Sealight H11 LED Headlights overview Xenower X2 & Laxmas L2 - Downgraded from 55W HID

Danny17

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 CIVIC EX
Country flag
Hello,

(Background you can skip this paragraph if you want)
Its been a while since I last posted on here but I thought I'd let the community know about my recent experience with Sealight's LED headlights. Around the time (may 2016) since I got the vehicle I had purchased a 55W ULTRA HID kit from DDMtuning, when the kit arrived one of the bulbs had a cracked filament rod. While the bulbs worked, the one with the cracked filament rod had an awful beam pattern and was noticeably dimmer than the other one. Contacted DDM and they're customer service was appalling to the say the least. They were unresponsive and reluctant on sending a replacement bulb. I said screw it and ordered a pair of morimoto XB bulbs from a local dealer. The bulbs worked great with the DDM's ultra ballasts, they were very bright, and I didn't have any compatibility issues. I did have one of the bulbs die out on me in late 2018, but got it quickly replaced, so I was back in business until recently where one of the ballasts started malfunctioning on me (randomly shutting off, and flickering) I decided to look around for some replacement ballasts but then also set my sights on LED headlights. I was curious a few years ago but wasn't impressed with anything on the market as the earlier bulbs had many issues regarding beam pattern, brightness, durabiltiy, etc. But it looks like most of the recent kits that are out on the market have come a long way since then, which is evident by the amount of people who are opting for LEDs instead of HIDs, not just this forum but many other auto forums.

I saw many kits and many reviews, such as diode dynamics SL1, GTR lighting Ultra 2s, Morimotos 2 strokes, and more. While those kits had many positive reviews they were fairly expensive here in Canada, with the SL1 and GTR LEDs costing me significantly more than replacing the ballasts. I went on Amazon and looked through the kits that were listed there. read reviews, and ended up settling on the Sealight Laxmas L2s. I wanted to actually but the Katanas that everyone here praised but they're not available in Canada. The reviews appeared to be pretty favorable and price-wise were a lot affordable than HID kits or even a quality set of ballasts. What interested me the most about the L2s was their design, they have a thin PCB and structurally mimicked the halogen, so in theory they should work great in the civic's projectors.

Here are some images of the L2s, I gotta say Sealight does a decent job with the packaging. Overall the bulbs appeared to be made out of pretty good materials.
Honda Civic 10th gen Sealight H11 LED Headlights overview Xenower X2 & Laxmas L2 - Downgraded from 55W HID 20200227_124805

Honda Civic 10th gen Sealight H11 LED Headlights overview Xenower X2 & Laxmas L2 - Downgraded from 55W HID 20200227_124911

Honda Civic 10th gen Sealight H11 LED Headlights overview Xenower X2 & Laxmas L2 - Downgraded from 55W HID 20200227_124953

Installation was super easy, much more easier than HIDs since there were no ballasts involved. That was honestly one of the things that pushed me towards LEDs as they simply connect into the factory wiring and there isn't anything extra needed. When it came the Laxmas L2s performance I was disappointed with their output. Don't get me wrong, they're definitely an improvement over the stock halogens that come with the civic, but as someone who had been using a 55W HID kit for the last 3 years I wasn't satisfied with them.
It was raining a little bit so this shot doesn't do the bulbs justice but regardless they were dimmer.
Honda Civic 10th gen Sealight H11 LED Headlights overview Xenower X2 & Laxmas L2 - Downgraded from 55W HID 20200303_192604_LI

They do have a nice cut off however and their beam pattern isn't bad, it was the output that I personally didn't like.
Honda Civic 10th gen Sealight H11 LED Headlights overview Xenower X2 & Laxmas L2 - Downgraded from 55W HID 20200303_192817

I actually ended up contacting Sealight and told them about my experience with the L2 bulbs. Kevin who was their CSR was pretty helpful and apologized for the whole ordeal and immediately offered to give me a refund, which I was very appreciative of. He also told me about their newer Xenower X2 bulbs which are supposed to be brighter than the L2s, but he never quantified the difference, just said "they're brighter". With the positive feedback I had just received from them I thought I'd might as well try them out, worst case I'll have to return these ones as well and get a refund, no biggie.

So the Xenower X2s come in the same styled packaging as the L2 bulbs which is fine.

Honda Civic 10th gen Sealight H11 LED Headlights overview Xenower X2 & Laxmas L2 - Downgraded from 55W HID 20200305_123244

Honda Civic 10th gen Sealight H11 LED Headlights overview Xenower X2 & Laxmas L2 - Downgraded from 55W HID 20200305_123338

Honda Civic 10th gen Sealight H11 LED Headlights overview Xenower X2 & Laxmas L2 - Downgraded from 55W HID 20200305_123358

Quality wise they're similar if not better than the L2s and the same goes for the design. They've got a thin design which is great since that is what you want from an LED bulb to attain the best possible beam pattern and match stock. Only difference with the X2 bulbs is that the metal shield goes all around the board, possibly due to these running at a higher wattage therefore needing the additional cooling.

