Sealant vs. Wax?

16EX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 CBP Civic EX
Hey guys,

I picked up my black civic last week and I love it but the snow in Canada hasn't allowed me to get my first detail in.

I'm brand new to detailing and picked up everything I need including some Collinite wax. I keep reading about 'sealant' products like Chemical Guys to protect the paint over the long-haul.

I'm a little confused because... isn't that what wax is for? Do you recommending sealing my car before waxing?
Sponsored

timothyjay

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Personally, with my basic research and reading up on detailing, I would use sealant then use wax on top of it.

Not exactly sure the science behind it, but to me, it's an extra layer of protection I wouldn't mind doing.

Hey guys,

I picked up my black civic last week and I love it but the snow in Canada hasn't allowed me to get my first detail in.

I'm brand new to detailing and picked up everything I need including some Collinite wax. I keep reading about 'sealant' products like Chemical Guys to protect the paint over the long-haul.

I'm a little confused because... isn't that what wax is for? Do you recommending sealing my car before waxing?

cbreezy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'99 Accord -> '16 WOP Civic Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
To follow up on what @timothyjay said. I was watching videos on how to prep your car for the winter and I stumbled upon this video. This should help ya out! Explanation at 1:04

hluu93

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic (Touring/WOP)
Country flag
The main difference between the two is that sealant is a "synthetic" wax. It will last a few months longer than let's say carnauba wax. Some people like the look of carnauba better than a sealant, so they will just put an extra layer of it over the sealant. I personally only use Meguair's ULW and UQW (both synthetic) and think it looks great as is.

skullan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda LX (6MT), formerly a 2006 Hyundai Accent.
Country flag
I have paint protection film on the car. I read about carnuba wax having a yellowing tinge, which since I have a white car, I want to avoid. I will be going with synthetic.

FC1rob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring & 97 Civic Coupe Turbo
I picked up some Collinite 845 for my Civic as well. I'll be doing a clay bar job first and then I'll do 2 coats of the Collinite. After then two coats then ill hit it with a nice wax job.

CivicTouring

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring, 2014 Ram 1500, 2016 Harley Ultra Limited