP
OP
DjinTonic

DjinTonic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Coupe Touring, silver.
Country flag
I believe Honda consolidates them due to the sedan, coupe and hatch being similar in price and therefore part of the sale Cash Generating Unit for accounting purposes.
Yes, which is why I've seen only the merged sales numbers by month but no breakdown by model.

syncro87

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Civic sedan EX-T, '18 Prius Two, '09 Scion xB, '88 R100RT
Country flag
Has anyone seen 2016 production figures (or sales) broken down by sedan vs coupe? I was under the impression that coupes were about 20% (before the HB came out), but I came across an article written when the coupe came out saying Honda expected coupes to account for about 10% of sales.

I would also be interested to see the actual data.

Ten percent coupe seems about right. Anecdotally, I see plenty of sedans on the road, and few Civic coupes. This includes the last generation cars. I would expect the hatch to outsell the coupe. Coupes, due to their relative lack of versatility, appeal to a relatively small audience. History is chock full of coupes that no longer are produced. GM, for example, used to sell hundreds of thousands of coupes a year (Monte, Cutlass, Riviera, Toronado, etc). None of them still around, and they were huge sellers once upon a time. You could get a Camry two door years ago, and a Jetta two door. Both long gone. Hyundai tried it recently with the Elantra, but I think it's gone now and was a short lived experiment.

The overall market shift toward SUVs has hurt sedans significantly, and has just about made coupes extinct. I wouldn't be surprised if the coupe is gone when the 11th gen Civic comes along someday.
Sponsored