Performance wise they're definitely brighter than the L2 bulbs and they have a better beam pattern too.
Here you can see the X2 on the left and L2 on the right. The X2 bulb has a bright hotspot
Honda Civic 10th gen Sealight H11 LED Headlights overview Xenower X2 & Laxmas L2 - Downgraded from 55W HID 20200305_200259_LI

With both bulbs installed.
Honda Civic 10th gen Sealight H11 LED Headlights overview Xenower X2 & Laxmas L2 - Downgraded from 55W HID 20200305_201533

Honda Civic 10th gen Sealight H11 LED Headlights overview Xenower X2 & Laxmas L2 - Downgraded from 55W HID 20200309_203956

Honda Civic 10th gen Sealight H11 LED Headlights overview Xenower X2 & Laxmas L2 - Downgraded from 55W HID 20200309_204105

Overall I'm quite please with the Xenower X2 bulbs, while they still aren't as bright as my old 55W HID kit, I'd say they deliver like 80% of the performance. Probably comparable to a 35W hid kit. The beam is pattern on point here, they've got a sharp cut-off, I haven't been flashed by anyone whereas with my HID kit I would get flashed every now and then (even after adjusting). The other thing is that for some reason my old HID bulbs would shake over bumps and potholes, even though I had ensured they were installed nice and snug (even swapped the rubber o-rings with the stock halogens), whereas these bulbs don't do that. So if anyone is looking to replace their stock bulbs with LEDs, definitely check out the Xenower X2s from sealight.

I can't comment on longevity yet, but I'm hoping they last me a few years, by then I think LEDs will have surpassed HIDs. will try to update if anything occurs.

Last edited:

tanginaglaz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Thanks for the detailed review! I'm getting tired of constantly troubleshooting my HIDs. Will switch to these or the Katanas shortly.

Ocelot

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 EX-T sedan, '12 LX sedan
Country flag
Did you have any issues fitting the zenower X2's in the low-beam position?
(do you need to remove anything substantial to get at the back of the headlight assemblies?)
I'm looking to upgrade my lighting, and I only want to do it once.

OP
OP

Danny17

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 CIVIC EX
Country flag
Did you have any issues fitting the zenower X2's in the low-beam position?
(do you need to remove anything substantial to get at the back of the headlight assemblies?)
I'm looking to upgrade my lighting, and I only want to do it once.

Installation was smooth and easy. Simply uninstall and disconnect the halogen bulbs from the factory connector, then plug in the LEDs. I didn't have to remove any covers and the LED bulbs didn't have any issues fitting in the low beam position. They fit in perfectly.

Ocelot

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Installation was smooth and easy. Simply uninstall and disconnect the halogen bulbs from the factory connector, then plug in the LEDs. I didn't have to remove any covers and the LED bulbs didn't have any issues fitting in the low beam position. They fit in perfectly.
Ok, I’m sold
Excellent. I was concerned I’d pull parts off, break things, and find out that the bulbs won’t fit in the housings because the cooling unit takes up too much space.
Now just to find a highbeam solution

eee.ccc

First Name
Vale
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 DC5, 2019 Si Sedan
Country flag
Danny17,

thank you i've been trying to find a good non biased review for our cars for a longass time.
im in the same boat as you with all the research and am overwhelmed with the options, especially when our options are quite limited in canada. the amazon.ca selection is pretty shit.

anyways,

did you install any of them for the foglights?
how are they holding up?
any canbus errors after installation?

OP
OP

Danny17

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 CIVIC EX
Country flag
Danny17,

thank you i've been trying to find a good non biased review for our cars for a longass time.
im in the same boat as you with all the research and am overwhelmed with the options, especially when our options are quite limited in canada. the amazon.ca selection is pretty shit.

anyways,

did you install any of them for the foglights?
how are they holding up?
any canbus errors after installation?

My car doesn't have fog lights so I'm only using them for the low beams. I can't really comment on longevity or reliability since I haven't been driving my car around much these days due to being stuck inside. Since installing them though, they've been holding up really well though.

Ocelot

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I just ordered a set of these Xenower units for my lows as well. If they work out well, I'll subit an order for my fogs too

eee.ccc

First Name
Vale
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 DC5, 2019 Si Sedan
Country flag
haha quarantine shopping. I'm about to do the same for my foglights. the X2s

Ocelot

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I'd like to find this kind of output in a yellow LED for my fogs, but either way, if they are that bright then I'll still put some in my foglight housings

eee.ccc

First Name
Vale
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 DC5, 2019 Si Sedan
Country flag
I'd like to find this kind of output in a yellow LED for my fogs, but either way, if they are that bright then I'll still put some in my foglight housings
I plan on putting the X2 in my Foglights.
It appears that most LED kits are not 3000k temperature colour because the ones that advertise to be 2700/3000k colour usually have their own yellow covering which reduces light output. What I've seen more often is people just putting a yellow overlay on the lens cover to give the yellow effect. This is what I plan to do as well. I will report back once my bulbs have been installed and shipped.

Ocelot

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I plan on putting the X2 in my Foglights.
It appears that most LED kits are not 3000k temperature colour because the ones that advertise to be 2700/3000k colour usually have their own yellow covering which reduces light output. What I've seen more often is people just putting a yellow overlay on the lens cover to give the yellow effect. This is what I plan to do as well. I will report back once my bulbs have been installed and shipped.
I won't be putting any overlays to create yellow from white, if that's my only option then I'll just go with white. I don't put sunglasses on at night, and I'm not going to reduce my light output by making them shine through a film. To each, their own though - I love the yellow look, but I want performance first.

Last edited:

Ocelot

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
They showed up today, I’ll see if I can fit them in the lows tomorrow

Ocelot

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Interested to hear and see your thoughts
I installed them today, no problems with clearance and I didn't have to remove anything to make room to turn them in, less than 5 minutes/side - I still have to affix the controller box, it's still daytime out but they are very bright. I'll confirm dispersion and glare tonight.
I also like that they have a bridge inside the controller box to alleviate polarity issues

it was approx $100.00 CDN landed cost.
Sponsored