@thatblu_si

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Aegean Blue 2019 Honda Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
See, that right there is one of those things I don't understand. I can see someone messing up a drain plug. You know? Some young, cocky kid, trying to beat the flat rate system or working as a lube tech straight outa high school at one of those shops that routinely hires and fires people like that. And I know some body shops that hire "young and dumb" also, but who the heck does not take their time with a seat belt? I get nervous thinking about the rage from a customer who gets sold the wrong head light bulb, imagine the dude comming in because you failed to make sure his seat belt was in right? no thank you.
Imagine the dude not being able to come in because his seat belt failed in the event of a collision, that's what was scaring me the absolute most about this whole situation.
Sponsored

OP
OP
@thatblu_si

@thatblu_si

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
If that surprises you you'd be terrified by some of the stuff I've seen as an aircraft mech.
Oh I know exactly what you me, I'm a pneumatic tech at an MRO in Miami and I see some scary shit that comes off planes

OP
OP
@thatblu_si

@thatblu_si

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Here are the photos of the bolt that was left loose. Point of all this is always keep an eye of safety equipment after taking your car to a body shop lol if you get your car used you will also probably benefit from doing a once over of your safety equipment

Honda Civic 10th gen Seat belt broke... 20210413_204738

Honda Civic 10th gen Seat belt broke... 20210413_204750

arpypat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Here are the photos of the bolt that was left loose. Point of all this is always keep an eye of safety equipment after taking your car to a body shop lol
So was your car in a body shop for repairs recently? Or was this a bolt left loose by Honda from when you purchased the vehicle?

bcrichster

First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Sport 2.0L, 1998 Civic LX D16-MiniMe
Country flag
Yea anything SRS related if lifetime warranty. I work at Honda so I'm trying to see how I get it done. But it's concerning still. Like if it failed this time what about the next. I'm thinking about getting the bolt welded in place after it's fixed
Suggestion: use a Drill and a good Helicoil kit.. then maybe spot weld the bolt after tightening down.

OP
OP
@thatblu_si

@thatblu_si

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
So was your car in a body shop for repairs recently? Or was this a bolt left loose by Honda from when you purchased the vehicle?
It's was left loose by the body shop about a year ago when I got into a car accident

OP
OP
@thatblu_si

@thatblu_si

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Suggestion: use a Drill and a good Helicoil kit.. then maybe spot weld the bolt after tightening down.
The master tech at my job said the threads on the chassis are fine That he just needs to run a tap through it. And as for the bolt I'll just be replacing it. I also toyed with the idea of spot welding it for extra strength

arpypat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
It's was left loose by the body shop about a year ago when I got into a car accident
Okay, that makes more sense!

Your initial post made it seem like this bolt was just randomly loose from the factory. But I guess there was more to the story!

OP
OP
@thatblu_si

@thatblu_si

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Okay, that makes more sense!

Your initial post made it seem like this bolt was just randomly loose from the factory. But I guess there was more to the story!
Yea I hadn't known the body shop had removed that bolt until the inspection, in the picture you can see the wrench marks from when the body shop removed them, when the car comes from factory you won't see those wrench marks.

the27thaxe

First Name
Benjamin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Honda Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
If that surprises you you'd be terrified by some of the stuff I've seen as an aircraft mech.
I would say it surprises me, I work in the parts sales industry and the things people will do to achieve a "cheap fix" have deadened me to suprises, I just dont understand how people can be so dumb haha

jason510

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
I feel like you have a responsibility to let the body shop know what happened ASAP so this doesn't happen again, if it hasn't already.

This is after all how Dale Earnhardt died.....failed seat belt system.

BTW, I had an '02 Civic seat belt that was acting wonky in '12. Honda replaced it on the spot at no charge.

OP
OP
@thatblu_si

@thatblu_si

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I feel like you have a responsibility to let the body shop know what happened ASAP so this doesn't happen again, if it hasn't already.

This is after all how Dale Earnhardt died.....failed seat belt system.

BTW, I had an '02 Civic seat belt that was acting wonky in '12. Honda replaced it on the spot at no charge.
Yea it's a body shop I've done alot of work with and they're very reputable, at the end of the day I know it was just human error and not straight up negligence so I'm not super upset. But I will be letting them know to always double check safety systems. And as for your 02 civic and anybody else who has old model Hondas, SRS is always lifetime warranty, you can literally bring your 1st Gen civic in and have the seat belts fixed for free.
Sponsored