Hakke123

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si
Country flag
Haven't found too much information about the usage of seafoam on our direct injection turbo engines. I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations on whether to use the one that sprays directly into the throttle body versus the one that we dump into our gas tank. Some people said that it's bad to use seafoam with our turbocharged engines so I just wanted to confirm if that was true.
Sponsored

SoCalCivicSI

Car Addict
First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
South Carolina Near Spartanburg, formally So Cal
Vehicle(s)
2018 Aegean Blue Civic SI, 2006 2.4 5 Speed EX Accord Sedan, 1973 Ford Ranchero 500, 351 C with 73 Boss 351 block and internals, Holley 750, Edelbrock manifold
Country flag
Why do u want to use SEAFOAM?

justasimpleman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘20 PWP FC1 Si
Country flag
I’ve heard it’s bad also. It can knock stuff loose that can end up in the turbo.

JT Si

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Car
Country flag
If you use top tier gas with detergents, that's all you need.

There has also been no evidence the L15B7 is susceptible to valve carbon buildup.

There are a lot of factors at play, from a well designed PCV system that contains a labyrinth of baffles to minimize the oil recirculation into the intake to a tightly controlled PCV valve that only allows recirculation under specific conditions. The injectors are positioned so under certain loads they spray gas on the back of the valves to keep them clean and supposedly under some loads the engine does a faux Atkinson cycle which pushes air/fuel mixture back out the intake valves, further cleaning them.

There is no need to use seafoam in any way on these engines.

Last edited:

Guitar_stitch

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic SI, 2006 Honda Element, 2006 Chevy Express
Country flag
I would not do it. In a naturally aspirated, low compression engine, sure. However, not in a fast revving, turbo charged, hot running powerpack like our 1.5.
Sponsored